Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    4 Patch Pro

Post Thanks / Like

Default Twister Tool Tips Needed

I purchased the Twister Tool and have made one attempt at making the wreath that Jenny does in one of her tutorials. My only problem is that cutting around the tool can be very difficult. The bottom, right side and top aren't so bad but that left side is a bear and what's happened is, my rotary cutter has skidded and ended up jumping and slicing into the square below... so when I get down to that square and go to cut again, there's a slice in it. This happened in a few places. Also, if you're not really careful when cutting, you cut into the next square.

Has anybody tried using this tool? Any suggestions on make it easier to cut more accurately without screwing up the other squares? Also, these few little stray cuts that have sliced my squares...any idea how I might hide those and go ahead with completing the project? It seems like if you make one mistake it ruins the whole thing. You can't just make another block.

I thought I was gonna love this tool (and I do love the finished product), but I would sure like to make it easier to use! Thanks!

Rotary Pro

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Twister Tool Tips Needed

Spray adhesive on the back of the template? Something that will temporarily grip over and over.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-d1sqIfUctQ

Binding Belle

Post Thanks / Like

Kathytown....I have the tool, but haven't used it yet. I'm going to watch and see who else has a response. Sorry you are having trouble.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

The template has rubber grippy feet on it to raise it above the seams. So spray won't be the answer. My template hasn't slipped but it is difficult to cut in 4 different directions around it with a rotary cutter and get it to completely release. Depending on what size template you use, there isn't much room for error between rows of blocks. If you find yourself cutting too wide, just cut almost to the corners and finish the cut with a sharp pointy scissors. I've used the regular twister and the little twister, not the teeny tiny ones. I made a bed size quilt with the little twister with about 300+ twister blocks, I got a lot of practice with that one for sure!

And unless your over cut is really deep, the cut edge of the damaged block is usually within the seamline. If you are making a wall hanging, you aren't going to be washing it a lot, which could be an issue with a seamline that has a nick in it. Go forth! You'll get the hang of it!

And I love making twister projects!
    Last edited by Jean Sewing Machine; November 23rd, 2014 at 05:05 PM.

4 Patch Pro

Post Thanks / Like

I had the same problem the first time I used it. I only slipped in a couple places so most of the problems were hidden in the seams, but I did use fray block in a couple places to make sure the cuts didn't rip open. If you have someone who can help you, have them stand on the other side of the cutting table. You do the two cuts on your side and have them do the two cuts on the other side. Or you could use another ruler or even a heavy block of wood at the end where you often slip to keep your rotary cutter from going too far. Good luck!

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I also use a smaller rotary cutter.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

You can't use a 28mm cutter, you have to use a 45mm. 60 would definitely be too big. The 28mm won't fit down over the edge of the template because the center pin that holds the blade in place keeps it from going all the way Into the fabric.

4 Patch Pro

Post Thanks / Like

I have 4 different size twisters an love them all. That being said try a smaller rotary cutter and cut on table where you can go around to the other side and cut. You can also use a pen and trace around the twister then cut with scissors.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Robin in Washington State View Post
    I have 4 different size twisters an love them all. That being said try a smaller rotary cutter and cut on table where you can go around to the other side and cut. You can also use a pen and trace around the twister then cut with scissors.
    I saw someone make a Halloween wall hanging with the itty bitty twister tool. She did the trace and cut method that you describe.

Applique Angel

Post Thanks / Like

Do you have a rotating cutting mat? That really helps when cutting all 4 sides; you just turn the mat, template on top of the fabric, without moving the fabric and/or template - which is a lifesaver! If you nick into the next block, you can try to iron on the back some fusible tricot; it's so lightweight you really don't notice it's there - and the fusible fuses the cut edges together.

I do agree it's not easy to stop cutting exactly at the corners of a square template; very easy to overcut! You could draw a line down the side to help you see where to stop with the rotary cutter on that edge... it takes practice and a careful eye, for sure!!