Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shiny Thimble

Post Thanks / Like

Default Should I have to pay more than MSRP for Brother sewing machine?

I am new to sewing and wanted a nice basic sewing machine. I bought a Brother SB530T this weekend from my local dealer for $249. After I got it home I had second thoughts and went back to my dealer looking for a combination sewing/embroidery machine because my son is in sports and wants items with our school's bear claw on them. The cheapest one they had was $800. I didn't want to spend that much so when I got home I went to Brother's website and it showed the MSRP for my SB530T was $169. Why would it be so much more at my dealer? Should I ever pay more than MSRP.? I would think it would be less. The Brother website looks like it has exactly what I'm looking for in the SB7500 combination machine for $549 MSRP but I'm confused by how this whole dealer thing works. Can they get the SB7500 they don't stock it? They are the only dealer in my area.

Thanks for your help! Shari

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Should I have to pay more than MSRP for Brother sewing machine?

If you want to buy from this dealer I think you should go back with the info from the Brother website. You should never have to pay more than list price. I would probably buy online before I bought from a dealer like that.
    Vernona

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I'd take it back to the dealer with a copy of the web site and see if he will give it to you for that price. If not, tell him you want to return it! If he doesn't, then chalk it up to experience learned and next time you buy something like this...first, get the online info first, then go to that dealer and see if he will match it. If not, buy it from the manufacture. MSRP is just manufacture's SUGGESTED retail price...the dealer can charge whatever he wants to for it. ALot of times you can get something cheaper if you buy it from the manufacture as they dont have the over head expense a retail dealer has.But still...if someone finds it cheaper as you have, at least he could save face and give you a refund to the MSRP the manuf. is stating....otherwise, he risks loosing a return ccstomer not to mention your maybe telling others about your experience and then those people go elsewhere too.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Shari, true dealers are afforded the luxury of "mark up", but reasonably so. Bear in mind today's overhead for a business dictates that price point. I agree with Cheri, I'd revisit him, if he doesn't parlay and offer a reduction in price, thank him, get a return for the monies paid, and purchase from the manufacturer. Done and done.
    What do you mean I'm easily distracted..........HEY LOOK......FABRIC!!!!

Missouri Star

Just outside of St. Louis in rural Missouri
    Post Thanks / Like

Any reputable dealer would give you the refund for the difference. The problem may be, that they don't really care about their customer base if they are the only Brother dealer in that area,they can inflate prices because they have no competition, other than on the internet. They may not worry about return business. The other thing you need to consider is that what you have already purchased, and even the lower priced combo machines are considered by dealers and the company itself, are what are referred to as throw away machines. That means that it will never be cost effective to have that repaired if anything ever happens to it. If you have your receipt just take it back and order on line. The old adage remains....you get what you pay for.
    Blankets wrap you in warmth, quilts wrap you in love

Marilyn......

Missouri Star

Orange County, CA and Baarn, Netherlands temporarily
    Post Thanks / Like

Hmmm. I'm not sure what I would do but I guess it's good to check around. I'm going to remember this. Never expected one would pay more at the dealer. I do like purchasing locally. If I have a problem I can go directly to them for repairs, etc. Although, basic machines could be taken to any repair shop and you'd probably get the service you need so I don't think it's a loyalty issue. I often wonder what folks do who purchase expensive long-arm machines by mail. What happens if there's a problem? Do you have to pack it up and ship it back? That's kinda scary to me.
    Goodbye Europe! Hello California! Home sweet home.

Batting Beauty

Post Thanks / Like

Try Amazon they have alot of sewing machines and I've always had good luck there.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Hi Shari,

First, let me welcome you to the forum!

And second, I suggest you go back to the dealer and ask about the price. I did a quick online check and I found it listed for $200. I guess my question would be, are there bonus items added into the package to raise the price? You would be surprised the cost of feet, covers and assorted attachments. Your dealer may have a good reason for the price . . . or not. If the price only includes the sewing machine, ask him to price match.

I hope you have a positive outcome with your dealer or are able to return the machine and buy it someplace else.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Hi,

The sewing/embroidery machine that you are looking at has a 4 x 4 embroidery area, I would at least go with a 5 x 7. I have Brother Machines and when I bought my embroidery machine I got a 4 x 4 (several years ago)....I really need to upgrade.

Here is one on Amazon:

This is an embroidery only machine:
    Amazon.com: Brother PE770 5x7 inch Embroidery-only machine with built-in memory, USB port, 6 lettering fonts and 136 built-in designs
    Shirley aka buckeyequilter
    I work to support a sewing habit that I don't have time for, because I work!

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I bought my Brother Serger online and love it. Wanted to get some personal instruction on it and the dealer wants $100 an hour because I didn't buy it from him. Outrageous since he is the only dealer within 100 miles of me. I went online and found some excellent instructions (another brand in fact) and that was FREE. Maybe your dealer will be more reasonable with your request.

Good luck