Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

Default Portable Design Wall

Welcome to Cheryl Anns Design Wall, LLC
    Please give your opinions on this wall. I don't have space for a permanent wall and found this on Connecting Threads also.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Portable Design Wall

Seems like an awful lot of money for something you could make yourself.
    K is for Karen .....................Cremation - My last hope for a smokin' hot body.

Before you speak,
    T - is it TRUE?
    H - is it HELPFUL?
    I - is it INSPIRING?
    N - is it NECESSARY?
    K - is it KIND?

Check my User Notes.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

WOW, I definitely agree, Karen.

Catch the clearance aisle at Wal-Mart and pick up a flannel backed plastic table cloth. They can be hung up on the back of a door and work just as well.
    Sometimes, when there's a raging fire,
    it's best not to try to put it out with gasoline.

"...pal carajo con la negatividad..."

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Carolyn, I had looked at this a long time ago. I thought it was a tad pricey and thought NO WAY, solved my need with a free refridgerator box, and flannel sheets a GF gave me. I modified the size to a spare (and I mean spare) wall I have. Perhaps not full size, but big enough for me to mess around with. Simple tacks took care of hanging it. It's very moveable and not an eyesore either. If I have company, I slap an quilt top on it, instant decoration. Have you thought about using the door in the room you sew in? The back of the door makes a perfect small design wall.
    What do you mean I'm easily distracted..........HEY LOOK......FABRIC!!!!

The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

I just have a corner of our family room. No wall space at all.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

You could get a couple pieces of foam board, hinge it together with duct tape and cover it with flannel, When you need to take it down, fold it in half and slip it behind something or under a bed.
    K is for Karen .....................Cremation - My last hope for a smokin' hot body.

Before you speak,
    T - is it TRUE?
    H - is it HELPFUL?
    I - is it INSPIRING?
    N - is it NECESSARY?
    K - is it KIND?

Check my User Notes.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I agree with the others about the cost being too high. Personally, I would rather spent that money on quilting fabric.

Dh fixed me a design wall out of pvc pipe. Then I used flannel that I bought on sale to cover it. It comes apart and can easily be stored.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Another idea of a quick and inexpensive one - especially since you don't have much room, would be to buy one of those folding cardboard stands that they use for business presentations - they come sometimes trifolded and open up to about 5 foot - maybe close to 30-32 inches tall. I'll bet if you are close to a Michaels or Hobby Lobby you could easily find one there - or a business supply store. A couple yards of flannel which is often on sale at Jo-Anns and you are set.

I've also seen someone use a rolling window shade with flannel over it - use rubber cement to adhere it.
    Sometimes, when there's a raging fire,
    it's best not to try to put it out with gasoline.

"...pal carajo con la negatividad..."

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

it seems expensive but if your not handy to build your own then I would say go for it. I love having a design wall and think it makes a world of difference. I got mine from keepsake quilting years ago, it attaches to the wall.

Batting Beauty

Post Thanks / Like

Just a thought from something I did and my husband helped with. I bought two sizes of cork boards at Walmart, maybe $13 for the big one (18X36) and I think $7 for the smaller one. I used tacks and put fleece on them, and with an extra music stand my husband had, I just place them on the music stand next to my machine. If I need the smaller one I just use that one, and if I need the bigger one I place that up there. They work great and I can move it to any room I need when I am working. I like the idea of putting the smaller blocks on there right next to me and just taking them off in the correct order as I sew them.

11. Thanks irishrn thanked for this post