Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default How do you keep ruler/template from moving when cutting with rotary cutter?

Anyone have any tips on keeping the clear plastic rulers we use for cutting fabric...how do you keep them from moving? I know being very careful and stand up (instead of sitting down) when making the cut, but still...mine will often move. Sometimes alot, sometimes just a tad, but even just a half-a-tad can mess things up! I have bought those little cushion circles to put on each corner of the ruler but those just seem to elevate the ruler so it doesn't sit on the fabric, there by allowing the fabric to move. Plus that raised the ruler to high for a small rotary cutter to be able to cut. I bought the peel and stick stuff that supposedly keeps the ruler from sliding, but all that does is make the back even more slick..it literally does nothing to "secure" the ruler to the fabric to stop any sliding. What a waste of money!

So, please share your tips and tricks for keep your ruler/template from sliding while you cut! I sure would appreciate it!

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: How do you keep ruler/template from moving when cutting with rotary cutter?

Since I put my O'Lipfa finger guards on (they are held on w/3M adhesive) my rulers rarely move! I love those things. I had only put it on my 24" ruler, but I broke out the 10" one and put it on my 12" ruler this past week. I have one more but will probably save it for a backup. They came in a set of three.......

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	268 
Size:	187.0 KB 
ID:	88816
    pat.

No rain....no rainbows!

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: How do you keep ruler/template from moving when cutting with rotary cutter?

I use a gypsy gripper which is a handle that can be moved from one ruler to another. puts an even hold on the ruler so it doesn't slip.

9 Patch Princess

Post Thanks / Like

I recently applied a thin coat of rubber cement to the back of one of ny rulers. It seems to be working pretty well.

Holly

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Try putting the little circles every few inches. One in each corner won't be enough.

I have learned that some brands of ruler are better at staying put than others. Creative Grids are good, for example. You also may need to move your hand if you are cutting a long strip, e.g., with 24 inch ruler. Just stop moving the cutter but don't pick it up and the reposition the hand that is holding the ruler further away from you. Then start moving the cutter again.

Slippery rulers are a pain!

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I have to say I just lean on the ruler and cut. When I started I seemed to find the 'sweet spot' of weight on the ruler and not much on the cutter. Keep sharp blades in your cutter and find your sweet spot.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

You can always try a Quilter's Slidelock. It doesn't measure unless you use the cutting mat, so you can use with any ruler to set width of cut. It has little feet or knobs that are non stick and and hold the fabric down when you press on the handle. The handle takes up most of the ruler, so it evens out the pressure from pushing it down. You have pressure on maybe 22 inches, rather than the 9 or less inches of your hand.

The 24" does hold fabric for the whole width.
    Home Page - Quilter's Slide Lock | Quilter's Slide Lock
    Last edited by Alpha O; October 5th, 2014 at 07:38 PM.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Duct tape. I recommend duct tape.

I've tried several things but still have issues now and again. I agree that having a truly sharp blade helps - you can skim through that fabric before the ruler knows you've put the metal down - and it doesn't have time to move.

(I've never used the gripper handle though - may have to look into that one).
    Sometimes, when there's a raging fire,
    it's best not to try to put it out with gasoline.

"...pal carajo con la negatividad..."

The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

I bought some little gripper spots from MSQC. Do not remember just what they are called but they work great. They stick on the back of your rulers..it takes 6 or 8 of them per long ruler.

The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

My favorite tool also.
    Quote Originally Posted by Alpha O View Post
    You can always try a Quilter's Slidelock. It doesn't measure unless you use the cutting mat, so you can use with any ruler to set width of cut. It has little feet or knobs that are non stick and and hold the fabric down when you press on the handle. The handle takes up most of the ruler, so it evens out the pressure from pushing it down. You have pressure on maybe 22 inches, rather than the 9 or less inches of your hand.

The 24" does hold fabric for the whole width.
    Home Page - Quilter's Slide Lock | Quilter's Slide Lock