Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: How do you keep ruler/template from moving when cutting with rotary cutter?

I was having an issue with sliding. I took a Craftsy course on cutting and learned a lot about hand positioning when cutting. It was an inexpensive course. My daughter told me yesterday that she thought that was just common sense, but I told her I seem to have none.

Dolly

2. Thanks SuzanneOrleansOntario thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: How do you keep ruler/template from moving when cutting with rotary cutter?

Quote Originally Posted by Tabbster View Post
    Yes, that works for me too. I found NexCare clear flexible tape in the bandage aisle at either Walgreens or RiteAid. Cheap, does the job, and doesn't hide what you're working on.
    I also use the NexCare tape. It works really good.
    *~* Myrna *~*
    *~* Quilters lead pieceful lives *~*

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I use the Invisigrip too.
    I have found that every so often I need to wash it in warm soapy water and let it dry. It collects fuzz and then isn't as grippy. It's not designed to stick to the fabric, but just give more surface tension to keep the ruler from slipping.
    I find that I do have to lift the ruler to move it to the next cutting, unlike before when I could just slide it to the next position.

I hope you find something that works for you.
    Be who you are and say what you feel
    because those who mind don't matter,
    and those who matter don't mind. - Dr. Seuss

http://www.toggpine.wordpress.com

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I'm going to give a shout out for June Taylor's Shape Cut ruler. I love it and use it for almost all my cutting needs. Just this weekend I was using it to cut diagonals - it worked great! I do most of my cutting sitting down due to a bad back, and this ruler and a small rotary cutter (28mm) does the trick for me. It put pressure on it with my left hand and cut with the right.
    Mary

Love is the thread that mends worn hearts.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I have one of the "Pink" suction cup handles on my 24" ruler and it works for me. I can put pressure on the ruler while standing and then picking up the ruler is easier because of the handle.

Applique Angel

Post Thanks / Like

I bought some stuff years ago, it's like saran wrap in that it covers the whole ruler....can't remember what it's called. and I read something on the quilting forum a few weeks ago about something that you paint on, like the rubber cement, only it's designed for the rulers.......I'm feeling old today, can't remember either of their names!

The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

I paint the back of mine with rubber cement and let it dry. It gives an all-over non-slip surface. It will wear in spots, and when it's worn off enough to bother you, just rub or pull it off and paint fresh glue on it. It doesn't make the ruler ride funny like those bumper things do. You can see right through it. It's cheap. And best of all, it works great! You might want to try a small spot on your favorite ruler to make sure the glue won't harm it. So far, it hasn't bothered any of mine.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I use Curad Sensitive Skin Paper Tape. This is probably really similar to the NexCare that has been mentioned. I mention the Curad because I am able to use tiny little squares of it, which is really important for me. I own the entire collection of Deb Tucker tools, and these rulers are super, super slippery. They also have very precise markings that are often quite close together, so I needed something that would work in tiny spaces. I can cut the Curad tape into 1/4" squares, place a few pieces between the markings on the Deb Tucker tools, and Ooh La La does it make a difference.
    Toni ... If I keep sewing long enough, will they make their own dinner?

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by katier825 View Post
    I like Invisigrip. It's a clear film that you apply to the underside of rulers. It is a cling film, not adhesive, so you can reposition it if you need to. I bought one roll several years ago, and I have covered all of my rulers and still have leftover for future rulers. It stays on. I have never had to replace it.

Amazon.com: Omnigrid Invisible Grip Roll, 12-1/2 by 36- Inch

Also, with the hand that holds the ruler, have your last couple of fingers off the ruler and on the table (opposite side of the blade of course). That helps to steady it.
    This is what I bought...and they still slide.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Carrie J View Post
    I use those sticky dot things that have kind of a sandpapery feel to them. Just put them down the sides of my long rulers, and the shorter ones. On the longer rulers I usually steady with my left hand, with pinkie off the side. Can make a continuous cut the length of the ruler without movement. Making sure your rotary blade is sharp is def advantageous. Rocking that sucker back and forth kinda defeats the purpose of cutting fabric!!! and that it is not at a slant. Oh, and those rolls off clear hospital tape, yeah they work great too!
    I have those little dots on the four corners...but it still moves. Maybe I need to put a few within the ruler area.