Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: school shooting

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: school shooting

I believe there are contributing factors in each area where this happens. Every area is different and the contributing factors are different. You cannot say it's society as a whole either.

I probably should have worded it to say that "Everyone" I met, and saw seemed to be depressed. "Everyone" is a blanket statement, just as "Society" is. I believe that contributors, specific to that area, are causes for this incident. I didn't blame the Indians, I included them in the repressed comment. The area where they live, I hesitate to call it a Reservation. We were all shocked to see the conditions in which they live there in Marysville.

And I don't mean to offend you personally... but in my opinion that whole Marysville area is downtrodden. I really disliked going there. Driving through there, was depressing. My husband had actually rented a house online for our family, and when I got there, I refused to live in it or the area. The yards were unkept, the houses unkept. To me, that is depressive. Actually, I wasn't that impressed with Everett either. Not the parts I saw.

It's Ok that we don't see it the same or have differing opinions. Nothing wrong with that. We have different contributing factors also.
    Last edited by kensington; October 24th, 2014 at 07:41 PM.

Missouri Star

Just outside of St. Louis in rural Missouri
    Post Thanks / Like

I just find it incredibly sad, that this child, felt that this is what needed to be done, regardless of extenuating circumstances. There are always signs and warning behavior. Why didn't anyone see them? Where were the people that should have seen that he was troubled? Our country and world are so much more violent than when I was a kid. My parents didn't have to worry about me getting shot at school. I hate that I do have to worry about my grand kids.
    Blankets wrap you in warmth, quilts wrap you in love

Marilyn......

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by auntiemern View Post
    I just find it incredibly sad, that this child, felt that this is what needed to be done, regardless of extenuating circumstances. There are always signs and warning behavior. Why didn't anyone see them? Where were the people that should have seen that he was troubled? Our country and world are so much more violent than when I was a kid. My parents didn't have to worry about me getting shot at school. I hate that I do have to worry about my grand kids.
    They said he was a popular kid. But, he had gotten into a fight early in the year. They are suggesting it is over a girl. I guess he like her and she liked someone else?

His parents should have seen something. Even if his teachers were oblivious, his parents should have seen he was angry. Or sad, or depressed or whatever he was.

Of course, they will say they had no idea, and they never thought he would do something like this. It may be true. Parents can be oblivious to what their kids are up to. When I learned of the fight club, we called our kids together and we discussed it. I asked all the questions I could think of and many of them twice. My kids were honest with me and the information was shocking. I was relieved to know they had not been in any fights, but sad to find out they had participated and watched.

Our dialog when on for weeks. You have to dig, you have to get in there and find out what is going on with your kids as soon as you suspect something is wrong.
    Last edited by kensington; October 24th, 2014 at 08:34 PM.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

there is no discipline in the home anymore. no consequences for actions. If I did something wrong I got a spanking for it. made me think twice before thinking about repeating the action. My kids got spanked too.
    There is no respect for anyone anymore. I just see it getting worse and worse.
    Dolores

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Recent reports showed kids at the school being interviewed. Everyone of them said what a good friend and student he was. Involved in sports, etc......

Then the news went on to say that he was being bullied. After what my family went thru last week, I can fully understand how that could cause something like this. Instead of dragging the shooter thru the mud, perhaps fingers need to be pointed at those that were doing this to him. Shame on them.
    pat.

No rain....no rainbows!

If you can't be nice.....BE QUIET!

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

From what I read it was over a girl who spurned him and there were twitter comments by him prior to this, as far back as August, that should have been recognized by someone.

Marysville school shooting as student opens fire in cafeteria | Daily Mail Online

I agree that bullies should be dealt with harshly.
    Since you're always on my mind can you straighten out the mess up there?

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I think it goes back to the family dynamic. How many times have we heard, my son/daughter would never do that? Parents are in denial. And, then, what are the bullied to do? They're told to play nice, he/she has a rough home life. It just wasn't like this when I was growing up.
    My friends call me Peggy
    The government calls me Mary Margaret

Proverbs 13:22 A good person leaves an inheritance for their children’s children.

The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

Just so very sad that he thought this was his only solution.
    Ann

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bubba View Post
    Recent reports showed kids at the school being interviewed. Everyone of them said what a good friend and student he was. Involved in sports, etc......

Then the news went on to say that he was being bullied. After what my family went thru last week, I can fully understand how that could cause something like this. Instead of dragging the shooter thru the mud, perhaps fingers need to be pointed at those that were doing this to him. Shame on them.

I completely sympathize with what you went thru, have been there myself but I can't understand this, there is no excuse for him making the choice to kill other students.
    Since you're always on my mind can you straighten out the mess up there?

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I agree. There were other steps that should have been taken. Who knows if the school was aware of the bullying....who knows if they chose to do anything about it?

The just showed a picture of the suspect on the news......he is a 14 year old boy!!!
    pat.

No rain....no rainbows!

If you can't be nice.....BE QUIET!