Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Let's talk thread

What is your favorite thread for piecing? Are you a white thread on most fabrics kind of gal or do you coordinate with whatever you are putting together? Do you use different bobbin thread than top thread?

Spill it ladies......
    Michele

Quilting Royalty

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Let's talk thread

I like to coordinate. But that's just me.

matchy-matchy I say!

The Guild President

Searching for inspiration :) in other words... I'm here!
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm white or black thread type of girl unless it's gonna show I like to make as little work as possible for myself

Once your on the top it's got to match or atleast coordinate depending on your desired end result. It's gotta look good!
    To stitch or not to stitch... There is no question.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by stitchywoman
    I'm white or black thread type of girl unless it's gonna show I like to make as little work as possible for myself

Once your on the top it's got to match or atleast coordinate depending on your desired end result. It's gotta look good!

I agree. I'm really interested in trying some variegated thread on a top...I love the look I've seen on others and just want to try it for myself.
    Michele

The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

I like guetterman thread. I also have heard that you should usually use beige, gray or white....they are the most versatile. That was coming from an amazing applique-r, and I trust her judgment. BUT.....what do I know!?!?
    I am gonna say though, that I didn't ever know how much of a difference good thread makes. It's HUGE.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by sewhot
    I like guetterman thread. I also have heard that you should usually use beige, gray or white....they are the most versatile. That was coming from an amazing applique-r, and I trust her judgment. BUT.....what do I know!?!?
    I am gonna say though, that I didn't ever know how much of a difference good thread makes. It's HUGE.
    this brings up a good talking point...brand...though most likely it is total preference...you really can tell the difference between say C&C and Walmart brand quilting threads.

What brands have you found work best for machine piecing/quilting? What about handwork thread? Why do you like them?
    Michele

The Guild President

Searching for inspiration :) in other words... I'm here!
    Post Thanks / Like

I like guetermann as well. This is a good question for the giveaway Oh, on variegated, I just used a variegated embroidery floss on that green "Blossom" quilt and I loved it! I've seen some that are quilted with it and I really like that too! It adds alot of interest to a basic background.
    To stitch or not to stitch... There is no question.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by stitchywoman
    I like guetermann as well. This is a good question for the giveaway Oh, on variegated, I just used a variegated embroidery floss on that green "Blossom" quilt and I loved it! I've seen some that are quilted with it and I really like that too! It adds alot of interest to a basic background.
    ohhh...I can't wait to see the Blossom quilted. You'll have to share!!
    Michele

Batting Beauty

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by shell.scraps View Post
    this brings up a good talking point...brand...though most likely it is total preference...you really can tell the difference between say C&C and Walmart brand quilting threads.

What brands have you found work best for machine piecing/quilting? What about handwork thread? Why do you like them?
    I just love masterpiece by superior usually use the lightest grey as I use a lot of blue and white
    I can't buy it in Canada so get it at the quilts shows in us, but this year instead of going to grand Rapids I'm going to chattanoga and they are not there. Maybe will make a online order and send to aunt whom we will visit while in us.
    Gale

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I use C & C primarily. I use white, black, cream or gray for most piecing unless its something I can match easily with what I have. I love the variegated threads for quilting it blends nicely with lots of colors and looks neat. I have and do use Guetermann, King Tut, Sulky what ever I can get in the color I need. My machine is not fussy and loves anything I put in it.
    Iris Girl = April = fabric, Fabric FABRIC!!
    Time spent with cats is never wasted.
    Sigmund Freud