Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Any Suggestions?

Does anyone have an idea of how to make a quilt for where it is quite warm? The southern part of Texas to be specific. Up here in New England, it is easy to decide with our cooler weather, but what do you all do who live where it is warm most of the year? Have you ever made a quilt with just the top and backing? They are needing it to be as a bedspread so it will be larger than what I usually make. Thanks for any help you can give me.
    Have a great day!!

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Any Suggestions?

I made a JRR quilt for an auction. It had a polyester batting. The winning bid was from Texas. She was very happy with the quilt, adding it to her lovely 3 seasons room. If I would know the recipient was from a warm climate, I would do a thin cotton batting, as it is not as warm as polyester. It does get cold in the southern states (although their cold is certainly different than ours!)
    If you are not willing to learn, no one can help you. If you are determined to learn, no one can stop you.- Zig Ziglar

3. Thanks meemeecyn thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Use flannel backing and skip the batting.
    Think of it as more a pieced top receiving blanket.

5. Thanks meemeecyn thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Funny you should ask this today! I made a bed size quilt and used a flannel for the back and NO batting and did piece work for the top. Why I did it that way, I don't remember, it was a WIP for about a year! Anyway, I have been using that "blanket" on the sofa while I watch tv. On my bed, now that it is cooler here (southern california high desert) I needed another blanket so I used the christmas quilt I made last year. cotton front and back and a thin batting, but I don't remember what kind but the whole quilt has crinkled look.

Well the christmas one... on my bed makes me hot! I'll use it till I get hot, then kick it off!. During hte night, if I get cold, I pull it back on but kick it off once hot (I am very busy at night!) So I thought, good grief..this is nuts, and decided to put the pretty one on the bed so I could sleep! I have a flannel sheet, that quilt and sleep in a short flannel night shirt! FIrst night, I was cold! Couldn't believe it! So last night, I put the old blanket back on the bed (store bought and have had for 25 years!) and when I got cold, I'd pull that one back on me! But the point is....the quilt with no batting and flannel back...is not so warm! Probably perfect for what you are looking for. I also have use top, no batting and 100% fleece for the back and my grand son says that is warm. His was made that way.
    SO.. I guess I say all that to say this... it seems to me that based on my experience, no batting with either a fleece or flannel back is a cool warm - like a light weight blanket. A quilt with 80/20% batting is really warm and heavier. I have made them with the thick fluffy batting and have been told by those I gave them to that they are so heavy and so warm, they can hardly use them (out here in So Cal) so for a really warm quilt..use fluffy batting. I have started using the thinnest 80/20 batting and that makes for softer more cuddly quilt but I myself have not actually used one...I have given them away, but they feel nice and cuddly. I have recently thought to buy some 100% cotton batting and pre wash and shrink it and all, but now hear that the cotton batting is not that warm..so you might want to try that, but just be ware...the 100% cotton shrinks and crinkles... so pre wash the batting at least twice and then once finished, when you wash it it will give that crinkle look. Okay, off my soap box!

7. Thanks meemeecyn thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I'm in New Mexico and grew up in Texas, so maybe I can help.

The quilts I've made with cotton tops and backs and used Warm & White are a bit heavier and I use them in winter.
    The quilt I made with a cotton top, flannel back and W&W is almost too warm for me to use, but I sure do like it when I'm not feeling well. Just that little added warmth.
    I made one recently, a scrap quilt, used an 80/20 batting and an old sheet as backing and it is a nice warmer weather quilt. I think the 80/20 wasn't as heavy as the W&W.

If you want it even cooler, but with a bit of body, I'd suggest using cotton on top and back and a flannel as batting.
    K is for Karen .....................Cremation - My last hope for a smokin' hot body.

Before you speak,
    T - is it TRUE?
    H - is it HELPFUL?
    I - is it INSPIRING?
    N - is it NECESSARY?
    K - is it KIND?

Check my User Notes.

9. Thanks meemeecyn thanked for this post
    Quilting Guru

Post Thanks / Like

I make what I call "Florida Quilts", since living in Florida is quite warm you can't have super heavy quilts unless you use lots of AC.

For my Florida Quilts I make the quilt top, then have my front and backing prepped, then layer the two together. Yes, I only use two layers. It's heavier than just a sheet, looks like a quilt with light quilting, and isn't super heavy. We use a Florida Quilt and a regular sheet under it and that's all we need usually year around.

I also prefer the quilter's super wide backing fabric from JoAnn's for my quilt backs since it's a bit less dense for my Florida Quilts.

11. Thanks meemeecyn thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you so much, Ladies! Great feedback. I was hoping the quilters who are used to be in the warmer climates would chime in with suggestions and you did!! I'm thinking about what I will do for piecing.....Sylvia, really like the idea of a JRR.......with enough borders it would work great. Or I may tackle the pattern that Barb (Bubby) shared with us....bordering a charm square with jelly roll. Then will do the 'sandwich' so they don't get too hot.

Thanks so much for your input! Happy Quilting, everyone.
    Cynthia

13. Thanks sewtotallycrazy thanked for this post
    Shiny Thimble

Post Thanks / Like

I haven't done it yet, but I'm thinking of it. My plan is to use a bedsheet (or similar non-pieced cloth) in the middle of the sandwich, just to give it some body. I'm sure there are drawbacks to this approach, but I don't know what they are yet...any suggestions?

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sewista View Post
    I haven't done it yet, but I'm thinking of it. My plan is to use a bedsheet (or similar non-pieced cloth) in the middle of the sandwich, just to give it some body. I'm sure there are drawbacks to this approach, but I don't know what they are yet...any suggestions?
    I've done this kind of thing for pillow covers. It's easier than batting. But a good quality bed sheet will have a tight weave and may be difficult to sew through, so keep that in mind.

Missouri Star

Orange County, CA and Baarn, Netherlands temporarily
    Post Thanks / Like

My mother would use flannel instead of batting for lighter quilts.
    Goodbye Europe! Hello California! Home sweet home.