Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Batting Beauty

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Have you ever done this?

Csarina, I think your quilt is very nice. Glad a friend claimed it. I have a different problem, the fabrics I choose don't always have enough difference when viewed from across the room so you don't see the design. Haven't been at this long enough to have orphans!

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by csarina View Post
    Attachment 8000

Yup, this is mine. I made it when my husband was in hospital for a month. It was an Eleanor burns book and I decided to make it up using scraps. When the blocks were finished the lurid red, orange and yellow fabric was the only one that looked anything like on it.

I decided to hand quilt it, in the ditch.....big msitake took me ages, however it was finished just a short while ago, a freind admired it, so she got it!!!
    Hmmm...do you have any other quilts that need admiring?
    Bec

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by newbiequilter View Post
    Csarina, I think your quilt is very nice. Glad a friend claimed it. I have a different problem, the fabrics I choose don't always have enough difference when viewed from across the room so you don't see the design. Haven't been at this long enough to have orphans!
    You need to do a couple of things when picking your fabrics - aim for 1) a light color, a medium color, and a dark color; and 2) a small or a solid pattern, a medium sized pattern, and a large graphic pattern. You will definitely see your design then.

Find a color wheel at your local quilt store and use it when selecting your fabrics - remember your primary, secondary, and tertiary colors when you are picking.

Oh, and another thing I do. Once you pick your fabrics, stack the bolts up and walk away from them. Turn around and view them from a distance and see if they don't talk to you.

All this unsolicited advice from someone who should be following these directions and heading to her sewing room instead of sitting here gabbing today!!!!
    Sometimes, when there's a raging fire,
    it's best not to try to put it out with gasoline.

"...pal carajo con la negatividad..."

Missouri Star

Along the Illinois river-Central Illinois
    Post Thanks / Like

The colors seem a bit harsh?? just dye them with a coffee and tea mix.. that should get all those "shouting at you fabrics" to play together nicely.. I think I saw where a lady mixed her "dye" in a spray bottle, hung her quilt outside and started spraying away til she got the look she liked. Next she let the quilt dry, rinsed with the hose and re-applied dye where she wanted. NOPE, I don't know how big the quilt was.. but it may change your Ugly into Charming.

Prairie Pointer

Post Thanks / Like

Yes, I made a pair of pillow cases because that was all I could get out of the yard sale piece. Had two people I wanted to say thanks to so took the UGLY ONE(to me) and a beautiful coral set. My Sweet Adeline director took the UGLY ones immediately as they matched her bed room. So I have learned my colors are not liked by everyone and it is OK to go outside your color box because someone will think "it's the thing".

Sue
    Last edited by lamkin; August 24th, 2011 at 04:24 PM. Reason: spelling bad

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Granny Judy View Post
    The colors seem a bit harsh?? just dye them with a coffee and tea mix.. that should get all those "shouting at you fabrics" to play together nicely.. I think I saw where a lady mixed her "dye" in a spray bottle, hung her quilt outside and started spraying away til she got the look she liked. Next she let the quilt dry, rinsed with the hose and re-applied dye where she wanted. NOPE, I don't know how big the quilt was.. but it may change your Ugly into Charming.
    Judy, it probably wouldn't hurt to kiss a few frogs out there in the back yard while waiting for your quilt to dry . . .
    Sometimes, when there's a raging fire,
    it's best not to try to put it out with gasoline.

"...pal carajo con la negatividad..."

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Donate all those "ugly" quilts. Honestly, if you were freezing the colors and patterns wouldn't matter a bit! I think given enough time, we will all have something that is not our favorite. I think it is how we learn what we like and what we think goes together. I do believe there is someone that finds those uglies quite beautiful!