Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Designer Diva

Post Thanks / Like

Default help! janome 8900 tension problem fmq

I have the blue dot bobbin. Worked fine the last time I used it. Now NO. Anyone who has one, what do you set your upper tension on? I have worked on this for three days. I am so frustrated. rewound bobbin, new needle, cleaned the bobbin case, rethreaded the top thread, tried different thread, had a drink. Tried to fmq again. No go. Bobbin thread always appears on top.
    Peggy

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: help! janome 8900 tension problem fmq

I bought the blue dot bobbin case for my 8900 and returned it because I could not get it to fit right. I read on the package that it was not compatible with a certain feature on that machine. I would suggest using the bobbin case that came with the machine. Hope this is helpful to you.
    Last edited by goofyizzy; December 14th, 2014 at 10:39 PM.

Designer Diva

Post Thanks / Like

I have no problem with the bobbin fitting, it sits in there just fine.
    Peggy

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Janome does not recommend using the the blue dot for this machine. Did you try the red dot that came with the machine?
    The best kind of sleep beneath Heaven above/ Is under a quilt, handmade with love

Designer Diva

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Terry L View Post
    Janome does not recommend using the the blue dot for this machine. Did you try the red dot that came with the machine?
    Yes I did. Still not good for FMQ.
    Peggy

Designer Diva

Post Thanks / Like

I just looked at their website at the Janome 8900 and they have the blue dot bobbin case as an optional accessory.
    "Bobbin Holder for free motion quilting # 200445007 MC8900, Horizon Memory Craft 12000, Horizon Memory Craft 15000v2, MC11000, MC9900, MC8200, JNH7700, MC6600P, Skyline S5, Horizon Memory Craft 15000 V2 " They also have one for the 7700 with a different part number.
    Peggy

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I am very new to FMQing, so take my advice with a grain of salt. The first quilt I did great but the second one was a big pain. I finally figured out that it was the thread. Even tho it was the same brand as before, it was a different color. Top was one color and bobbin was different color. I wouldn't normally think that would be an issue but it WAS.

After walking away again for a while, go back and put in a new needle (you just never know when you get a bad needle), new type of thread on both top and bobbin and see what happens.

I have the best luck with Aurifil on the top and bottom or Aurifil on top and 60 weight in bobbin. It wasn't Aurifil that caused my problems with the second quilt, it was a different brand.

Good luck.

Designer Diva

Post Thanks / Like

60 weight bobbin thread will solve your problem. Always use bobbin thread for free motion quilting. Since you are obviously using different colors of thread in the bobbin than on top, try making a quilt sandwich and work on that. 60 weight thread is very light weight and the top thread will pull it to the bottom.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I do not have the same type of machine but one thing that seems to help my fmq is using a thread stand rather than using the spool pin on the machine. Maybe having the thread travel further might make a difference.

Designer Diva

Post Thanks / Like

I do use a thread stand and I use Aurifil 50 wt in the bobbin & top. I have gone through 5 - fat quarter sandwiches. Trying it al. Than you all for your suggestions.
    Peggy