Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Fabric Fanatic

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Advice for new quilters....

One of the most time saving things I have learned to do is to chain stitch my pieces together. It not only saves time, but also prevents you from having to lift your presser foot and I would think saves thread in the long run. I think it's fun to pull out that long train of attached fabric when you're done too!

Quilting Royalty

Post Thanks / Like

My mother in law always does this too! Great advice!

Block Queen

Post Thanks / Like

I try to chain stitch as often as I can. I agree, I think in it saves thread.

Quilting Royalty

Post Thanks / Like

Exclamation Re: Advice for new quilters....

Quote Originally Posted by piecemaker
    One of the most time saving things I have learned to do is to chain stitch my pieces together. It not only saves time, but also prevents you from having to lift your presser foot and I would think saves thread in the long run. I think it's fun to pull out that long train of attached fabric when you're done too!
    I agee on this advice. I totally love to chain stitch pieces together. Jenny taught me how on a Missouri Star Quilt Company tutorial. I had heard of it before, but didn't know how to do it. Thank you Jenny

9 Patch Princess

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by stitchywoman
    Haha! Mom just told me to tell about WOF (woof) she's starting to bark at Jack (my baby) to because of it

For my own tips hmm... Make sure your sewing to 1/4 of an inch. Often people just sew to the edge of their presser foot and that is not always 1/4" (if you do this make sure you finish on the same machine you started on since your measurement won't be exact)

you don't have to backstitch at the beginning of a seam because you will most likely be cutting it again anyway and the seam will be secured when the blocks are sewn together. Pressing also sets the seam and it helps secure the stitches as well

Advice... I don't have alot... I'm just starting this too I'm finding there's often more than one way to do things and that's OK! I'm also finding it's important to take the time to finish things well... such as matching seams & points and binding correctly instead of rolling the backing over. You'll be much happier with it and it really looks alot better. that's all for now but Ill be watching to see what else comes up!
    Since I'm just starting out I'm not quite sure what this means. Can anyone help me out?

binding correctly instead of rolling the backing over.

The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

rougealar ....check out the tutorials. They are on the top bar on any page. (far right corner in purple) Their is one on binding. If you still have trouble keep talking to us......we'll help you figure it out!! All these different parts to finishing a quilt can be intimidating.....but you are among friends. Keep the questions coming! Have a great weekend too!

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

If you haven't invested in a 1/4" presser foot, please do so!! You will be instantly happier with your seams. I wasn't going to spend the money...but decided to get one since they were on sale and now I can't believe that I ever went without it..
    Michele

9 Patch Princess

Post Thanks / Like

I have 2 1/4 feet on order