Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

Default Sewing Area ? when you don't have a Sewing Room

I find myself trying to figure out how/where to create a sewing area for myself. Before this new quilting quest when I wanted to sew, I just set my machine up at the end of my kitchen table and did the project at hand - maybe left out a day or two to finish, then put away, no problem, it's only my DH and I most of the time, so the SM at the chair on the end just made us feel like we had company - ok, made 'me' feel like we had company!!
    But now with quilting, it's easy to see you need the SM at the ready! I don't have an extra room I can use, so I'm mulling over the idea of a 'Sewing Armoire' in my B/R - have enough room (I think) if I don't have a ton of fabric. Does anyone here on the forum have good ideas how to create such an area or have a creative "Sewing Area' other than a full-fledged sewing room? "B"
    NC sayin's from my mama n' daddy, a reminder, lest I forget:

~I’m gonna tan your hide. (You’re about to get a whoopin’.)
    ~set yourself down a spell ~~every day of the week n' twice on Sundays
    ~knock you clean into next week n' then some ~~deader than a door nail
    ~can't get blood from a turnip ~~your neck o'the woods
    ~You're just playing possum (pretendin' to be asleep when you didn't want to get up n' go to school)
    "B"

Missouri Star

Along the Illinois river-Central Illinois
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Sewing Area ? when you don't have a Sewing Room

I feel for you and not having space to set up a sewing area. I downsized my clothing and re did my walk-in closet. I don't share it with anyone so wasn't a big sacrifice. have my sewing machine set up in there and shelving all along the sides and above.

Do you have a closet that you could convert?? Otherwise a large wardrobe could be utilized as long as you have a space to set up your machine. maybe search on google for some ideas??

3. Thanks bscuzz thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I use to have a table set up in our bedroom but that became an issue with everyone wanting to be in there with me while I was sewing. So I moved to the living room and would take the machine and table up and down. With the new sewing machine that I bought last spring, I also bought a sewing table (wooden top with metal frame on wheels) - the expensive wood tables were not in the budget. This table and sewing machine have a permanent corner in our living room. It has been there almost 9 months and has actually been fine sitting there. As far as fabric, rulers, and other supplies, you will find them in various locations in the house. Many of them are now in the basement since we put a lot of things into storage. Except for the cutting mats which have a special place in the living room.

Totes under the bed, a small closet turned into a sewing storage, a dresser, the top part of a closet are some places that you might consider using.

5. Thanks bscuzz thanked for this post
    The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

Ladies, thank you for your suggestions - I guess I've been on the right track, I have already considered closets, I actually have 2 small walk-in closets separated by a hallway to the master bath. I plan to declutter and combine most of one into the other and use a good part of one for necessary storage of yardage, mats, rulers, etc. It's just not an option for the sewing area but close enough to be handy storage. There is one armoire online (not my ideal) that would work, has a pull out table and sewing machine storage inside, and I have room for it in the B/R - just not sure about it yet. Would prefer one that would be more compatible with existing furniture, but still a possibility. I'm afraid of how messy it could become if it's always left open. I have an option to use the walk-out basement during the warmer months with plenty of room, just can't use in cold weather because it's not heated - at least not enough to be comfortable to sew. Maybe I could have a tidy B/R during the Summer while I sew in the basement! I actually like sewing in the kitchen, in the middle of everything, nice view out back to the woods, can see TV if the hubs is watching, can grab a snack! or answer the door - for packages! Plan to take my time, mull it over, stay open to other options - and hope I settle on the best place to do my quilting!! Thanks again . . . . to be continued. "B"
    NC sayin's from my mama n' daddy, a reminder, lest I forget:

~I’m gonna tan your hide. (You’re about to get a whoopin’.)
    ~set yourself down a spell ~~every day of the week n' twice on Sundays
    ~knock you clean into next week n' then some ~~deader than a door nail
    ~can't get blood from a turnip ~~your neck o'the woods
    ~You're just playing possum (pretendin' to be asleep when you didn't want to get up n' go to school)
    "B"

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Another thing to do is get everything off the floors and start doing shelving on the walls. Decorating shows always say it's the most unutilized space.

Lorie

8. Thanks bscuzz thanked for this post
    Binding Belle

Post Thanks / Like

bscuzz - I posted the same exact problem as you are having - no room! I have a spare bedroom and have my machine on a table that has 4 drawers and the side pulls out to make an extension. However, I have no place for my cutting mat. The top of the bed is doing for now but I saw a hobby table (foldable) at Joann's Fabrics and considering moving the beds around to make room for it. Also, someone (can't recall the name sorry) suggested a folding table that folds in half and easy to stash under a bed etc. The hobby table and fold in half table are different.

10. Thanks dlsnaples, bscuzz thanked for this post
    Block Queen

Post Thanks / Like

My sewing machine has always been in the living room. After starting quilting found I didn't have enough room, started looking around for a used kitchen table and found one at a yard sale. Had hubby put a hole in the lower right corner to sink in the sewing machine. Plastic drawers under table on left side. I now have plenty of room for quilting. Fortunately for me hubby doesn't mind all the quilting stuff in the living room. Lol.

12. Thanks bscuzz thanked for this post
    The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

I cleaned out a chest to store all my quilting supplies in, put my fabric in Rubbermaid bins stored in the garage, and sewed on the kitchen table. Then I decided to convert one of the spare bedrooms into a sewing studio. I am so happy with my arrangement. I can leave my current project out all of the time. It makes it easier to just run in and sew whenever I want to. I still have one guest bedroom available for the grandkids.

14. Thanks bscuzz thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I just bought this for my DD for Christmas.. I worked at Walmart a few years back and sold a ton of them to "hubby's" for their wives for gifts..might just be "on line" only,,, but site to store is wonderful...
    When I first moved to my ret. com... I used a walk-in as my sewing room... DH put a ton of shelves going "up" which worked, as well it's helpful to use "storage" cabinets (file, nightstands, anything with drawers at the right height),,, and a piece of heavy plywood, or prefab kitchen counter top from a "big box store".. this way you can gain side space, determined by how far apart the 2 cabinets are..
    I've spent my whole life,, making room in a small space... (10lbs, in a 5lb bag if you get my drift
    I now finally have a whole room and guess what,, it's STILL overloaded... LOL,, but I work well in chaos!!!
    "Each day well-lived and Happy;
    that's all there is to Life!"

16. Thanks bscuzz thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GrammaBabs View Post
    I just bought this for my DD for Christmas.. I worked at Walmart a few years back and sold a ton of them to "hubby's" for their wives for gifts..might just be "on line" only,,, but site to store is wonderful...
    When I first moved to my ret. com... I used a walk-in as my sewing room... DH put a ton of shelves going "up" which worked, as well it's helpful to use "storage" cabinets (file, nightstands, anything with drawers at the right height),,, and a piece of heavy plywood, or prefab kitchen counter top from a "big box store".. this way you can gain side space, determined by how far apart the 2 cabinets are..
    I've spent my whole life,, making room in a small space... (10lbs, in a 5lb bag if you get my drift
    I now finally have a whole room and guess what,, it's STILL overloaded... LOL,, but I work well in chaos!!!
    I have a Horn cabinet similar to that. What always bugged me about them was the unused space behind the door when cabinet is open. One of those office type 3 drawer chests fits under the leaf quite nicely, and if you add some shims to the top of the chest, you don't need to hook the holder for the door. It's more stable on the chest anyway. I rarely shut my cabinets.

I took over the dining room. Still crowded as I do other crafts and hobbies in there, too.

18. Thanks bscuzz thanked for this post