Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default wip 8/4/15 August is here!

Summer is racing by with heat, lots of rain but lots of memories too. Some awesome, some not so great. Such is life.

this week I am determined to get Birthday Surprise done. At some point I'll cut my binding strips and get those ready to attach and then it's smooth sailing from there. If it doesn't start talking to me about what it wants to be completed I'll just let it be.

I'd like to finish some squares of the coin with pizzazz. My first half jelly roll quilt.

That's my plan for this week, what's yours?
    Quilter since 2013.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: wip 8/4/15 August is here!

Haven't done much lately too hot. I have chosen fabrics for my matching margo bag and NCW. see http://forum.missouriquiltco.com/sho...ncw-margo.html . Cut some of that out this morning. Need to stop at Joann's on way home for a hot pink zipper. Hoping tomorrow to get a lot done on this project.
    Iris Girl = April = fabric, Fabric FABRIC!!
    Time spent with cats is never wasted.
    Sigmund Freud

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Great Granny 2 (800x761).jpg 
Views:	51 
Size:	82.3 KB 
ID:	115258

Whipped this out this morning!
    Sherri

"Don't let someone else's ugly spoil your beautiful. " Thanks, Bubby!!!!!!

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Hmmm, not sure what my plan is this week. I had planned to start cutting on the sunset strips over the weekend, but ended up with some poison ivy from finishing that pasture last week, Too itchy to concentrate well, so I've been doing machine research to distract me.
    Just when the itchies started to subside I hit a ground hornet's nest with the push mower last night. I escaped with only one sting (thank you to whomever's been praying for me...it was a huge nest!!) but now that is itching and bothering me.

I'm heading off today for the big monthly grocery trip and pick up school supplies and probably wont have the energy to start anything tonight. But, once that's behind me then I will have the rest of the week night to play.
    I know as I was looking through ideas for things last night I was "itching" to get started on fall and Christmas items.
    Sonic is learning to sew and quilt. .....

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Sonic, did you try the toothpaste trick on the sting?

Sherri, that block looks amazing!
    Quilter since 2013.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Racing is right Amy! Once August is over (our most brutal in temps) I am looking forward to the slow decrease in temps! Promised to help paint today, but no cut in work! Finish up the disappointing Sticks and Stones and simply don't know what will be on the agenda to be honest. Think maybe the heat has me in a "stall" mode here regarding new projects. Nice fabrics there April, Sherri, pretty block! Leah, ewwww, just reading that made me itchy and OW at the same time! Only thing worse than hornets.........and underground bumblebee nest! Have a great day Ladies, off to get coffee, then baseball cap ready for painting.
    Last edited by Carrie J; August 4th, 2015 at 09:29 AM.
    What do you mean I'm easily distracted..........HEY LOOK......FABRIC!!!!

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Amy R View Post
    Sonic, did you try the toothpaste trick on the sting?

Sherri, that block looks amazing!
    No. I actually forgot about that trick. Thanks for reminding me.
    I did monitor my breathing though. Having a kiddo who has to carry an Epi-Pen 24/7 makes me think differently about things like this now. In the past mud, clay, or toothpaste would have been my first thought.... beyond being thankful to have not been totally swarmed.
    Sonic is learning to sew and quilt. .....

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I haven't been in my sewing room in soooooo long I hope I still know how to turn on my machine. I need to get busy on a pink and black quilt. It is a birthday gift for one of my nieces friends. I'm going to have to go with one of my speedy (to me) patterns. Let's see....Falling Charms or maybe the one where I slice a layer cake in half. Need to go dig in my stash and see what I've got.
    Anita G.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Hugs to Sonic. Hope your week improves rapidly.

I have multiple doctors appointments this week, but plan to start assembling the blocks together on my Echoes quilt. I must have done something incorrectly because I am having to pin match and stretch every place where the isosceles triangle block meets the snowball block. Big sigh. That is why this is my skill building challenge quilt. At least I know how to fix it (stretching does count as a fix, right?)
    Stash Treasure Acquisitions Beyond Life Expectancy. My stash keeps me STABLE, oh yeah.... and dark chocolate.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Stretching is merely convincing the fabric to behave as it should.

I'm going to start assembling my Sunny Lanes today.

I like to use Caladryl (generic equivalent) on poison ivy, stings and bites. Really helps with the itching. I get the clear kind so it doesn't show--anyone else remember being painted up with the old calamine lotion? My parents thought if medicine didn't burn or leave visual evidence, it didn't work--rubbing alcohol, calamine, and mercurochrome were their go-to remedies.
    Courtesy is not optional.

http://theeclecticabuela.blogspot.com