Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Friday!

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Friday!

Good Morning! Everyone seems in the house has decided to get up early and get moving this morning. I have errands to run a little while later. The week has gone by quickly. On Wednesday we had headed to the city for the day. I did get some Christmas shopping done. The American Girl of the Year happens to have the same name as our daughter so I picked one up for dd for her Christmas. Since the doll is only around til Dec 31 and there is a limited number so I wanted to make sure I got one picked up for dd. While we were in the city, we stopped in to the new IKEA store for a short bit. Someday when I have more time I'd like to go back and look around more. We needed to get back to town as our church had our annual Thanksgiving Dinner. We served over 200 people and the ladies had made everything for scratch - it so yummy.

DH is getting ready to celebrated 15 years with the company that he works for. As a thank you, the company gave him a nice gift card that can be used at a variety of stores. And he just gained another week's vacation It is hard to believe that he has been there 15 years. Time goes by so quickly.

Yesterday evening I got back to the sewing machine. I worked on two table runners that I will hopefully get quilted later today. Then if there is time, I want to start cutting fabric for the two quilts for Christmas gifts.

We, personally, never had a woodstove growing up. My grandparents did have a wood burning fireplace that I remember making fires in one many cold days and nights. I remember in the evening going to get the biggest piece of wood we could find in the woodpile to put in the fireplace so that it would burn all night long (during the day, we used smaller pieces of wood because we would be awake to restock the fire when it got low). That was not the only source of heat but I sure loved the warmth from the fire. Wonderful memories.

Have a great Friday everyone

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Good Morning, All ~ Wood stoves & building fires reminded me of my dad as well. However, in some of the parsonages we lived in, there was a big furnace, usually coal burning. I would hear my dad up early, shaking down the ashes & clinkers, & building up the fire. The sound would come up through the heat registers. Before long, the heat would radiate up. One place, we had a coal stoker & had to keep the hopper filled. The clinkers were spread out on the driveway. My dad's been gone almost 30 yrs.

Yest. I sandwiched & basted the Topiary Tiles pattern baby quilt. It's ready for quilting. I just need to practice a new FMQ design on my white board & a sample block, then I'll be good to go. I hope to do the FMQ this afternoon.

The sun is shining. It's supposed to be ~50 deg. Much of last week's snow has melted. I feel bad for the folks in Buffalo. I just can't imagine all that snow all at once!

Have a good week-end, everyone. JCY

The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

Hi.

Got DS Quilt figured out - what I did wrong. Resewed it and to sew back together. Almost finished oldest GDs top for her Christmas quilt. I'll try to post a pic not sure how well that will go. It's not a problem with the website,it's a problem with my mind. It's like Jenny says mankind presses to the dark side.lol

I feel for all of you with parent issues. Christmas seems to make us remember 'll those great memories. They are so precious. You get to SMILE.

Hugs to all and prayers for all of you, my friends.
    Mary

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Late this morning, needed to get an email concerning quilting threads off to my sister so she could read it at work.

Yes it's Friday and next week is Thanksgiving so can Christmas be far behind? Gathering my thoughts and ideas for Christmas gifts and after all the big Black Friday hullabaloo I'll make a trip through a few stores and pick up some good gifts. Grandkids ages 14 - 32 like gift cards so I always add a personal gift or two - one DGD and family in CA so I want to get their gifts early and mailed before the big mail rush. Another DGD lives in New Orleans but she and her DH will be in Jersey during Christmas week for her sister's wedding so we'll exchange gifts during that time.

Had a bit of a scare this morning. Mention earlier this week someone ransacked our car and van, GPS taken, reported it to police. Last night DH was at a meeting and I dozed off reading, got phone call from someone named Kevin talking about a report but I was groggy and didn't understand what he meant. Was asleep when DH returned home and it seems police woman stopped by with a copy of report about cars' break in, she told DH they caught the guy and he was in jail with $100,000 bail which he could never make. This morning I saw the report and the person arrested was named Kevin C...... so I got worried if he was the Kevin who called last nigh and how did her know our phone number. Quick call to police and it was cleared up as the Kevin who called was a police officer and Kevin the suspected thief is still in jail. We are going away this weekend can now can go without worrying.

Youngest DGD in MA turns 18 next week but she'll be with her Mom for Thanksgiving so we're going to celebrate this weekend at her Dad's Dads (DS#3) who she lives with. Her gift is the memory ring I had made for her. A few years ago I had rings made up for each of our 6 DGDs, small white gold rings with diamond chips from my MIL's wedding band, pearls from my old wedding rings and each girls birthstone. Rings much like what young people use as Promise rings. Should have looked for a ring dish for her but too late as we're leaving for MA in the morning. Maybe we'll get to do some shopping while up there. She's taking a fashion (sewing) course at high school so maybe we'll need to take a run to Joann's, always have my J's coupons in my purse.

