Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Messenger bag for back to college

What a fabulous bag. Great job!
    Nancy

I got a sewing machine for my husband. Good trade, huh!?!

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Well done, great job.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Not only is SuzyQue the remodeling Queen, she's now taken on the title of Messenger Bag Queen!!! And, on top of that she finds time to oversee Stick Patrol. She's one amazing bundle of Woman!!

Fantastic.
    Sometimes, when there's a raging fire,
    it's best not to try to put it out with gasoline.

"...pal carajo con la negatividad..."

Block Queen

Post Thanks / Like

Great bag your daughter designed,and I love the touch of the patches. I bet all her colledge buddies will want you to make one for them.
    Those who sleep under a quilt are wrapped in love

Batting Beauty

Post Thanks / Like

I'd like SuzyQue to make one for ME! I'll buy your pattern, too. Love the design.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Wonderful job, she'll get a lot of use out of that and the patches are a terrific touch.
    There's still time to change the road you're on - Led Zeppelin, "Stairway to Heaven"

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks everyone for your nice comments. I am sorry that I am just now responding. We delivered our daughter to college yesterday, unpacked her, and set up her room. It was quite late when we returned home. Today was our first day of school here, so I have been quite busy. The daughter has decided to share the pattern.....or what we did, with everyone. I might have been able to sew it, after she did the design work, but I doubt I could produce a pattern with instructions worthy to sell.
    Rhonda---honestly one bag does not make me a tote bag Queen. You can still claim that title!
    Sewbee---you are so right about the planning and details. She got a little carried away, but then again, she doesn't sew!
    Jan and Angela----pattern is coming............very soon...........possibly tonight!
    Mary----already told daughter not to take orders! She would be thrilled to have her friends love it, but I wouldn't be thrilled to keep producing these!!
    Bakermom and Blondie--thanks
    Elaine--waiting to see pics of yours! Go ahead....make that cut!
    Martha?-the black fabric is a twill. We thought the canvas might be too stiff to pipe correctly. We did interface the twill, but we should have interfaced the cotton lining, also. I think the canvas would have been fine.....just a little tough to sew all the layers in a few spots where multiple layers and turning were issues as it was. She is a tiny thing and didn't want a manly bag or something stiff. (I really tried to get her to do a better color, but she really wanted to show off those patches.
    More to come......please be patient! SuzyQue

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks to Nancy and Stitching Woman.

Sandy--thanks for the compliment.......good thing you can't see the house right now! What a mess! We are still in the remodeling phase, but all the broken limbs and sticks are in the burn pile....finally! 3 huge wind storms in a week did clear the dead wood! Being the great mama that can make my babies happy (no matter their ages) always comes first! The house and all the mess had to wait for this project to be completed! She was so happy, so it was so worth it. Not sure about the amazing part, but I am quite a bundle!

Donna---no orders! They will have to covet it and make their own!

Newbie quilter----not making more! I will share the way we did it and you can make one, though. Can't wait to see the pics!

Deb--daughter had a meeting yesterday and had to use the bag.....she only put a folder with a few papers in it. So funny! I think she was fishing for some compliments. I haven't heard if anyone even noticed. The patches were collected on her summer trip to Europe, so she had the plan prior to that. She was upset and disappointed to find out her passport would not get stamped in each country, so this was a way to mark her journey. She use to love the look of old suitcases and trunks with all those travel stickers on it, so I guess this was her inspiration.

Please look on here later tonight or tomorrow am......will really try to write up something kind of understandable for you all. Can't wait to see all the messenger bags, like we have seen all of the totes popping up. How fun! Gosh, I wish I had so much more time to sew...............I think I could really do something to wow you. This was just practical and rather plain. It was fun to read all the sweet comments. Made my day! Thank you!

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Suzy, Practical and plain??? I don't think so! I think you did a fantastic job. And your daughter did a great job in the design of the bag. I love that it has pockets, and a water bottle holder! The outside was decorated nice. This isn't just a plain tote. You both did great! Hugs, Jan L.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Here goes-----please remember this is not my talent. I hope I can make it understandable. Please ask ?? if needed and I will try my best!
    M (daughter) designed the bag after looking at ready-made bags in stores and online....especially online. She also had looked at patterns in books and online. She specifically wanted a bag to meet HER requirements for size and needs. She measured her laptop, stacks of books, her water bottle, her pens, cell phone, and camera. She included 1/2 inch seams (deeming 1/4 inch too narrow and not safe). She measured how much fabric it would take to pouch out the pockets to fit around everything. I then talked her into interfacing the black fabric (it was twill) and lining the entire bag. Remember the dimensions are specific for her and can be altered to fit your needs and your equipment.
    We cut out a piece of twill, interfacing, and the lining fabric (a cotton) that measured 26"x14" (we will call the the main body of the bag. We cut out twill, interfacing, and lining 12"x14"---we will call this the under the flap piece(front of the bag). We cut a piece of twill, interfacing, and lining 5"x36"....call this sides and bottom of the bag. We cut out a water bottle pocket 7"x9" of twill, interfacing, and lining. We cut out a pen and pocket piece 5"x13" of all 3 fabrics (twill, interfacing, lining). Then we cut out a piece of lining only 9" x 7" or so. (not sure on this one). We ironed all the interfacing to the back of the twill. We used packaged magnetic clasps, rectangular buckles, rectangular D rings, and webbing for the handle. We also used a 9" (?) black zipper. (for the interior pocket to hide essentials in)
    Not sure how long I can write, so this will be in installments........more to come.