Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: How do you keep ruler/template from moving when cutting with rotary cutter?

In the past year, I've been using the Jordan's method by adding a dumbbell on the rulers. I have grippy stickers and film on all of my rulers. I move my hands and apply weight, but I have an old injury on my left hand and I don't have the strength to push down as much.

Of all the types of stickers and films I have used, I found that the HandiQuilter strips grip are the best and clear. I use these on my quilting rulers and have no issues.

Enjoy life and do what makes you happy. Everything else will follow.

Every day I try to do one thing that challenges my comfort zone.

Block Queen

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: How do you keep ruler/template from moving when cutting with rotary cutter?

There is a YouTube video on this - can't remember the exact name of it but I'm sure if you go to YouTube you can find several ideas. I too have tried the circles, the gripper handle, etc - sometimes works sometimes doesn't. What I use most often is a 5 or lb hand weight (get my exercise that way!) - I have had to find that "sweet spot" to put it. Lisa Jordan of Jordan Fabrics uses one - you can go to their website too

The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

I use a Creative Grid 12 1/2" almost exclusively. For me the slippage problem is from the length of the ruler. I fold the fabric and am able to cut the whole WOF in one swipe.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MHG Winnower View Post
    I've used a similar product on slippery outdoor stairs.
    They indicated that that was clear, but it isn't. How "translucent" is this product? And, where did you put it on your rulers? The full length, or just stippets in some area. Many thanks.
    Here is a picture showing how translucent the 3M non slip bath tape is when applied to a ruler. I placed the ruler over a magazine so you can see how much of the print is obscured. I also put a Creative Grids ruler next to it for comparison. You can see the Creative Grids ruler is more clear than the translucent tape. You can also see I place the tape along the edges, but not covering the entire surface of the ruler.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	100_4879.JPG 
Views:	22 
Size:	101.5 KB 
ID:	157521
    Stash Treasure Acquisitions Beyond Life Expectancy. My stash keeps me STABLE, oh yeah.... and dark chocolate.

5. Thanks quiltingaway, SallyO'Sews thanked for this post
    Quilting Guru

Post Thanks / Like

54 posts to this thread and no discussion about technique- all about the sticky stuff and ruler brands. So...

The rotary cutter blade is what pushes the ruler out of line because of the side pressure when your cutting line wanders. How you hold the cutter matters. Hold the handle closer to vertical than horizontal. Held horizontally the handle becomes like the tiller of a boat. You have more leverage (not the good kind) against the ruler when your cut goes off line. Also the slightest waver at the handle end is magnified due to the distance from the handle to the blade.

Holding the handle closer to vertical lets the cutter follow the ruler better with less input. If you have something other than a "stick" cutter, it may not be comfortable as you get closer to vertical. I have two ergo/safety cutters (45mm) I never use. They just don't do the job.

Blade size. A 28mm cutter will help you cut a straighter line, and last (stay sharp) longer doing it. The reason is simple. The radius of the 45 is larger, and you have more cutting edge in the fabric than a 28. To cut more pressure is required, and a mistakes are more likely to happen. Also the 45 puts more side pressure on the ruler which requires one to "press" harder to keep the ruler steady. The increase in radius of the 45 also causes it to enter the fabric at an angle which pushes the fabric away and cutting is less efficient- almost like a dull blade.

The 28 is smaller so the blade has less contact with the ruler and tends not to push it around so much. Also due to it's size, the cutting edge does not "run into" the ruler as much, and lasts longer- stays sharp and is less prone to nicks. I cut a lot and typically get six months out of a blade on all types of fabrics, and metal rulers.

Table height. It needs to be optimum for your body type and condition. The "vertical" stick requires a slightly lower table height than most use. Smaller blade, held vertically, and the right height makes cutting so much easier.

The dumbbells (ala Donna J) are the only aid I use. I have several brands of rulers, and with proper technique perform about the same. I will say that my Omnigrip rulers stick better than the others but I don't have any problem with any of them with the above techniques.

Sumarben (post 52) was looking for the "sweet spot. You put the weight as far from the cutting edge as you can. More leverage on the ruler. Also, one end of the weight is on the ruler, and the other end rests on your table. or cutting board- not on the ruler, or the fabric. And of equal importance- the angle your weight needs to be to the ruler, is at a right angle. In-line with the ruler and the weight won't hold. Simple physics.
    No- I'm not the test dummy for your dog's behavioral training class.

