Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Thread: Back pain

Honey Bun

Post Thanks / Like

Smile Back pain

I just finished my first quilt top, the one from the online curse, charm pack quilt wooohooo. :icon_happy.But my back and neck are killing me. Please any suggestion on how to avoid this, is there any exercise or streching that will help me.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Back pain

Hola! Perhaps what I do might help. Take breaks, and since you bend forward to sew, when you take a break do the opposite movement. example, stand in a doorway put your hands on the door frame shoulder height and push like you are doing push ups standing up. I do this at work too when I am sitting at the computer too long. Hopefully this might work for you too.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I, too, have to take lots of breaks when I sew. Try to relax when you sew as tension can definitely cause neck pain. Breaks will help relieve the tension.
    When life throws you scraps, make a quilt!

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Martha, Thanks for sharing about your neck pain. I also have the same issue with my neck and shoulders getting sore and burning like they're on fire. I especially get this when I machine quilt....Barb

Batting Beauty

Post Thanks / Like

I have this problem too. I do have arthritis in my neck and upper spine. The suggestions by Bella are excellent. Use the doorway and push up type movements. Also tilt your head towards one shoulder and slowly towards the opposite shoulder. You will feel it stretch the muscles in your neck. You can also put your right hand on the top of your head and gently pull to the right and repeat on the left side. You will feel these stretching the muscles. I did have to go to PT and these are some of the things I had to do. Also do backwards circles with your shoulders. Keep arms at your sides and just rotate the shoulders. Heat helps to - it loosens up the muscles.
    Jo

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Wonderful suggestions, dear friends, and I have used some of these in a pinch. However, I've found the very best thing is to tell my DH that my neck is sore and that if he doesn't give me a deep muscle massage I won't cook the rest of the week . . . just saying . . .

Also, if you have a Dollar Tree (Walgreens also has them at a higher price), you can get a wire-frame that is mesh covered to put in the back of your chair. This helps you keep a better posture when sewing. They are only a $1 at Dollar Tree and my chiropractor was so excited about them that I got him two dozen to share with his patients.

http://www.dollartree.com/catalog/se...upport&x=0&y=0

I have one on the chair at my computer, one in the sewing room, and one in my car. The only problem I have had is that the elastic that slips over the back of the chair often stretches out too far. I've solved that problem (when it happens) by just tying a knot in it.
    Sometimes, when there's a raging fire,
    it's best not to try to put it out with gasoline.

"...pal carajo con la negatividad..."

The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

Another suggestion is to put a tilted platform under your sewing machine so that the back is about 1" higher than the front. It positions the needle at a more comfortable angle to your body, and you don't have to lean over as much to see what you're doing. My MIL has one, and I thought she was crazy, but it really works. If you have a handy husband, he can built one, or if not, just put a book or a rolled up towel under the back of the machine.

Honey Bun

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you for all your sugestions. I will try them.