Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: APPLIQUE - NEED HELP!!

I had the same problem when I used Heat and Bond. I sort of remember the instructions saying to apply to washed fabrics (the sizing removed) and without fabric softener. Once I got it sort of on the fabric, it was really hard in places to sew through.

I finally got so frustrated that I bought Seam A Seam. I will NEVER use Heat and Bond again.

2. Thanks bscuzz thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I haven't done any applique except in some classes. Here is how I would handle this problem. I would use the quilt label to identify the recipient. So if there is a mix up in the quilts, all they have to do is look at the label, and they will see the name of the quilt owner.
    If you are not willing to learn, no one can help you. If you are determined to learn, no one can stop you.- Zig Ziglar

4. Thanks bscuzz thanked for this post
    The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

I use heat n bond light to do all my applique - if you press it with an iron that is too hot, has steam, or for too long it won't stick - the adhesive just melts away. It shouldn't matter the size of your item - I did a large tree with many skinny branches and it held tight until I got the whole thing stitched down. I don't prewash my fabrics and haven't had any problem fusing to them. I have had problems if I use too much heat or lose track of time and press too long. Good luck.
    Dawn
    A bed without a quilt is like a sky without stars.

6. Thanks bscuzz thanked for this post
    The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by katier825 View Post
    I think the instructions vary for the different fusibles. Are you following the instructions for the one you are using? Make sure the iron is the correct temperature and steam/no steam per the instructions. And if you are using heat & bond, and plan to sew around it, make sure the heat & bond is a lightweight one. If you are going to sew around it, you could also use washable school glue.

also, I think if your fabric was washed with fabric softner, that will prevent it from sticking.
    Thanks katier, so I went to my Heat n Bond packaging which I had (thought I had) read. It says to pre-wash fabrics (ok, so I'm using sample fabrics that have been washed, no softeners). Set iron to wool (medium heat), I did that - - woops, there, in bold print, says "with steam". I ?assumed? 'without steam'!?!? Then because that seemed so contradictory to all the videos and advice I have received, I took another look at the front of the packaging - - which says 'Heat n Bond Fusible "Interfacing"?? More rereading of everything on the packaging says "Craft Extra Firm"? So with my poor reading skills I guess what I have IS NOT good for the appliqué I'm trying to do and even if it were, I DID NOT use steam. I guess I need to get more/different 'fusing' material or try using the washable glue stick! Course I'm puzzled that the 'Freezer Paper' didn't work either. At least I found my mistake, so maybe I can fill in and continue pinning my squares and tomorrow I'll run out to see if I can get the proper fusible!!! Every day is a learning process which is not a bad thing, but time isn't on my side. Thanks again! "B"
    NC sayin's from my mama n' daddy, a reminder, lest I forget:

~I’m gonna tan your hide. (You’re about to get a whoopin’.)
    ~set yourself down a spell ~~every day of the week n' twice on Sundays
    ~knock you clean into next week n' then some ~~deader than a door nail
    ~can't get blood from a turnip ~~your neck o'the woods
    ~You're just playing possum (pretendin' to be asleep when you didn't want to get up n' go to school)
    "B"

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Elmer's washable school glue.

It is possible to heat the fusible so much you just remove the sticky.

I have made appliques with intricate designs, it is NOT your design!

Misty Fuse is my favorite, but since you already have your letters cut out, run a T.H.I.N. bead of the Elmer's washable along the edge, heat set with a DRY hot iron, and stitch it down.

The lovely thing about Elmer's is, it washes away, leaving NO extra bulk or stiffness to your quilt.
    Cathryn

9. Thanks bscuzz thanked for this post