Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: How do you keep ruler/template from moving when cutting with rotary cutter?

When using a long ruler, never cut further (or is it farther?) than you can apply pressure. Instead, apply pressure to the lower half (or third) and cut just to where your hand ends. Then stop cutting and gently walk your fingers up the ruler. Press and repeat the cut until you are done.
    Life, Liberty, and the Pursuit of Fabric
    Martina (aka MadQuilter in other forums)

Designer Diva

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: How do you keep ruler/template from moving when cutting with rotary cutter?

I also want to add to make sure you have a sharp blade on your rotary cutter. Cutting fabric should be effortless. The more pressure you have to use to cut, the more pressure you need to hold down your ruler. In this scenario, if you slip the consequences can be dangerous.

It's kinda like shaving- it's always safer with a newer sharp blade.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

If I hold my cutter straight, that helps a ton. I have a habit of leaning the blade into the ruler and that causes it to slide.

I put the clear medical tape, the kind with little ridges, on my rules and that seemed to help as much as anything else I have tried. I am going to try the rubber cement when I think to buy some.

Once I used some of that sticky clear rubbery stuff that comes underneath new credit cards. The stuff that holds them to the card and that held my ruler just perfect, no sliding at all! I googled it and couldn't find a way to buy small amounts for quilting rulers...It's so sticky, you would need to replace it every now and then because of threads and such. But it works really well!

Machine Stitcher

Post Thanks / Like

Just roll some packaging tape and place on the back of the ruler-it won't slip! Cheap solution!

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I like Invisigrip. It's a clear film that you apply to the underside of rulers. It is a cling film, not adhesive, so you can reposition it if you need to. I bought one roll several years ago, and I have covered all of my rulers and still have leftover for future rulers. It stays on. I have never had to replace it.

Amazon.com: Omnigrid Invisible Grip Roll, 12-1/2 by 36- Inch

Also, with the hand that holds the ruler, have your last couple of fingers off the ruler and on the table (opposite side of the blade of course). That helps to steady it.

Rotary Pro

Post Thanks / Like

Not inexpensive, but the martelli ruler works

4 Patch Pro

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Slokarma View Post
    I put the clear medical tape, the kind with little ridges, on my rules and that seemed to help as much as anything else I have tried.
    Yes, that works for me too. I found NexCare clear flexible tape in the bandage aisle at either Walgreens or RiteAid. Cheap, does the job, and doesn't hide what you're working on.

Batting Beauty

Post Thanks / Like

I found the Grip Strips from Guidelines4Quilting work really well. Also, less expensive are the little circles of sand paper you can get in a package at most quilt shops.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sandy Navas View Post
    Duct tape. I recommend duct tape.

I've tried several things but still have issues now and again. I agree that having a truly sharp blade helps - you can skim through that fabric before the ruler knows you've put the metal down - and it doesn't have time to move.

(I've never used the gripper handle though - may have to look into that one).
    Sandy, I have the large gripper and use it all the time - it seems I don't have to apply as much pressure if I use it and less slipping. Haven't tried duct tape - may give that a try on my smaller rulers.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I use those sticky dot things that have kind of a sandpapery feel to them. Just put them down the sides of my long rulers, and the shorter ones. On the longer rulers I usually steady with my left hand, with pinkie off the side. Can make a continuous cut the length of the ruler without movement. Making sure your rotary blade is sharp is def advantageous. Rocking that sucker back and forth kinda defeats the purpose of cutting fabric!!! and that it is not at a slant. Oh, and those rolls off clear hospital tape, yeah they work great too!
    What do you mean I'm easily distracted..........HEY LOOK......FABRIC!!!!