Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Designer Diva

Post Thanks / Like

Default Making tote bags for a local children's shelter

For the last few years I have been making tote bags for a local children's shelter, The Night's Shield This shelter takes in children removed from homes for abuse, neglect, arrest of the parents, etc. When the children are taken from home, their possessions, clothing, etc., are put into large trash bags to transport to the shelter. When the children are discharged, Night's Shield sends them off with three changes of clothing, school supplies, etc. The staff did not like sending things in trash bags, it just sends the message that the kids and their stuff doesn't matter.

So I and several other women have taken on the task of sewing tote bags for the kids' clothing. We have made hundreds and hundreds of these bags in the few years since the shelter opened. I myself have made over 140 tote bags this year. The bags are about the size of a standard pillowcase. We use whatever fabric is donated. If we have yardage, we make the bags a yard long (about 34" x 22" finished) and add handles.

Is there a place on this forum to ask if people want to make tote bags for Night's Shield? Or even donate yardage for us to make the bags? Tote bags could be sent directly to Night's Shield, so there would be no question that the bags are going for the kids. (The street address is on the bottom of the website home page linked above.) If this post is inappropriate or not in keeping with forum guidelines, I apologize and ask the management to remove it.

Designer Diva

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Making tote bags for a local children's shelter

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	220 
Size:	28.7 KB 
ID:	90854Click image for larger version. 

Views:	269 
Size:	34.4 KB 
ID:	90856

Click image for larger version. 

Views:	215 
Size:	40.7 KB 
ID:	90855

Designer Diva

Post Thanks / Like

I posted three photos (and that took me 15 minutes), and they're upside down or sideways. Sorry! I am so bad at computer stuff.

The three photos show some of the bags I've made from donated fabric.

Designer Diva

Post Thanks / Like

Anyway, I thought the readers of this forum might have extra yardage lying around. These bags are quick to make up and I thought someone might want to help out. Thanks in advance!

Missouri Star

Just outside of St. Louis in rural Missouri
    Post Thanks / Like

My suggestion would be to make a group for your project and post it in Sew Together Far Apart Category. There are actually several charity groups within the forum. The PICU Quilts in Honor of Gabe is mine, COC Quilts, and Cyber Elves Give Back. I am sure the generous women of the forum are sure to jump in to help out your cause.
    Blankets wrap you in warmth, quilts wrap you in love

Marilyn......

The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

Many thanks for all you do!
    Rescued is my favorite breed.

Designer Diva

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by auntiemern View Post
    My suggestion would be to make a group for your project and post it in Sew Together Far Apart Category. There are actually several charity groups within the forum. The PICU Quilts in Honor of Gabe is mine, COC Quilts, and Cyber Elves Give Back. I am sure the generous women of the forum are sure to jump in to help out your cause.
    I would love to make a group for this. I searched the How to Use this Forum part and could not find information. Can anyone give me an idea on how to start a group?

And I got one private message from a kind quilter who is going to send me some fabric to use, thank you!

I have made 15 tote bags this week, it's nice to see the "designated fabric" pile get smaller and the "tote bag" pile get bigger!

Designer Diva

Post Thanks / Like

I have had a couple of private messages asking for addresses to send yardage or finished bags. Thanks, ladies (and gentlemen)!

Here is another attempt to post a photo:

http://i1089.photobucket.com/albums/.../imagejpg2.jpg

Here's another, same photo but maybe it will show:

These tote bags are for the kids to haul their stuff from the shelter to their next stop, usually foster care. The size doesn't need to be exact, we aim for about the size of a pillowcase, roughly 20" x 30". If I have yardage, I use about a yard in length, and then sew up the selvedge so the width is width-of-fabric folded. We add handles, either from self-fabric or we use purchased belting, making the handles about 12-15" long, cut length.
    Last edited by Betsy D; October 30th, 2014 at 09:45 PM.

The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

As someone already suggested, putting your request in the Groups section would garner more visibility and attention. Is there a place where the instructions for the totes are found? I did not see it on the site you referenced but I only gave a cursory look.
    See what I'm sewing at http://disfordovey.blogspot.com

Applique Angel

Post Thanks / Like

What a lovely idea. So much nicer as you said than a trash bag!