Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Applique Angel

Post Thanks / Like

Default So over this quilt!

I made a quilt using the Boo Crew jelly roll and the Three Dudes strip piecing technique. It was nothing but problems. Finally got the quilt top done, the scrappy border I decided to make required a lot of finagling to get it to fit just so. In the process I made one set of the white inner borders a little narrower than the other sides. I decide to FMQ a squiggly meander over the top using a green thread. Tried to make them look like ghosts, but the quilt was so hard to move under my domestic machine. And that green really shows up on my wide white borders. Finally got that done and put on the the binding. For some reason, my quarter inch on my walking foot was too wide. So I decide to trim my quilt back a little. It's OK because I always leave about a 1/4" batting and backing before I bind. I trimming along, and then I slice right through the folded miter on the corner. Could not believe what I just did. The binding is sliced right in half! So I rip out that whole section, figure out how much of the spare binding to cut. I went crazy and made way too much binding, but was now glad that I did! I estimate I need to splice on 10" of binding to recreate the corner. Cut it, then realize I didn't account for the 1/4" seam on both sides. Cut another section, this time 10 1/2". Sew it to both ends, it won't lay down flat! I realize that the miter corner needs extra fabric for the flip & turn. It is 1", in case anybody ever wondered. Re-cut another piece of binding, this time 11 1/2", rip out what I had just sewn, and this time it was perfect. I used a straight seam, because I wasn't certain if a bias join would further complicate my calculations. I go to iron back the binding to get it ready for the hand sewing onto the back. One of the miter corners is kind of "crimped." Somehow I sewed too close to the edge when I initially put the binding strip on. I managed to unpick and resew that corner. Took forever because my stitches were so tiny. Got it to cooperate. Look at back of quilt, some puckers. Not many, but a couple. Sigh. My walking foot was also acting funny throughout the binding process, I'm hoping that it's just because I was at the end of the bobbin where the tension sometimes gets weird. My needle down position actually didn't really work. I didn't change that setting. So I think this quilt is possessed or cursed! Fitting, since it is a Halloween themed quilt!

2. Thanks BeachLizard thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: So over this quilt!

Wow!!! You poor thing!!! Nothing seemed to want to go your way Sending {{ HUGS }} your way!
    ~ Rosie ~

Shop: It's Coming Up Rosie

~ The "Dream Team" ~
    "Penny" - Brother VQ2400" ~ "Leia" - Brother PR655 6-Needle Embroidery Machine
    "Rosie" - Viking Eden Rose 250C ~ "Pearl" - Viking Designer SE LE
    "Thor" - Juki TL-2010Q ~ ~ "Sally" - Singer ProFinish Serger ~

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Makes you appreciate what Dr. Frankenstein went through!!!! LOL, think a bunch of us has had the same issues at some point in time, BUT the good news is it's DONE!!! Laughs and Hugs to ya!
    What do you mean I'm easily distracted..........HEY LOOK......FABRIC!!!!

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Some projects just make us work double hard to finish them. Not sure why, just seems to be a universal law. But glad you did not give up and that it is finally done. Maybe you can post a picture of the beast for us???
    Sandy B.
    "A heart that gives will never be empty."

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

WOW!! That was a fussy quilting experience! I'm sure you're glad it's over!!
    Post a pic if you can and we can love on it for you!!
    My friends hear the song in my heart, and sing it to me when my memory fails. 

Eileen

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Oh..... What a horror story.... Some quilts are like that.....you could swear they were possessed.....everything seems to go wrong. I move got to hand it to you, though, you didn't give up..... Good for you!

Sandy from Cincinnati

AKA Kermit

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Yep it sounds like a nightmare of a project you should be congratulated on having the fortitude to do and undo and redo so many times. Binding can drive you so nuts sometimes--but you can't throw in the towel because it is the last thing you have to accomplish to finish your quilt. Hope you got some satisfaction by venting here on the forum. You explained it really well and I really enjoyed your story. I felt like I was right there in your sewing room with you.

Applique Angel

Post Thanks / Like

Here it is!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	HalloweenQuilt.jpg 
Views:	131 
Size:	20.7 KB 
ID:	90865

10. Thanks K2Harman thanked for this post
    Prairie Pointer

Post Thanks / Like

It may have been possessed but it came up beautiful! Great determination = great work!
    ~Kim
    @>--`--,-- @>--`--,-- @>--`--,-- @>--`--,--

Remember to ALWAYS smile, it will do one of 3 things
    1. Bring a smile to someone else's face
    2. Make them wonder what you are up to
    or ....
    3. Scare them

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Because of my "style" of quilting...,,, a lot of my projects go exactly this way... Your end product is fabulous... it's all about the reactions you get when you gift it or someone sees it... LOL... If you love to sew and create.. it's all good!!!! GB
    "Each day well-lived and Happy;
    that's all there is to Life!"