• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • LoveMyMachines
    The Guild President
    • Jun 2014

#originalsewing#expoOPK

I've been spending time at the Original Sewing & Quilting EXPO this week. I have one more day of classes left. Anyone else enjoying this as well?
  • klgls
    Missouri Star
    • Apr 2013

Re: #originalsewing#expoOPK

I wanted to - but FT work got in my way!
    ***Kathy***

Comment

• Sandy Navas
      Missouri Star
      • Dec 2010

Where were you yesterday? I spent the day there and enjoyed it - though it keeps decreasing in size. It is my understanding that it won't be in OP next year.

Didn't you love the Metamorphosis quilts?
      Sometimes, when there's a raging fire,
      it's best not to try to put it out with gasoline.

"...pal carajo con la negatividad..."

Comment

• LoveMyMachines
        The Guild President
        • Jun 2014

I went after work Thursday and took a day of Vacation Friday to go. It was definately smaller than last year.
        The show quilts were great. They had more art quilts / wall hangings than usual, but the metamorphosis quilts were really striking!
        I also thought it was funny to see a series of quilts and clothing fabricated around Dowton Abby.
        If that show is not here next year, we can at least look forward to a new one! In the summer 2015 Kansas City will be having the first Regional quilt Festival! I won't want to miss that one.

I'll be there tomorrow too. I am taking a binding class and an embroidery special techniques class.

Comment

• LoveMyMachines
          The Guild President
          • Jun 2014

01debbeb3bfc4fe3033e52fc4d631fa192e2604446.jpg
          Overall, my experience at the expo was positive. This is a photo of the class project for the " Modern Pillow". It reminded my brother of DNA... This pillow top was created 100% on a serger.

Skills I was able to work on were:
          - Serger piping from scratch & "Perfect" piped corners. - There was a great tip on how to trim the piping to creat a crisp corner.
          - The perfect, "Simple" binding. A man who is a quilt judge taught how to create full, perfectly mitered simple bindings. I like his method better than using the binding tools I have. After some practice, it was much easier and won't require me to find the template every time!
          - Stabilizing technique for knit or fluffy materials
          - Hooping for pre-finished items
          - Tried at least four different brands of machines.

Oh, and did I mention I cam home with more UFO projects along with some great tools! My best buy looks to be my leader grips for my LA. This is going to save me hours and much back pain!

If you attended, what did you create, or learn?

Comment

Working...
          X