Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Shiny Thimble

Post Thanks / Like

Default King size jelly roll quilt - Help!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Animal Print King Size Jelly Roll Quilt.JPG 
Views:	332 
Size:	158.8 KB 
ID:	92577
    I'm working on my very first KING size jelly roll race quilt. I followed Jean's YouTube Tutorial and her calculations and method of putting the top together were spot on. Here's my question though -- on all of my other jelly roll quilts (regular lap size), I have done the quilting myself by just machine stitching in the ditch. I would really like to do the same with this quilt but is that even possible on a quilt this big?? And if so, how do you do it??? I don't have a fancy schmancy machine, just my sweet little Singer. I don't have the $ to send it to a quilter so I really need to figure out how to do it myself. I have thought about hand quilting it, but I have NEVER done any type of hand quilting before, not even on something as small as a potholder so to take on a king size quilt as my first project kind of scares me, but at least I know that can be done, it would just take time. Then I was thinking of figuring out the tying knots method but am not sure if I would like how that looks and I've never done that before either. Here's my issue -- whatever I decide to do, I need to get started asap because this needs to be done by Christmas - yikes! I would appreciate any and all advice!! Thank you so much!

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: King size jelly roll quilt - Help!

Hi Sharon! Glad my tutorial helped you out to make this! Quilting it will be a challenge for sure, especially if your machine is small.

With several of my first quilts that I made, I didn't know how I would quilt them, so I machine tacked my quilt, burying the tacks in the ditch between blocks. Check on your batting, see what their recommendation is for how far apart you can quilt. Pin or spray baste the quilt very well, then start your tacking up every other row, doing 6 stitches forward, 6 stitches back, then move about 10" forward then repeat. Stagger the next group of tacks to be halfway between the previous tacks. It will get tricky in the middle of the quilt, but will be easier than trying to sew in the ditch along the entire row. I would recommend the new owner of the quilt to only wash it in a large commercial front load machine, there is less twisting in these machines, which could mess up the batting.

Or else, have Santa bring you a new early Christmas present, a new machine with a big throat space! Juki 2010, or Janome 6600! Then you won't have any problem finishing your quilt!

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I like Jeans suggestions.

Also, have you thought about dividing it into thirds? I know you would need to rip out the seams the width of the quilt, but you could quilt it a lot easier, then sew the sections together afterwards.

Here's some ideas on quilting in sections: https://www.google.com/?gws_rd=ssl#q...tions+tutorial

I have the Marti Michell's book and I did row quilting in sections when I had a small machine. It really works.
    Vonnie

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I was thinking the same thing as Vonnie...quilting it in sections and then sewing the sections together. You would have to remember to leave a little extra on the backing fabric to give you plenty to turn under and hem to finish off the backing. I have to admit I've never done this myself...just thinking.

Honey Bun

Post Thanks / Like

Here's a tutorial I watched yesterday. She says she's done this with a king size

How to Quilt a Big Quilt on a Standard Sewing Machine - YouTube