Off to get clothes ready for our trip, first need to check weekend weather in MA - they live between Boston and the beginning of Cape Cod so it might be a bit colder up there than here. More coffee needed first before doing anything constructive.

Blondie and JCY, Fond memories of your Dads and building the heating fires. I used to help my grandfather heat his 3 family row house, top floor never got the heat they wanted but first and second floors were too hot. I often shoveled some coal on the fire in the big furnace to keep it going and it the summertime was pretty much in charge of keeping the pot belly stove going for hot water. Plenty of fond memories stirred up by this cold weather.
    Last edited by MayinJerset; November 21st, 2014 at 11:54 AM.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Cathy F - Assortment of cookies sound wonderful. I need to make some Rainbows for Thanksgiving and Small group Pot Luck but would love to have the recipe for the pignoli amoretti cookie, a childhood favorite from the local pastry shop.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Oh, the cookies. YUMMMO. Maybe I'll have time to make some this year.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Need more coffee--I looked at my email and wondered why Jenny has posted a "new shocking tutorial"!

Hope to baste a quilt today--cleaned house yesterday, and with this runnyrunny nose and sneezing, that was all I had the energy for.

Wishing a good day to all.
    Courtesy is not optional.

http://theeclecticabuela.blogspot.com

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Good morning everyone. I haven't been on the forum too much lately as my time has been very short. I have had a tear in my eye as everyone is describing some of their memories with their dads. It is so precious to have those memories to keep close to us and we can call on them any time we need a hug or strength to carry on with our duties.

I have been with my mom a lot since her stroke a couple of weeks ago-trying to help my 83 yo dad who insists on looking after her at home. She was in hospital for a week but is home now. She is a little less confused than she was but has definite dementia. Dad does a pretty good job looking after her and the house. As much as we would like him to consider long term care, I am beginning to realize that looking after her has put a new spark in his life. He now has a definite reason to get up every morning. He was still working, driving a transport, in his early 70's when he had a serious heart attack and subsequent heart surgery. He had to give up his job and sell his truck and they took away his truck driving licence. Dad went through the surgery well but developed a major depression after all was said and done. No wonder, so many life changing events had occurred and not of his own choosing. He is now back to being his old self again and I know it is because he feels like he has a purpose again. Of course I try to help as much as possible but they are pretty independent.

Love your parents and talk to them often- they wont be here forever.

I always get excited when the American Thanksgiving preps start- you all really know how to do it and stretch the holiday into a month of fun and celebration. I live close to the American border so I can kind of live vicariously through you and get that holiday feeling for a whole month. Happy holidays to all and travel carefully and safely if you are visiting family and friends. I see today on our news that Black Friday sales are starting today so I guess you are stretching it into another week. Yippee. I love the holiday season.
    Grandma Nan

Nancy

"Some of the best memories are created in flip flops"

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Morning All! Got up late today, guess the week has caught up with me..............yawn! Coffee making, and waiting for DH to holler out "COFFEE!"

Smiles, hugs and prayers for here this morning that need them. Thanks Sandy for the links! DH has been inquiring about booties, shaking head here. I'll bet he sneaked around Google, LOL!

Once caffeinated, am off to run things over for BFF, then will surprise her with a catfish dinner tonight. LOL, hospital food after two days is like, well.....................you know! Has warmed up a lot here, and rain today, heavy rain and severe storms tomorrow ALL DAY! If there's a light show presented by Mother Nature, I don't sew, hate for anything to happen to my machine, even though there's a super protector it's hooked into. Otherwise, making sure I have all the things I need for a small Thanksgiving dinner for the two of us. Sewing and general putzing around..................hmmmm, perhaps I should take the "tornado" effect off my portion of the office.................uh, never mind, got a project going..........later, LOL!

Hugs and Blessings to all, and especially those that need them!
    What do you mean I'm easily distracted..........HEY LOOK......FABRIC!!!!

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Good morning! I grew up with coal then later oil stoves. In the winter at bedtime, I'd heat my quilt by the stove then run and jump in bed before it had time to cool. When DH and I married, we had wood heat for many years. First a sheet-iron stove that would get so hot sometimes that it glowed red, then we got a used "automatic" wood stove with a brick-lined fire box and a fan. We were "uptown" then. LOL! DH cut the wood and it was my job to keep the fire stoked and the big woodbox by the back door filled. We have a wood stove in the basement now, but it's not used for much except burning paper since we got the propane fireplace. I love my little fireplace!

This morning I sent yardage estimates and my charges to the fellow who wants me to make him a quilt. I really hope he decides the cost will be too much. I enjoy my hobby and I want to keep it that way...just a hobby!
    *~* Myrna *~*
    *~* Quilters lead pieceful lives *~*