Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up No more rules or must do this and that first for me!

Having taken on this new venture two or so years ago, I told myself you must always finish what you started and don't have too many things going on at once, and careful about how much you buy, etc. I wanted this to be enjoyable not stressful.

Well, being careful about how much I buy went out the window the first week of having that thought. I was not going to have all those UFO's sitting around - I told myself that is crazy, someone should be enjoying them. Nope - now have at least 8-10 UFO's. Also have at least two unfinished tops. Not sure where my brain was when I told myself those ridiculous, unattainable (in my world) rules. And all it has been is stressful because I feel like I am falling behind and making a mess of things. Who the heck am I trying to please.

Well, the person to please is ME. So, from now on, I am going to do whatever I want, and do it whenever I want. If I want to just do piecing tops for a month or more, that is what I will do. Although, I am hoping with buying my Juki in February, that will help having the two machines set up to switch between. Too hard to keep changing to free motion on my babylock. Gets tiring, and if I want to take a break and piece a little, I have to change it all out again. Forget that crap anymore.

One thing I stuck to was no promising to make anyone anything. If I make it great, if I take a long time, that's fine too.

Thank you for taking a moment and listening to my NO MORE RULES rant. Now I can just make all those fun things Jenny is always showing us - or the fun things coming from all of you on the forum and not feel guilty that I left something undone.

Please tell me there is someone else out there that feels the same way. It is lonely here in no obligations "Its All About Me" world.

Happy Quilting!!!
    Karen
    Life is short - live it up while you can

2. Thanks Minstrel thanked for this post
    The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: No more rules or must do this and that first for me!

You are not alone. I am a newby at all this and I have been this way since I started. I told everyone from the begining that maybe in a few years when I get good I will make you something. This way when I make someone something it will be way earlier than I told them I spent a good month just practicing with scraps my 1/4 inch seam lol. Hope you enjoy your NO RULES.
    ~ Tracy

Designer Diva

Post Thanks / Like

I'll take up residency in "it's all about me world"!

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Karen........it sounds like you have created a fun place in "All About Me World"! Quilting should make us happy and by relaxing so we should all approach it in the way it works best for us. Just this past weekend....I started conquering "My Project Intimidates Me World"........so happy that I got back to that project!

Have fun in your "new world".........and know that you are not alone. This could turn into the DisneyWorld of Quilting! I think we will all be somewhere in that "quilting amusement park".
    "I'm putting together a list of 100 reasons why I am NOT relentless!" - Sue Heck, The Middle

Leonard: For God's sake, Sheldon, do I have to hold up a sarcasm sign every time I open my mouth?
    Sheldon (intrigued): You have a sarcasm sign?

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by pcbatiks View Post
    Karen........it sounds like you have created a fun place in "All About Me World"! Quilting should make us happy and by relaxing so we should all approach it in the way it works best for us. Just this past weekend....I started conquering "My Project Intimidates Me World"........so happy that I got back to that project!

Have fun in your "new world".........and know that you are not alone. This could turn into the DisneyWorld of Quilting! I think we will all be somewhere in that "quilting amusement park".
    Since I am from Florida, I am totally in on the DisneyWorld of Quilting. lol.
    Karen

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I figure no sense in having quilting rules, I only break them!
    Nobody is going to stand up at your funeral and say she had a really expensive sofa and great shoes Life is not about stuff.

Visit my Flickr page, sewing and cakes!
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/90704986@N07/

www.pinterest.com/cathyfiebe/boards

The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

I agree. I stopped the pressure...I have a cross stitch lap quilt made of Annie Fabric. IT was to be for my parents' 50th wedding anniversary. There were married for 64 1/2 years when they passed 10 years ago....and I still don't have it done. My parents were good sports and thought this was absolutely hysterical! All good things............. I used to work on it when we were chaperoning band trips...and I could wrap up in it also....
    Home is where your mother is..........

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Rules are meant to be broken...looks like you are doing just fine. Now about UFOs - well here is what I feel about UFOs.
    Sew Preeti Quilts: Baby Shower Gift = UFO Resurrection

Batting Beauty

Post Thanks / Like

I'm with you. I'm new to this but I've been enjoying making quite a few in the short time I've done this. My step daughter thinks I should make them to sell. I told her no I do this for fun and to give folks something I hope they'll like and use. I definitely wouldn't enjoy taking requests and having to follow someonelse's instructions.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by IBake View Post
    I agree. I stopped the pressure...I have a cross stitch lap quilt made of Annie Fabric. IT was to be for my parents' 50th wedding anniversary. There were married for 64 1/2 years when they passed 10 years ago....and I still don't have it done. My parents were good sports and thought this was absolutely hysterical! All good things............. I used to work on it when we were chaperoning band trips...and I could wrap up in it also....
    What a blessing to have been married 64 years. At least the project gave you all something to giggle about. When you have it completed some day, it will be an awesome memory for you to pass on to the kids.
    Karen