Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Shiny Thimble

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: help! janome 8900 tension problem fmq

Quote Originally Posted by Pegger View Post
    I do use a thread stand and I use Aurifil 50 wt in the bobbin & top. I have gone through 5 - fat quarter sandwiches. Trying it al. Than you all for your suggestions.
    Hi Pegger. I've got the Janome 8200 and FMQ with it on a regular basis. I think the 8200 and 8600 are the same base model just with tweaks. It's a bit of a long post but...

I did exactly the same as you - quilted one quilt with no problems, did some piecing and then went back and...eye lash central. I use Isacord and a thread stand. I rethreaded the machine, bobbin, changed quilt sandwiches, changed thread, cleaned out the guts of my machine. nothing. I Youtubed, checked my manual, went onto forums - nada.

I was seriously ready to chuck the thing out the window.

I did manage to fix it eventually but you're probably going to have the same reaction I did to the solution - re-threading. I know, you've done that right? Probably numerous times.

After I'd have a break ( and some liquor) I thought logically about the problem. I hadn't changed my technique so it couldn't be that. The machine was the same. My needle was fresh. My tension settings hadn't changed. So it must have been something I did differently between the first FMQ, piecing and now. The change was that I'd swapped threads so had rethreaded my machine (I use Aurifil for piecing, Isocord for quilting - the quilt police can kiss my shiny metal machine..).

I pulled all my thread out of the machine, switched the light off and went to bed. The next day, I rethreaded the machine as if I was starting afresh (presser foot up, setting 1, feed dogs down) and trying to pretend yesterday hadn't happened. I might have whistled to lull Naomi the Janome into a false sense of security. The little b*stard worked. I couldn't believe it.

I still have no idea which tension disc is missed or why I missed it repeatedly (maybe it was stuck). But it honestly was a threading issue.

Had that not worked, Naomi would have been going to the shop for maintenance.

I'm not sure if this helps Peggers but you're not alone!

2. Thanks fliggie thanked for this post
    Shiny Thimble

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: help! janome 8900 tension problem fmq

Hi did you get this resolved? I just started using an 8900 and everything was fine until I switched to Aurifil on the top. Can't use the autocut button now - really aggravating! Changed my needle recently but I'm going to do it again and rethread every thread for good measure. Just wondering how you resolved your issue. Thanks!