Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Binding

Binding Belle

Post Thanks / Like

Cool Binding

Since I am still gathering my material and tools for my first baby quilt I would like to ask a question.

I saw a video (can't recall where) on the internet that had the backing a little larger than the quilt and folded it over to make a binding. It really was pretty since the quilt was reversible too.

But, since I am new to quilting do you think this is too big of an undertaking? Should I stick to the way the Missouri Quilt baby blanket shows? Separate binding and separate backing?

Thank you

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Binding

I have never done the "Self-binding" technique. It looks fairly simple, but sometimes those are the things that give me the most problems.

I always take my binding questions to Her Royal Majesty, The Exalted Goddess of Binding (boB bows head in reverence). Stitching Woman AKA Bernice. Not only does she quilt her own quilts, she does a lot of the binding at M* in the Quilting Room.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I have never used this technique either. My Mom uses this technique though. Cluck Cluck Sew: Binding a quilt with the quilt back
    This is the first time I tried to drop a link so I hope it works.

The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

I plan to try it on my quilt coming back soon. I figure if it doesn't work out I just rip it out, cut it off and do the regular binding. Good luck on your first quilt & welcome to the forum!!

Prairie Pointer

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you for the link

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Good luck! The Exalted Queen of Binding told me the self binding thing wasn't for her, you may be on your own there!

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I did the self binding on some table runners, and I felt it was trickier than regular binding. i wouldn't advise it for a new quilter - unless you are already an adept sewist.
    If you are not willing to learn, no one can help you. If you are determined to learn, no one can stop you.- Zig Ziglar

Binding Belle

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Bob for the information. I am so new I have no idea it was even called self binding lol.

Quote Originally Posted by BobW View Post
    I have never done the "Self-binding" technique. It looks fairly simple, but sometimes those are the things that give me the most problems.

I always take my binding questions to Her Royal Majesty, The Exalted Goddess of Binding (boB bows head in reverence). Stitching Woman AKA Bernice. Not only does she quilt her own quilts, she does a lot of the binding at M* in the Quilting Room.

Binding Belle

Post Thanks / Like

Gina it worked!!! Thanks so much for the link! Now I can review it and see if that is the way I want to go.

Quote Originally Posted by Gina View Post
    I have never used this technique either. My Mom uses this technique though. Cluck Cluck Sew: Binding a quilt with the quilt back
    This is the first time I tried to drop a link so I hope it works.

Binding Belle

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Carah for you response and I am happy to have found this website.

Quote Originally Posted by Carah View Post
    I plan to try it on my quilt coming back soon. I figure if it doesn't work out I just rip it out, cut it off and do the regular binding. Good luck on your first quilt & welcome to the forum!!