Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now or

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: How do you keep ruler/template from moving when cutting with rotary cutter?

So do you put the duct tape on the ruler or tape your ruler to the fabric for each cut?
    I have (from Hobby Lobby) some little translucent stick-on circles to put on the back side of the rulers, but they are ridiculously expensive.

The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: How do you keep ruler/template from moving when cutting with rotary cutter?

Not sure if this product was mentioned in previous posts but I received as a gift a product called InvisiGRIP by Omnigrid. I have it on 1 of my rulers and it helps with the slipping. I think no matter what you put on the back you need to lift the ruler to the next cut and not slide it. FYI I don't believe you tape a ruler to your fabric.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I use a clear (translucent) non slip bath tape. I purchased the 1" x 60' (yes feet not inches) roll for $16 at Koffler. Works much better than Invisigrip, sand paper dots, or any other quilting non slip product I have ever tried

https://www.kofflersales.com/p/bath-...-slip-tape.asp

#A638 - Non Slip Tape Bath Shower 3M™ and KSC 1" x 60', Roll
    KSC Resilient
    Clear $16.80 each
    $15.96 each $15.96
    Stash Treasure Acquisitions Beyond Life Expectancy. My stash keeps me STABLE, oh yeah.... and dark chocolate.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Wow, it's been fun to see this old thread resurrected. So many old friends posted, friends whom I've not seen on the forum in a very long time. Thanks, Peace and Love, for posting, and welcome to the Forum!
    Toni ... If I keep sewing long enough, will they make their own dinner?

5. Thanks sydneybean thanked for this post
    The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DeniseSm View Post
    I use a clear (translucent) non slip bath tape. I purchased the 1" x 60' (yes feet not inches) roll for $16 at Koffler. Works much better than Invisigrip, sand paper dots, or any other quilting non slip product I have ever tried

https://www.kofflersales.com/p/bath-...-slip-tape.asp

#A638 - Non Slip Tape Bath Shower 3M™ and KSC 1" x 60', Roll
    KSC Resilient
    Clear $16.80 each
    $15.96 each $15.96
    Thanks for the tip. Good to know what's out there that I never heard of.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Oh, that clear bath tub grip tape sounds like just the ticket. I need to put some in my bath tub, as well, before I do a faceplant. I bet Harbor Freight would have it, or maybe Lowes.

Quilting Royalty

Post Thanks / Like

I too had trouble until I started using creative grids rulers. Now they rarely slip. Ive also got the grippy stuff called steady Betty that helps with my other brand rulers.
    Pam

Beginning Stitcher

Post Thanks / Like

Donna Jordan did a tutorial where she recommended using a dumbbell on the end of the ruler to help hold it in place. It does help me, along with the sandpaper type dots. I found one at a discount store that had a grippy texture to it so it won't slip either.
    Lyn

10. Thanks SuzanneOrleansOntario thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I studied Donna and Matt Jordan's cutting technique and it helped immensely. That and slowing down. I use Olfa frosted rulers.
    Michele

To the world you may be one person. But to one person you may be the world.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Georgie Girl View Post
    Thanks for the tip. Good to know what's out there that I never heard of.
    I've used a similar product on slippery outdoor stairs.
    They indicated that that was clear, but it isn't. How "translucent" is this product? And, where did you put it on your rulers? The full length, or just stippets in some area. Many thanks.
    Of all the paths you take in life, make sure a few of them are dirt. ― John Muir
    We can be many things in this life, choose to be kind! ― author unknown