Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Jenny's Scrap Buster Table Runner - Help

I was watching Jenny's Scrap Buster Table Runner again because I'd like to try it for my next piecing project. I noticed that she doesn't say anything about binding at the end. I'm thinking that perhaps she used a solid backing and just turned the piece inside out after leaving about a 3" opening. Then pressed and stitched around the edge about a quarter of an inch? I'd think that would be easier than trying to put a binding around the outer edge with all those angles? What do you think she did? Also I'm thinking of using some of the warm and natural cotton batting that I have around, do you think that would work ok?

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Jenny's Scrap Buster Table Runner - Help

That runner is definitely finished with binding. You can see it when she holds it up in the beginning.

There was a really jumpy edit at the end, looks like they cut off the finishing part.
    K is for Karen .....................Cremation - My last hope for a smokin' hot body.

Before you speak,
    T - is it TRUE?
    H - is it HELPFUL?
    I - is it INSPIRING?
    N - is it NECESSARY?
    K - is it KIND?

Check my User Notes.

3. Thanks Carlie Wolf thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I did this table runner without binding, although I don't think the binding would be any more difficult than the four corners of a rectangular or square quilt. I did put two borders on mine, and used Warm & Natural batting: http://forum.missouriquiltco.com/mem...5-800x600.html

The only issue with doing it this way is if you want to do "fancy" quilting. I only do Stitch-More-or-Less-in-the-General-Vicinity-of-the-Ditch, so I just followed the lines from the center to the first binding.

Here's a double-sided one (Christmas/Easter). I did very minimal quilting on this one, and used invisible thread: http://forum.missouriquiltco.com/mem...0-600x800.html

5. Thanks Carlie Wolf thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I did this one too. I used binding. I didn't find it that much different then binding a quilt. I used the same fabric for the binding as I did for the border.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	203 
Size:	166.1 KB 
ID:	90351  

7. Thanks Carlie Wolf thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Pandabear View Post
    I did this one too. I used binding. I didn't find it that much different then binding a quilt. I used the same fabric for the binding as I did for the border.
    Wow! I love this!!!!! I've done a couple of these and that is how I finished mine off also. But they didn't look as good as this!! Love it!
    ♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪ ~Debbie~♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪
    -:- Circumstances, often you can’t change them. It’s about choice. Some people say “under the circumstances”. I choose to be “on top of the circumstances.” -:-

Pinterest

9. Thanks Carlie Wolf thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Familyjournals View Post
    Wow! I love this!!!!! I've done a couple of these and that is how I finished mine off also. But they didn't look as good as this!! Love it!
    Thanks, this was my second table runner ever and my absolute favorite. What doesn't come across in the picture is that on the pumpkin fabric I quilted a spiderweb. Thank goodness for stencils!

11. Thanks Carlie Wolf thanked for this post
    Batting Beauty

Post Thanks / Like

You don't have to use the binding tool for this do you? You can just cut the fabrics on an angle? Because I don't have this tool because I found a much less troublesome way to do bindings, so I wouldn't want to buy it just for this runner.
    Vicki
    Is a Nine Patch part of a 12-Step program?

13. Thanks Carlie Wolf thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

The tutorial Jenny made, does use the binding tool. You use it to cut the angle and length of the strips in the table runner.

15. Thanks Carlie Wolf thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SallyO'Sews View Post
    Stitch-More-or-Less-in-the-General-Vicinity-of-the-Ditch
    A brand new acronym: SMOLITGVOTD.

Loving this one!! Thanks for the chuckle, Sally!
    Sometimes, when there's a raging fire,
    it's best not to try to put it out with gasoline.

"...pal carajo con la negatividad..."

17. Thanks Carlie Wolf thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Sorry didn't get back to you guys with my thanks earlier. Got a tooth pulled this morning and I'm miserable!

I guess for some reason I was thinking a binding would easily bunch at those corners. Don't know why I was thinking that since my normal 4 corners don't bunch (or rarely). I'm having a hard time seeing the binding with the black borders. I'm guessing that her binding starts out as a 1 1/2 inch strip?

I had bought the binding tool a few weeks ago just to do this. Also I had loused up the Everest Stonehenge layer cake I bought. I had wanted to do something in the Summer in the Park Revamped only to realize that that uses a jelly roll. So not thinking I cut the layer cake into 2 1/2 inch strips. Yeah I forgot you also needed the length and 2 1/2 inch x 10" strips were just not going to cut it so to speak. So that mistake is being turned into several other projects. The scrap buster table runner is lovely and so flexible. I love the ones you guys did. Hope mine turns out as good!!

Sally O Sews since you didn't do binding did you sew around the sides and then turn it? K I did notice that the tutorial ended abruptly and wondered about it but didn't think much past it.

Thank you all so much for your thoughts.
    Last edited by Carlie Wolf; October 23rd, 2014 at 05:39 PM.