Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Batting Beauty

Post Thanks / Like

Default Dream Machine ideas 2 options

OK I need some recomendations. I went to the quilt show in Chatanooga Tn last Saturday. I came home thinking I wanted a sitdown long arm machine. Specifically the Janome 18" because it seemed to sew nice, had a nice expandable table and the dealer is near me. Now after the Quilt Show Fever has abated I'm thinking maybe there is a second option. I've seen alot of folks like the Juki T2010Q machine. I have a Juki Exceed 300 that I love. But after this last big quilt I hope never to actually do the top stitching with this small of a throat/harp again. If I got the 2010Q instead of the long arm I'd have money to get one of the sewing tables I've seen at this store and liked and maybe another used machine that I think I'm interested in.
    So here are some questions-
    -Is the throat area on the 2010Q that much bigger than the Exceed 300?
    -On the sitdown long arm machine how hard is it to do straight lines. I've got a couple quilts coming up that I plan on doing in stitch in the ditch, squares and straight lines.
    -Separate from Quilting does anyone have the Janome 11000 Special Edition? That is the used machine I am thinking about.
    Thanks in advance for any advice. I hope to go this afternoon with my measuring tape to the store and see if any of these options will actually fit in the space I have.
    Take care,
    Susan

Designer Diva

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Dream Machine ideas 2 options

I.do have one thing for you to consider. Take a large, bed size quilt with you to the store. Sit down at the "sit down" machine and place the quilt under the foot and play like you are quilting it. See if the "drag" or pressure when the quilt is pushed up against the back of the machine bothers you. For me it was a deal breaker. I did not realize that the back of the machine would keep the quilt from moving freely when it is crammed up against it and would feel so heavy. I hope this makes sense. Also, I think rulers will help with your straight line quilting. I'm sure your dealer can teach you how to use them if you choose the sit down long arm.

Batting Beauty

Post Thanks / Like

Good idea on the rulers. This sitdown quilter is oriented like a regular sewing machine and the expandable table it pretty big so I don't think I have to worry about it hitting the machine too much. It may need more support on the left side but I have a rolling cabinet that has done a good jub of holding the quilts up so far so I'll continue using it.
    One of my concerns with the long arm is where I'd put it it might not butt up to a wall to keep the quilt from going over the edge and pulling on it. But then I thought I'll just put my other sewing maching and serger on the other end to keep things on the table.
    The other sit down long arms at the quilt show were like you'd mentioned with the body of the machine facing you. I hadn't thought about it bunching up there and causing problems. Both of the machines I saw there that I liked were oriented like a normal machine but one cost twice as much as the one I'm considering. It had a super cool table though but not really as long as the one I'm leaning towards.
    Thanks for taking the time to let me know what you'd experienced. It helped me to realize a plus about the one I'm considering.
    Take care,
    Susan
    PS Where in Texas are you? My daughter was born at Ft. Hood 29 years ago this month.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I don't know the throat space on the Exceed 300, but it's almost 10" on the 2010Q . The 2010Q can also be put on a frame and used as a stand up FMQ machine.
    *~* Myrna *~*
    *~* Quilters lead pieceful lives *~*

Batting Beauty

Post Thanks / Like

Good things to consider. Thank you Myrna. I think I measured my Exceed at around 8. The long arm claims to be 18.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

You're welcome! I love my 2010Q. I'm looking at the Exceed 600 now. I'm glad to hear you love your 300.
    Quote Originally Posted by Equilady View Post
    Good things to consider. Thank you Myrna. I think I measured my Exceed at around 8. The long arm claims to be 18.
    *~* Myrna *~*

Batting Beauty

Post Thanks / Like

Myra,
    I initially looked at the Exceed 600 but I have a babylock embroidery machine and asked myself what I needed all the extra stitches for? So I went with the 300 and just purchased the extension table and knee lift. I love the knee lift and having the cutter on the foot controller.
    So far I've sewn and quilted 3 quilts and just finished the blocks for another top. I've also repaired the border on three throw rugs that have that rubber backing. It hasn't blinked at anything I threw at it. Oh I did a purse out of fleece on the outside and turned a pair of old blue jeans inside out as the lining to use the pockets inside the purse and sewed it all together around the waist band and it didn't miss a step through all those layers. Can you tell I'm in love. LOL I think my husband might be getting jealous. LOL
    Thanks for the help with my search and good luck with your search.
    Susan

Batting Beauty

Post Thanks / Like

First Congratulations Myrna I hope everything works out on your trip to look at the machine you want.
    I want to thank all that gave me some comments. I went to the sewing machine shop today and bought a cheap Queen size quilt at Dollar General on the way.
    I looked at the 2010 but the throat size wan't that much bigger than my Exceed so I dropped that from my list. I played on the Janome Artistic Quilter and had a couple issures but all could be attributed to a short between the machine and the chair (Me). I finally fixed those and it sewed well on the store bought quilt and there seemed to be plenty of room in the throat and across the extended table. One big issue I had was forgetting to put the foot down. I had the same problem with my serger at first. You get spoiled by these computerized machines and their warning. I don't like the position of the bobbin but it takes large bobbins so I'm hopiing I won't be dealing with it very often. Maybe it will be like the embrodery machine and you never see the bobbin thread.
    If nothing happens to change my mind I'll be calling the store tomorrow to tell them I'll take the sitdown long arm machine. I'm getting the show discount plus some extra since I'm willing to take the one they used at the show. I'm going to insist that they service and clean itt before I pick it up.
    So Myrna I hope we both have a good day tomorrow.
    Thanks again for the help.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Good luck with your purchase tomorrow Susan!
    *~* Myrna *~*

Missouri Star

Orange County, CA and Baarn, Netherlands temporarily
    Post Thanks / Like

You mentioned the Memorycraft 11000 SE. I have the Memorycraft 11000. It's a great machine. I've often thought about upgrading to the SE but it's about 600 bucks last time I checked. I keep wondering if it's worth it or if I should wait and purchase a sit-down mid-arm. I use the Memorycraft for every day sewing but I also use it to quilt most of my quilts using the embroidery function on the machine. It takes a while to quilt a whole quilt but it seems like a lot less work than pushing the quilt around under the needle. The biggest drawback to this way of quilting is limitations. I only embroider one quilting design over the entire quilt. That's why I've been considering a sit-down quilting machine so I can sew out different designs on a quilt instead of always doing the all-over designs. It's not high on my list of must-haves right now. Maybe someday I'll bite the bullet and make the plunge. I don't really need it but it sure would be fun to have it to play around with. First, I need to practice FMQ. hahaha
    Goodbye Europe! Hello California! Home sweet home.