Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Cold weather Dog owners?

My mini schnauzer, Moose, is now 1 year old and he is different from the Rotties and shepherd I've had, so I'm at a bit puzzled by his behavior lately.

Does your dog's needs change when the winter comes? Since I've changed our habits, I'm not sure whether it's our new routine or it's natural or he's not feeling well. We've been taking a walk...about a 1 mile and some...and when we come back home, he's so mellow and tired. and is perfectly happy to crash somewhere warm near a heat source and stay there for a while (and I can sew) If that's what I should expect, whoopee! I'm in the country and he has about 5 mowed acres to run and explore on, so does a walk calm a dog that much?

He's just went from the butt wiggling, nosey, cat torturing Moose, to this mellow creature that I don't recognize. He starts the day that way, but now after the walk, he's DIFFERENT! He's eating and drinking water, but, for example, I actually left the house to get the mail and he did not leave the bathroom where he laid on the rug while DH was taking a HOT HOT steamy bath before he left for work and then, he laid on the rug and watched DH go out the door without making his usual fuss....he was laying in front of a small heater tho.

SO, I'm wondering about a smaller dog in the winter and coats and such, or should I be making that call to the Vet?

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Cold weather Dog owners?

As a member of the Terrier breed, Mini's are perfectly content in cool/colder weather with a brisk walk, then flopping and luxuriating in their warm home. I have a Boston Terrier. When it's warm outside she s a bundle of energy and zooming like crazy. The smaller breeds are bred purely for companionship and act as an "early warning" system for their families. So I wouldn't worry too much about Moose. If he's good on his feed and water, he's probably just cooling his jets due to Winter. And face it, he's now a year old...........that too has an impact. If my Bostie is comfy where she's laying, she's all about just watching what I'm doing. Unless I peel a banana, I swear that dog can hear you peel a banana from 500 ft! They all have their little idiosyncrasies, LOL!
    What do you mean I'm easily distracted..........HEY LOOK......FABRIC!!!!

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I'll say. I just ate an apple with peanut butter and he didn't even come over and stare at me! That worries me! (But it was nice!)

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

My Cairn is now 11 months old and I can see some of the puppy rambunctiousness mellowing a bit. She napped in her crate for much of the morning - but she is willing to play if I initiate it. I definitely notice that she likes blankets now that the weather is colder, whereas before she really wanted no part of a fleecy warm blanket.
    I would be concerned if you absolutely can't get her to play at all; but if she is eating and drinking ok, and not resisting her walks, I wouldn't panic.

5. Thanks Slokarma thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by songbird857 View Post
    My Cairn is now 11 months old and I can see some of the puppy rambunctiousness mellowing a bit. She napped in her crate for much of the morning - but she is willing to play if I initiate it. I definitely notice that she likes blankets now that the weather is colder, whereas before she really wanted no part of a fleecy warm blanket.
    I would be concerned if you absolutely can't get her to play at all; but if she is eating and drinking ok, and not resisting her walks, I wouldn't panic.
    Cairns ROCK! such coool pups! Sis has one and what a character!
    What do you mean I'm easily distracted..........HEY LOOK......FABRIC!!!!

7. Thanks Slokarma thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Carrie J View Post
    As a member of the Terrier breed, Mini's are perfectly content in cool/colder weather with a brisk walk, then flopping and luxuriating in their warm home. I have a Boston Terrier. When it's warm outside she s a bundle of energy and zooming like crazy. The smaller breeds are bred purely for companionship and act as an "early warning" system for their families. So I wouldn't worry too much about Moose. If he's good on his feed and water, he's probably just cooling his jets due to Winter. And face it, he's now a year old...........that too has an impact. If my Bostie is comfy where she's laying, she's all about just watching what I'm doing. Unless I peel a banana, I swear that dog can hear you peel a banana from 500 ft! They all have their little idiosyncrasies, LOL!
    That's funny that you should mention bananas! Our border collie lab mix loved bananas! The Vet told me to only give him one bite though. But every time I had a banana he insisted that I share with him. My DH could eat a banana and that did not bother him. But, if DH ate crackers he had to have his share. No matter how quiet DH was getting into the crackers our dog would know it even if he was all the way downstairs!
    Vonnie

9. Thanks Slokarma thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I agree with the others that he is probably fine since he is eating and drinking. Growing out of the puppy stage calms them down plus a cool brisk walk helps wear them out. Do watch out when it becomes colder that he is not getting too cold on the walk. And of course, the salt/sand on the paws.

Our border collie/lab who is two years old sure doesn't waste time outside right now with it being cold. She does what she has to and wants back in.

11. Thanks Slokarma thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Little dogs often outgrow "puppy" sooner than big dogs too.

13. Thanks Slokarma thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Our Girls are totally spoiled but they were raised in California and now live in Missouri where the weather can be brutal. I take extra care of their feet and remove ice and snowballs that attach to their skirts and between their toes. Sometimes I stand them in the utility sink with about an inch of warm water to speed up the job. If it's extra brutal outside they get a treat of warm broth when they get back inside. What can I say....Dottie & Olive have trained us well!

15. Thanks Slokarma thanked for this post
    The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

We are a schnauzer family and have owned all the sizes and now have a giant and a giant/irish wolfhound mix. If you are keeping him clipped in the schnauzer mode, he will feel the cold weather more. We always put a coat on our dogs when they go out in the cold. Our little ones would walk then come in and look for the warm areas, whether in the sun or on warm clothes or in front of heaters. I think the walk takes the oooomph out of them. Even our standard acted like that.

I wouldn't worry, but I would make sure that he is warm when he goes out, tho. My vet encouraged us to get coats-she said it is like you going out with no clothes on. Makes sense when you think about. Greta Garbo used to bring her coat to us when she wanted a walk....frayzer the standard, liked his coat, but wouldn't pee with it on and we would have to rip it off so he could go...<<<shaking head>>>dogs. They make you laugh...
    Home is where your mother is..........

17. Thanks Slokarma thanked for this post