Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Applique Angel

Post Thanks / Like

Default $350 for featherweight?

I don't have the cash for this right now, but I am curious if this is a good deal.

Singer FW 221 vintage sewing machine
    Melissa

I really hate it when the voices in my head argue among themselves as though I wasn't even in the room.

I tried to be normal once......worst two minutes of my life.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: $350 for featherweight?

It's probably about the going rate. There are others here who have more knowledge, but it seems like they run between $250 and $450. For $350, though, I think I would want it serviced and ready to go.
    Donna

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I just found my Bernice for $250. and it is in excellent shape with the attachments and a good carrying case. The Sewing machine dealer I buy my new machines from sells them from $395 up.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

A lot of the standard feet are missing as well as the part the ad talks about with the bobbin winder. It does have a buttonholer and the book. I would think more about $300 with the missing items.
    K is for Karen .....................Cremation - My last hope for a smokin' hot body.

Before you speak,
    T - is it TRUE?
    H - is it HELPFUL?
    I - is it INSPIRING?
    N - is it NECESSARY?
    K - is it KIND?

Check my User Notes.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

That is what I paid for mine, but it was in excellent condition and I think the only original thing missing was the oil can, which I would have liked to have. Mine belonged to an aunt of one of my good friends and when the aunt died, Kris was in charge of the estate and cleaning out of the house which was huge. I would ask often about if she had found any machines, but the answer was always the same, then one day she did! It was a Singer, probably from the 60's I had no interest in.

The last time I asked her, she stopped dead in her tracks. She said, you know, about four months ago I found this black case I carried it to my car without looking inside. Well, my eyes bugged out, I started drooling, you know.....I asked is it about this big? as I held up my hands to measure. And she said yes. She said do you know what was inside? I said really drooling now, well I'm hoping it was a cute little sewing machine and she said yes!!! It now lives at my house.

On a sad note, we were recently at some friends and this story came up and they told me that when they moved, all items not sold at their garage sale went to the Goodwill....yep, you guessed it! It was her aunts and came from England. I think she said it was white.
    pat.

No rain....no rainbows!

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bubba View Post
    On a sad note, we were recently at some friends and this story came up and they told me that when they moved, all items not sold at their garage sale went to the Goodwill....yep, you guessed it! It was her aunts and came from England. I think she said it was white.
    Oh no. A white one. That is sad. I'm sure it made someone very happy, though. Hard to believe it didn't sell at the garage sale.

I am keeping an eye out for one. My dear friend, who is too good to me, learned to sew on her mother's 221 and I would love to find an affordable one to give her. Like my Mom's 301, her Mom's was traded on a Golden Touch and Sew in the '70's. Worst machine ever made.
    Last edited by dwil23; November 24th, 2014 at 10:39 PM.
    Donna

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I know....I think my heart stopped for a moment.
    pat.

No rain....no rainbows!

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I found a black one at a flea market last summer and my eyes bugged out when I saw his price. I was expecting to see $250 or so and when I saw $50 OBO I had to keep looking at the ground to get my composure back before he saw me drooling. I offered him
    $30 and he said "how about $35. " I think it took 0.5 seconds for me to pay him and get out of there before he saw my grin and happy dance.
    Dolores

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Doloris View Post
    I found a black one at a flea market last summer and my eyes bugged out when I saw his price. I was expecting to see $250 or so and when I saw $50 OBO I had to keep looking at the ground to get my composure back before he saw me drooling. I offered him
    $30 and he said "how about $35. " I think it took 0.5 seconds for me to pay him and get out of there before he saw my grin and happy dance.
    I wouldn't have even haggled w/$50.......
    pat.

No rain....no rainbows!

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bubba View Post
    I wouldn't have even haggled w/$50.......
    I would have given him the $50, but he did put OBO on it so I had to try. Now I am looking for a white one, but my top dollar on that is $100. someday I might just stumble on one of those too.
    Saw plenty of black ones over my top dollar before I found the one I got. The decals are in very good shape and there are no marks on it either. The case is in great shape, but I don't have any keys for it.
    Dolores