7. Thanks cv quilter, Claire Hallman thanked for this post
    Designer Diva

Post Thanks / Like

One other important part of the technique - keep part of your hand on the ruler and part on the table (opposite side from the edge you're cutting, of course)... that helps keep the template/ruler from sliding.

9. Thanks DeniseSm thanked for this post
    Designer Diva

Post Thanks / Like

I use a one pound weight on the ruler. Also be sure your little finger is off the ruler on the fabric holding it in place.
    Quilters never die, they just go batts.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you oldmanquilts for post #55. Lots of good info.
    A day patched with quilting Seldom unravels Sharon

Quilting Guru

Post Thanks / Like

Since it's all in one post (#55) I'm gonna edit and add to those thoughts.

My approach may be a bit different than most quilters. My background is finish carpentry and machine work. I'm used to working with materials that are stable (unlike fabric) and with graduations of .001" and .01mm. I've had to adapt methods that satisfy my need for absolute accuracy as best I can. Being a guy with very good mechanical aptitude doesn't help much either. LOL
    No- I'm not the test dummy for your dog's behavioral training class.

Quilting Guru

Post Thanks / Like

54 posts to this thread and no discussion about technique- all about the sticky stuff and ruler brands. So...

The rotary cutter blade is what pushes the ruler out of line because of the side pressure when your cutting line wanders. How you hold the cutter matters. Hold the handle closer to vertical than horizontal. Held horizontally the handle becomes like the tiller of a boat. You have more leverage (not the good kind) against the ruler when your cut goes off line. Also the slightest waver at the handle end is magnified due to the distance from the handle to the blade.

Holding the handle closer to vertical lets the cutter follow the ruler better with less input. If you have something other than a "stick" cutter, it may not be comfortable as you get closer to vertical. I have two ergo/safety cutters (45mm) I never use. They just don't do the job.

Blade size. A 28mm cutter will help you cut a straighter line, and last (stay sharp) longer doing it. The reason is simple. The radius of the 45 is larger, and you have more cutting edge in the fabric than a 28. To cut more pressure is required, and a mistakes are more likely to happen. Also the 45 puts more side pressure on the ruler which requires one to "press" harder to keep the ruler steady. The increase in radius of the 45 also causes it to enter the fabric at an angle which pushes the fabric away and cutting is less efficient- almost like a dull blade.

The 28 is smaller so the blade has less contact with the ruler and tends not to push it around so much. Also due to it's size, the cutting edge does not "run into" the ruler as much, and lasts longer- stays sharp and is less prone to nicks. I cut a lot and typically get six months out of a blade on all types of fabrics, and metal rulers.

Table height. It needs to be optimum for your body type and condition. The "vertical" stick requires a slightly lower table height than most use. Smaller blade, held vertically, and the right height makes cutting so much easier.

The dumbbells (ala Donna J) are the only aid I use. I have several brands of rulers, and with proper technique perform about the same. I will say that my Omnigrip rulers stick better than the others but I don't have any problem with any of them with the above techniques.

Sumarben (post 52) was looking for the "sweet spot. You put the weight as far from the start of the cut as you can. More leverage on the ruler. Also, one end of the weight is on the ruler, and the other end rests on your table. or cutting board- not on the ruler, or the fabric. And of equal importance- the angle your weight needs to be to the ruler, is at a right angle. In-line with the ruler and the weight won't hold. Simple physics.

Some have mentioned having a finger or part of your hand off the ruler to either help hold the fabric, or help keep the ruler from moving around. I'd rather not take this approach. It doesn't require a lot of pressure to keep the ruler and fabric in place but I feel it may compromise safety, or the accuracy of the cut. To reduce this need here's my thought, and I should have included this in the original post.

Always keep the piece you are cutting to size, for use under the ruler. The "cut-off" is loose- away from the ruler. Fabric's gonna move around unless captured by the ruler, and that can affect size and shape. And remember- the "vertical" handle of the cutter will exert downward pressure and have less tendency to push the fabric. And the smaller blade- can't stress this enough.