Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Friday!

Missouri Star

Orange County, CA and Baarn, Netherlands temporarily
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Friday!

When I was a kid and we were living in Richmond with my grandmother, mom used to go down to the basement and shovel coal into the furnace. I can only imagine how much she must've hated doing that. There's a woodburning stove in the living room of the house in Baarn but we haven't used it. Since it's not our house I think Joe hesitates to start it up. I haven't been there when it's been the coldest and darkest. Since I go back end of January I'll get a taste of serious winter in the Netherlands. Not much light, lots of rain, and probably quite chilly.

So far, when I go home and sleep in Mom's bed I'm okay with it. No dreams about her. Actually, it feels kind of nice to snooze in her bed knowing that it was her place of rest for so many years. Dad slept in that bed for many, many years as well.
    Goodbye Europe! Hello California! Home sweet home.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Cathy F View Post
    Morning all,
    Sun is shining and not quite as cold as it has been, so guess I have to hit the grocery store today. Not my favorite thing to do but we like to eat!

Last night was the last session of the Holiday cookie class I took. It definetly went better the second night. All the mixers were up and running. Will put some cookies away for Thanksgiving in case the grandkids drop by if I can keep hubby out of them. We did 6 different cookies, rugelah, rainbow, linzer tarts, gingerbread, cranberry white chocolate biscotti, and a pignoli amoretti cookie.

Haven't been in the sewing room in the past few days, my bad! Have to get going on a few more Christmas gifts in order to make my "done by" deadline. I would like to enjoy December and not play "beat the clock".
    Blondie- you are the best daughter a mother could have!
    Amy- your chuckle of the day brought a smile to my face. My husband thinks I'm a tribe of 1!
    Carolyn- well wishes for your mom.

off to start my day with another cup of coffee-
    Come on now - when you show up for the morning thread and talk about cookies you have to offer each of us a couple for our coffee.
    Sometimes, when there's a raging fire,
    it's best not to try to put it out with gasoline.

"...pal carajo con la negatividad..."

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

The new computer is acting slow and bit twitchy this morning. It has one of those touch screen deals and it's jumping instead of scrolling smoothly. Grrrr. At least we are still within the 90 day return period.

I have to make a run to town to pick up the key for the library for a meeting on Sunday. I'm also going to return the bucket of beads I bought last night. I can get them for less on Amazon or @ J's with a coupon. I'm not sure what I was thinking, other than that place had had them at a better price the last time I was in there. Oh well.

Then home and back to the sewing room!

I hope you all have a great day! Hugs, Cathy
    Be who you are and say what you feel
    because those who mind don't matter,
    and those who matter don't mind. - Dr. Seuss

http://www.toggpine.wordpress.com

Missouri Star

Just outside of St. Louis in rural Missouri
    Post Thanks / Like

Never had anything but a regular furnace growing up. Oil, then gas. My first DH and I had a fireplace that we used regularly in the fal and winter. I am having a hard time with the upcoming holidays. Thanksgiving is next week, and I would just as soon for go it, but DD wants me to do it so I will. She has to work til 4 so it will be an early evening dinner for us. I have not done a lick of Christmas shopping. Can't get in the mood...it has gotten progressively worse since mom's passing, and the great divide in the family. I do know I am getting 3 GK's new TV's for their new rooms at there new house. It is gonna be a rush and a push to get in and finished before Christmas. She was supposed to close on the first, but it has been pushed to the middle of Dec. THAT will have me totally stressing. Ok enough of my whining, I have things to do. Hugs and blessings to all. Prayers for those in need. (some of our sisters REALLY need them)
    Blankets wrap you in warmth, quilts wrap you in love

Marilyn......

The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

Running late tuning in today. DH is sick with a miserable cough. He went to the Dr. Wednesday and got a box full of meds. Stayed at home and felt better. Yesterday I couldn't tie him down and he was off in the cold all day. Last night he was up all night with the cough and wheezing in between. Old men are a PIA! He is home today and feeling better again. By the way, the work he has been going to is a volunteer job with a local charity. He doesn't have to be there every day. He has an assistant who can handle it with a little help by phone.

I got my mammogram today. Have all of you had yours this year? Then the usual round of shopping, mostly groceries. What a boring life I have!
    Last edited by Navy Wife; November 21st, 2014 at 06:00 PM.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

In my book, boring is good--I prefer to avoid adventures and excitement (just a hobbit at heart, I guess).
    Courtesy is not optional.

http://theeclecticabuela.blogspot.com

The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

Love your post Blondie!!! I was just thinking the other morning, while bringing in wood for the wood stove, I have been carrying wood or stacking it since I was 8 years old. I remember my DB dropping a log on my thumb. I lost my thumb nail, it was around Halloween. Nothing like the smell of a wood fire in crisp cold air!!! It has been a long week. The hunters are coming up to our county for the first day of bear season tomorrow. At least I have the whole weekend off. Hope my DD comes to see me tomorrow, haven't seen her in months. She doesn't sew but she is learning to crochet. It is a start!!! Have a great weekend everyone!!! :-)