Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Anyone watch Masterpiece Mystery's Breathless?

We have watched the first episode of Breathless but not the last two, waiting for time when there is nothing else to watch, we were not enthralled with it. I am sorry to hear that it is not "complete" at the end.
    I, too, love Inspector Lewis, Endeavor and the others. We watch a lot of PBS. I so enjoy them that we made a special trip to see Oxford when we were in England last Fall.

The Roosevelts has been quite interesting but so very depressing. Poor Eleanor and the children almost never smiled and that was probably for a good reason. Marrying cousins seems odd to me but at that time it must have been hard to travel and meet other likely people. We have one more episode to watch and that involves WWII so not looking forward to it really, more depressing stuff.
    I do realize that we need to be reminded of this history so we do not repeat it.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

DH and I got lost in Breathless during the second show. Sorry not our cup of tea. Have watched the Roosevelt's a little at a time as we recorded the series. Amazing the things I learned. (or maybe forgot I knew?) Love the English shows, they are so refreshing and well done.

The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

Claire, I always thought it strange too about them being cousins but was reminded in this series
    they were 5th cousins once removed so really not close at all.
    I felt so sorry for Eleanor. Can you imagine your mother telling you that you were an ugly child?
    Horrid for her growing up.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Eriepatch View Post
    they were 5th cousins once removed
    Would someone explain to me what "once removed" means? I never did get that.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Your first cousin is the child of your aunt or uncle and the first cousin's child is your first cousin once removed. That is what it means to me in the south anyway.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

When Eleanor was young she was kind of attractive.

Claire, We also visited Oxford on one of our trips to England and were looking to see if we recognized any places from Morse who was our favorite at the time.

The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

Yes Claire is right about the once removed part. And your kids and your cousin's kids are 2nd cousins.

The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

I'm still pining for Downton Abbey.

The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MayinJerset View Post
    Is it over? Otto and wife met with blackmailer (don't want to give details for those who may not have seem this episode) and ends everyone going on as usual. All the PBS stations we get mention are new Miss Marples and Inspector Lewis.
    I started this post back in 2014 and for the life of me I can't remember who Otto was or watching Breathless. Been disappointed this year with so many mystery shows having only a few episodes. Waiting patiently for the return of Endeavor, Jane and what my husband refers to as the drunken minister's show (Grantchester). Tried to get interested in Victoria but somehow even with the rich background and clothes as well of its historic background it's been boring.

PS: Interesting to see posts by some 2014 members who haven't posted for some time. Hope they are all busy quilting.
    Last edited by MissMay; January 9th, 2018 at 12:50 PM.