• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • SallyO'Sews
    Missouri Star
    • Nov 2012

Dumb question

Hello, Quilty Friends!

It's time once again for "Dumb Questions from Sally the Techno-Idiot"! Today's question is this:
    What is a stitch regulator (on a mid-arm or long-arm quilting machine), and what does it do?
    Is it necessary?
    If so, why isn't it included in the price of the machine?
    Do you have one? If yes, has it made your quilting life significantly easier or given better results?
    If no, do you wish you had bought one?

Photos in your answer greatly appreciated!! Thanks, dear ones!

Blessings and warm quilty hugs,
    ~ Sally \0/
  • Live to Quilt
    Applique Angel
    • Apr 2014

Re: Dumb question

Hi Sally

The regulator makes the stitches consistent no matter what speed you are sewing at. Most people get them, it is quite a learning curve with out it. Takes a lot of practice to get your stitches consistent in size (long like basting or tiny tiny ). I would not have a machine without it. Long time quilters have this down pat. Hope this helped. The machine I have has one and could start quilting right away.

Jean Anne
    Last edited by Live to Quilt; November 5, 2014, 10:00 AM.

Comment

• Carlie Wolf
      Missouri Star
      • Oct 2013

The stitch regulator came with my machine. I just got the machine and have never touched a mid/ long arm before. Yes it makes keeping your stitches even regardless of how fast or slow you move the machine back and forth.

I've just been setting up my machine and have pictures of the progress of the set up in an album. It does show the encoders in some of the pics. Ive only just started trying out the machine itself and currently have it on manual mode which is without the use of the stitch regulator. Yes I very much like the idea of a stitch regulator and would not have purchased a machine without it. I'm currently waiting for assistance from the company because I probably didn't install it properly so I'm currently practicing on manual until I get the encoder working properly.

If you want to see the stitch regulator encoders it is in my album here: http://forum.missouriquiltco.com/mem...-part-iii.html Actually it shows more of the wheel the encoders sit on rather than the encoders itself. I'll try to find a pic to put here. Also I am really hoping to update that album today.

carriage sensor2.jpg
      https://forum.missouriquiltco.com/co.../icon_wave.gif
      Women are Angels. When someone break's our wings we will continue to fly-usually on a broomstick.We're flexible like that.

Comment

• Sylvia H
        Missouri Star
        • May 2014

I don't have a stitch regulator with my machine. With the next machine up, i could buy a stitch regulator for $1000 more. For the next machine up from that, the stitch regulator is included. My machine sales person showed me some FMQ done with the stitch regulator - absolutely beautiful. But, at the present time, I don't want to upgrade my machine. (I'd have to do it on credit, and tI don't want to incur that debt.) I do okay with FMQ in regard to stitch size, but I can definitely see the difference a stitch regulator makes. It is something I would LOVE to have, but it is something I can live without.
        If you are not willing to learn, no one can help you. If you are determined to learn, no one can stop you.- Zig Ziglar

Comment

• JudyAnn
          9 Patch Princess
          • Nov 2011

My new machine has a stitch regulator and I didn't realize how much difference it would make. Really makes very consistent stitches. I love it

Comment

• CarolynK
            Missouri Star
            • Feb 2014

The stitch regulator was included with my Bernina and it is wonderful. To me it helps me get used to FMQ while keeping my stitches consistent regardless of how fast or slow I go. I just don't have to worry right now about that and can focus more on my FMQ and moving the quilt around. Hope that makes sense.
            sigpicCarolyn

Comment

• Jean Sewing Machine
              Missouri Star
              • Jan 2012

I have the stitch regulator on my longarm. I know it is a life saver for beginning quilters. I have used it for 2-1/2 years. The other day I switched to manual and did a sample piece, and it worked out well. I think I'll try the manual mode on my next quilt.

Comment

• lmanna
                Missouri Star
                • Feb 2014

My LQS rents out their long arm quilting machine if you've taken their instruction class. I needed that stitch regulator big time. If I were going to get a long arm quilting machine mine would absolutely have to have the regulator.

Comment

• PatriciaF
                  Binding Belle
                  • Nov 2014

I have a new sewing machine and is the Stitch Regulator the length of the stitches? I mean you can make them short or long?
                  God grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change;
                  courage to change the things I can;
                  and wisdom to know the difference.

Comment

• bttyboopette
                    Applique Angel
                    • Apr 2013

Patricia, yes, your stitch length selection on your regular (desktop) machine is what keeps them consistant. with a longarm without the regulator, the length of the stitch(es) is all about how fast you move the machine in conjunction with the speed it is running. so, if you've got it running slowly you would stitch slowly to keep the stitches consistant. if you were to speed up your sewing your stitches would become longer. a longarm with a regulator allows you to set the stitch length just as you do on your desktop sewing machine. clear as mud, I know.

Comment

• stitching woman
                      Missouri Star
                      • Jun 2011

My long arm has the stitch regulator and I love it. For a new quilter it is wonderful. Like Jean I can switch to manual and do fine now but not when I first got my machine. I would recommend it for sure.
                      Bernice :icon_wave:

Comment

• ilive2craft2
                        Missouri Star
                        • Oct 2012

I only use the stitch regulator mode on my long arm. I can concentrate on where I want to go and not have to worry if I am speeding up or slowing down on curves to keep the stitches the same length. You do get into a rhythm and I could probably try without the stitch regulator, but I would rather concentrate on learning new patterns at this point.
                        Lisa

M*QC forum is full of the best people!

I'm not just buying fabric, I am supporting the economy...

A bad day in the sewing room is better than a good day at the office.

Comment

Working...
                        X