Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Advice needed for puckered back

I decided to try spray basting, but I obviously should have used pins. As I went around in concentric diamonds I ended up with twisting of the back. There are some small tucks, but the bigger issue is that it doesn't lay flat.

My idea is to cut off the back, close to the stitching, but not unpick it. So my stitching would stay on the front. I would then add a new back and add more stitching to make sure it all stays together.

It is intended to be a wall hanging for my daughter (or a lap quilt). I don't think it will be laundered much, so the utility of the quilting is less important to me than the look.

Any advice?
    ~Louise

What do we live for, if it is not to make life less difficult for each other?
    George Eliot

Applique Angel

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Advice needed for puckered back

I LOVE spray basting!! It holds everything very well together; my thought is that maybe you didn't spray enough - ? What kind did you use? 505 is probably the most popular, and you see it mentioned the most on the forum here. June Tailor has one also. I just tried a new one on the market by "Mettler", and love it even better than the 505! After turning back 1/2 of the quilt back and spraying the batting, you need to smooth, with pressure, from the middle out to the edges. Then lift back the other side of the quilt, and do the same for that side. Then turn it over and repeat for the other side of the quilt. I smooth completely both side again, to make sure it's wrinkle free. I know some people even iron it down. You could put a pin here and there if you felt the need, but the spray really should hold it.

Are you twisting and turning in a very small throated machine? I would be very careful how I moved it, and smoothed it down before stitching.

Try again! Spray basting is really great, and a time saver.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I've never used the basting spray. I use quilting pins. JCY

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I didn't use any of those. It is old, so maybe it wasn't so good. Plus, it smelled like rubber cement and the other posts on spray basting mention that those good brands don't smell. I think I turned it so much that it would be hard for anything to stick.
    ~Louise

George Eliot

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

sometimes If you are twisting and you don't have a good even layer of spray it can twist free when your working in small areas turning like that. I make sure I get a very even strong layer and I do heat set mine doing that I never had it twist up. But when I first started using it I did not always get that even layer and had it work free. Your fix sounds like a good idea so I hope it works for you sorry you had the trouble.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

The cans can get old and sometimes if they have been sitting for a long time they really need to get shook up really really well. I use 505 or tailor brand.

Quote Originally Posted by LRM View Post
    I didn't use any of those. It is old, so maybe it wasn't so good. Plus, it smelled like rubber cement and the other posts on spray basting mention that those good brands don't smell. I think I turned it so much that it would be hard for anything to stick.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

First, let me say ..wow...cool idea! That could really work I think if you snip close as possible to the stitches. IF it were me, I'd do it cause I know I would throw the thing away if I had to sit and pluck out massive number of those tiny stitches!
    But as others have said... spray adhesive AND pins are the way to go. One backs up the other and are used for different reasons but both needed for a good secure sandwich. If just doing straight lines FMQ..I'd suggest the walking foot too. I dont' like using mine cause it makes so much noise it drives me nuts and I have to break often for silence...but...as for puckers...it really helps keep those to a minimum!

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by coffeebreak View Post
    First, let me say ..wow...cool idea! That could really work I think if you snip close as possible to the stitches. IF it were me, I'd do it cause I know I would throw the thing away if I had to sit and pluck out massive number of those tiny stitches!
    I'd rather poke my own eyes out than unpick all that I did. I bought backing that was 115 inches wide and bought enough to have one piece for the back, leaving me with enough to redo. I'll let you know how it goes!
    ~Louise

George Eliot

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I was thinking it might have something to do with the lack of a walking foot, too. My regular foot really causes me fits if I try to sew long distances with it. I bet sewing in a spiral would create a mess.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I cut away the puckered parts (the quilting made channels) and put on a new back. Added new quilting and didn't have any problems. I used spray and pins! You can't see the new quilting in the pictures, but it turned out great.
    Here's some pictures. The color in the later photo is off -- too dark for good photos. It really is the same color back.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20141123_224858.jpg 
Views:	73 
Size:	96.4 KB 
ID:	93313Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20141123_205411.jpg 
Views:	78 
Size:	87.8 KB 
ID:	93314
    ~Louise

George Eliot