Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Thread: Selling Quilts

Prairie Pointer

Post Thanks / Like

Default Selling Quilts

Hey Everyone,

i am thinking of selling a couple of quilts I made on Etsy but not sure how to price them....need help with that.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Selling Quilts

Describe them, provide as much detail as possible and I am sure someone will price them for you.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I look on Etsy and it seems like people really price their quilts low. It would frustrate me to get barely enough to cover the materials and nothing for the work involved.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

On one of the very recent threads someone posted a link to a calculator for pricing. I had a pretty active business about 10 years ago that was totally handcrafted products (from sheep to shawl, handspinning, dyeing and weaving). So I fiddled with the calculator to see how it aligned with what I already knew in the handcraft business from past experience. It appeared to hold pretty true to form, particularly when evaluating honestly what your expertise level was when you did the article.

I think you really do have to include your hours, just be realistic and perhaps deduct appropriate hrs where the time was spent with learning processes, i.e. take into account that if you are a novice then you will be taking more time because an expert or intermediate quilter has more speed. That is the only area that I think I would adjust. It looks like the chart does make some adjustments once you clarify your level expertise. And yes, if you didn't pay for the materials you still charge for them. We sell ourselves too short!

Just went back and found the link for the calculator: Crafts Calculator

5. Thanks mamajulia thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Molli Sparkles has written great articles on how to price a quilt!

See here, and here.