Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shiny Thimble

Post Thanks / Like

Default My First Quilting Project - Denim Rag Quilt Throw

Hello Everyone:

I am working on a Denim Rag Quilt Throw for my 9-year old son with my husbands and I recycled jeans for him to use through his adult hood. I will not be using any type of batting or filler since the denim is heavy enough. However, I need suggestions on whether I should use flannel or cotton for the back. My original plan was to use flannel, but I'm afraid of the throw to get lint balls. By the way, this is my very first quilting project.

Thank you all in advance for your kind replies.

EmmaLou

The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: My First Quilting Project - Denim Rag Quilt Throw

Hi Emma and welcome to the forum. I have only made one denim rag quilt and I used flannel (a plaid) for the other fabric. I alternated denim and flannel squares on both sides. It was made as a gift but there hasn't been any problems with lint balls. Wishing you the best of luck with your new project and please post photos as you go along.
    ~~ Hugs and Blessings,
    Mia

...quilters come with strings attached
    (boy aint that the darn truth !!)

Shiny Thimble

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you Mia for your quick reply. I like what you said you did about alternating the demin and flannel squares on both sides. I may try your idea, if you don't mind. Another question, should I wash the flannel first before cutting. I read somewhere on the internet that washing is suggested since flannel tends to shrink some. Thanks

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Hi, EmmaLou - and a big WELCOME to you. I'll just give my take on this before Mia gets back to you. Yes, do wash your flannel. That is, if you are using new fabric . . . it will tend to shrink on you. However, since you're using your denim jeans in the project, you may want to use old flannel shirts (if you don't have any just haunt your local thrift stores for some cheap ones). Just a thought.

Except for the precuts (jelly rolls, charm packs, etc.) you should wash all your fabrics before cutting in case of shrinkage or color bleeds.
    Sometimes, when there's a raging fire,
    it's best not to try to put it out with gasoline.

"...pal carajo con la negatividad..."

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Hi EmmaLou, and welcome from New Hampshire! Can't wait to see your finished quilt. I agree with Sandy, prewash your fabrics, especially flannel. I've never bought quilter's flannel, but regular flannel shrinks a whole lot (I'm hoping the quilter's flannel is of a better quality and won't shrink as much, but why take the chance).
    When life throws you scraps, make a quilt!

Shiny Thimble

Post Thanks / Like

Excellent idea Sandy. Thank you so much! I'm sure it will be more cost effective buying the used flannel shirts than fabric by the yard. Awesome!

The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

Great advice Sandy..... I agree completely about washing the flannel. Since you're using pre worn and often washed jeans.. they probably wouldn't shrink anymore, and a new flannel will definitely shrink. Here's a lesson I learned the hard way. ... I bought plaid denim from Joann's and when I got it home .... it was very thin and the plaid wasn't even, so I took it back and bought my denim online at Beverly's Fabrics. Just check the quality of your flannel.... and I'm sure your quilt will be awesome!!!!!
    ~~ Hugs and Blessings,
    Mia

...quilters come with strings attached
    (boy aint that the darn truth !!)

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

What a great idea (to buy flannel from the thrift shop shirts) - you learn something new here every day!

Machine Stitcher

Post Thanks / Like

I agree with washing fabrics before using - especially since you're using denim that will not shrink. I have made rag quilts with both flannel and cotton - I like the way both turned out. You can see some in my album with my profile.

Regarding inexpensive fabric finds, I have been getting quite a bit of fabric free lately. I have posted requests for denim, cotton shirts, etc on Craigslist, Kijiji and Freecycle. I've been THRILLED with what I've gotten for free. One lady who was moving gave me three boxes of stuff - 15 pairs of denim, tons of great heavy weight bright colored cotton skirts and shorts, and lots of other great stuff. I washed everything and cut apart the garments. Whatever I didn't want I donated to my local thrift store. Another great find was a lady who said she had a bag of 'scraps' that turned out to include 4 yards of pink cotton - perfect for baby quilts, some stunning gold and black fabric for evening throws or crazy quilts.

Have fun with the rag quilt - they are quick and easy to make and people love them!

Cheers,
    Wendy
    Wendy McClelland
    Mom, Nana, Daughter, Sister, Friend & Curious Crafter!
    www.etsy.com/shop/OrganicInspired

Quilting Guru

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome friend! Good luck on finishing your quilt, be sure to post pics!
    Angela