Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Permanent ink

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Permanent ink

At a retreat a lady had Crayola Washable Markers which were a little beefy but easier to use than the Pigma pens. We used them for signature blocks after testing: Wrote on white muslin or blender (DON'T use white on white printed fabric for your project.) , set the writing with a hot iron, then washed it in the sink with dish-washing liquid. Nothing ran, nothing faded.
    Life, Liberty, and the Pursuit of Fabric
    Martina (aka MadQuilter in other forums)

2. Thanks Crystal thanked for this post
    Machine Stitcher

Post Thanks / Like

A friend is having me make a quilt for her niece's wedding. I tried really hard to convince her to do a quilt like this but its a no go I am so excited...I would have loved to have something like this! Fons and Porter did a Quilty video on this. Rebecca Fons got one for her graduation. There were quite a few tips. This Is My Quilt: Rebecca Fons

4. Thanks Crystal thanked for this post
    The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

26 years ago I got each member of the family to sign around a tablecloth. I then did a simple back stitch on these signatures - these never disappear and it's lovely to look at the writing of the children who are now all grown up. If you have the time, this is just a thought for you to do on the quilt.

6. Thanks Crystal thanked for this post
    Prairie Pointer

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks all. MartinaG, I read somewhere the Crayola washable's can be used to mark then wash out. So I am weary to use that. But I will test them.
    cminor I will go check out the site, Thanks
    Bababoo, that is a thought but would take a really long time. We are expecting around 300 people. LOL But I guess if it starts to fade I can stitch by hand in the future.
    songbird857 and Preeti Thanks for the sites I did go look.
    Vonnie, Thanks I did not know about the heat setting.
    I could not find some of the pens in the links. I found a few and will do a test to see which is best. The good thing is I have till June to test them. So I will wash the fabric many, many times to see.
    Thanks all for all the suggestions.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

The Pentel Arts Gel Roller for Fabric has some very good reviews on Amazon.com. It's advertised as permanent black ink. I'm thinking about ordering some to use for quilt labels. I'm currently using a Pigma pen and the point is too fine to write smoothly (in my opinion). Good luck!
    *~* Myrna *~*
    *~* Quilters lead pieceful lives *~*

9. Thanks Crystal thanked for this post
    Prairie Pointer

Post Thanks / Like

MRoy I bought one of the gel pens to test. Only problem with them are her colors are coral and tan and she wanted brown writing. But she may have to settle for black. I did find one of the Pigma pens today in brown and a 05 tip. It is ok. I have my fabric in the wash right now. Will see how they all do. I have at least 10 on there. But at least half I said NO too because of feathering bad. There are so many out there and a lot of them you can't just buy 1 pen. I don't want to spend $10 on pens that don't work or just to get one pen out of that pack. I would have to spend too much because I want to make sure I have enough pens. Won't just need 1. LOL

Prairie Pointer

Post Thanks / Like

Just to give y'all a update. I have to say the Pentel Arts Gel Roller for Fabric is awesome. I wish it came in brown. It writes sooooo smooth on the fabric. And it does not fade. My second choice and the one I will use because I can get it in brown is the Fabrico dual tip fabric marker. The big side is a little too thick but the fine side is ok. Not nearly as smooth as the Gel roller but it does not fade hardly at all. And I can order exactly what color I want.

Rotary Pro

Post Thanks / Like

I love the Pentel Arts Gel Roller for Fabric. I used it on my label for my DGS's quilt. It came out of the washer and dryer looking just like it did when I wrote it. I did read on the Pentel website that the pen is being discontinued. I ordered a red one and a set of six from Ebay. I don't want to be without a pen for labels.

The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

I used the permawriter on a memory quilt and ironed everything before I gave it to my long armer. I was happy.
    Kathe

Don't practice until you get it right, practice until you can't get it wrong