Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default And for my next adventure... (warning: contains a graphic xray)

It's been an interesting couple of weeks in my family. My mother in law passed on 10/9/14. While we miss her terribly, it is definitely a blessing that her suffering is over. My father in law is doing very well. He's been sorting through the house and is getting rid of things left and right. His house is going to be full of space when he's done. Her funeral was last Thursday (10/16) and was so lovely! Definitely a tribute to the beautiful, caring, compassionate woman she was. On Friday, Jim andd the boys scouted out for camping sites, then set up camp for the deer hunt. The campsite was a 10 minute drive from my father in law's house, so I stayed there. I don't mind camping, but I want to be able to shower in the mornings. Saturday evening, I asked to go up the mountain with Jim and his oldest son, Nolan, on the 4 wheelers. I put on the requisite orange and hopped on behind Jim, camera tucked into the pocket of my orange vest.

The ride up the mountain was rough but gorgeous! I couldn't wait to stop so I could take picctures. We got nearly to the top and turned around. Well, that was the plan, at least. The big rock we were in shifted, pitching me to the left, which was enough to make Jim lose control and over we went.

With lots of prayer and lots of divine intervention -- we're both convinced Jim's mom cradled our heads and necks as we went over -- we made it back down the mountain, me with my arm in an improvised sling because I knew I'd broken something. Nolan got us back to Grandpa's house, and grandpa drove us 15 miles to the nearest ER. By the time we got to the campsite, Jim couldn't take a deep breath, so we were both in rough shape. The ER doc came in to talk to us both, said Jim had broken ribs 5 and 6 on the left side. He had a small cut on his forehead, bbruised right elbow, and sprained left ankle. Then he looked at me, said I had also broken ribs 5 and 6 on the left side, as well as my collar bone. He referred me to an orthopedist, with whom I met today (Tuesday).

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	broken collar bonw.jpg 
Views:	135 
Size:	16.5 KB 
ID:	90222

He showed me this, told me I could be in a sling for 6 weeks an hope it would mend in some fashion. Or he can put in a plate and some screws and it will be fixed almost immediately. My surgery is tomorrow (Wednesday). Doc assures me I'll be back to normal by next week. That will be nice.

I've let the entire family know November is No Drama Month! I'll let you know how that goes.
    If you can't see it from 50 yards away on a galloping horse, it doesn't matter.

Follow my quilting adventures at Quilting Foote

Come join all the fun in our Farmer's Granddaughter Quilt Along!

Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things. (I totally ripped this off from S)

Applique Angel

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: And for my next adventure... (warning: contains a graphic xray)

prayers and best wishes for quick healing for you both.

The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

Oh my ! Remember to cough and take deep breaths . Have had 7 fx ribs,( had 4 ,actually flail chest ,first) and I thought a sneeze would kill me and learned that rubbing the roof of your mouth with your tongue will stop it.. So glad you are having your collar bone fixed,it will fell so much better. So glad you all weren't hurt worse . Seems like your angel mil was there , too .Also use a pillow to support ribs when C and DB ing .

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Ouch! I am so happy you were able to come on hear and tell your story, but I am so sorry this happened. Ditto on having a hug pillow for both of you. Good luck with your surgery. Please let us know how it goes.
    Karen
    Life is short - live it up while you can

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Prayers for rapid healing.... I wore a sling for six weeks when I broke the numerous head of my right arm last year. It was awful... I'm so glad you won't have to go through that.... Blessings...

Sandy from Cincinnati

AKA Kermit

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Wow! Glad that you are both alive. Praying that you both heal quickly and your surgery goes well. Sorry to hear about your mother-in-law.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I'm glad you are both able to mend,but sorry for all the pain you will have to feel for a while.
    Make sure to take care and no more mts. Good Luck to both of you.
    Joan

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

ouch! now see? That's what happens when you go out into that nasty fresh air instead of quilting nice and safe!

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Oh poor you!

Good that the doc can fix it!

Hugs

Annika

God, Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change,
    The stash to make a quilt to help me cope,
    A quilt to give to comfort those I love in times of hurt, fear and uncertainty.
    And the courage to keep on sewing when life itself seems held together by a single thread of hope.

Missouri Star

Orange County, CA and Baarn, Netherlands temporarily
    Post Thanks / Like

Such a shame this had to happen. I'm just glad you didn't kill yourselves.
    Goodbye Europe! Hello California! Home sweet home.