Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Shiny Thimble

Post Thanks / Like

Default Beginning Sewer/Quilter... Need Help

I gifted my husband a quilt for his bed at the firestation for our 2nd anniversary... meanwhile, almost 2 years later... I have yet to do it! It's not a pattern quilt, it is more of a primary fabric with a border, I want it to have the fire department shield, a firefighter helmet and boots and axe. What is the best way to incorporate the shielf, helmet, boots and axe??? I was initially thinking applique, but have had no luck finding patterns. Just not sure what all options are out there to use to make these shapes or incorporate them into the quilt.

Here is the design... if anyone has any input it is really appreciated. Thank you
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	FF Quilt Red.jpg 
Views:	118 
Size:	49.2 KB 
ID:	93311

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Beginning Sewer/Quilter... Need Help

Hello and welcome. Wow! You have quite the challenge. I hope there are others that will offer suggestions. I haven't done any applique - yet - but I do think it is definitely something to consider for this project. Here are some suggestions (based only upon things I have read, not anything that I have done!).

1. Can you get a copy of the department shield that you can copy/enlarge to the size you want, and then trace and cut out for applique?

2. For the hat, boots, and axes - see if you can find these as symbols, and then, again, print and size accordingly. I think these will also have to be applique. Some people get shapes from coloring books. There should be something out there about firefighters.

3. Do a query for "firefighter design quilting material" and see if you find anything. Even if you can't use it for the top, you might find something that you would like to use for the backing.

I hope this helps.
    If you are not willing to learn, no one can help you. If you are determined to learn, no one can stop you.- Zig Ziglar

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Have it printed on fabric and then it is like a panel. Add borders and you are done with the quilt top.
    That is the short (shortest) cut!!!!

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Vonnie

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I just did a google image on fireman fabric: https://www.google.com/search?hl=en&...94.33r1t3jWhIY

Lots of neat choices!
    Vonnie

Binding Belle

Post Thanks / Like

How sweet for you to do this. I come from a family of Firefighters and Law Enforcement. Almost everyone is retired except for a few cousins and nephews and nieces. I'm so proud of them all. Prayers to keep your hubby safe. Sorry, I don't have any ideas for you. I'm a fairly new quilter myself. Just had to let you know what I'm feeling.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

What a wonderful idea. I think the best way to make that quilt would be applique. Do a search online for images: fireman clipart, fireman coloring book, fireman line clipart, fireman axe clipart, etc. You want an image that is black and white outlines-like a coloring book.

Also, go to the web page of the fire station and look at the emblem. Print it out and trace around so you have an outline of the image.

Try to keep the applique simple. Use Steam a Seam 2 for the applique. It is soft and won't make the quilt stiff or gunk up your needle. Amazon.com: steam-a-seam 2: Arts, Crafts & Sewing

Here is a sample search of images:

https://www.google.ca/search?q=firem...+lline+clipart

https://www.google.ca/search?q=firem...coloring+pages