Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Prairie Pointer

Post Thanks / Like

Angry yardage in large amounts.

A while ago i asked just how big an entire roll of materials was ... most said it ranged from 15 to 30 plus yards .. So why arnt my orders being cut IN ONE PIECE! In 13 orders i have recieved (and one other order yet to be processed ) i have had one knackered mat and 4 materials come in bits . even with emails saying IN ONE PIECE they come in pieces .. the last i recieved 1 hour ago of 12 yards of backing cut into 2 x 6 yard pieces ..! Since when do backing materials come in less than 12 yard rolls .. Yes i am furious at the moment so please excuse my rant , but it has to be said an order is an order if i wanted it in pieces i would have asked for it in pieces ..My next order includes 15 yards of Backing heaven help me ill blow a fuse if it comes in pieces too . Email has been sent about the order i have just recieved and a reminder IN ONE piece for the next order that hasnt been processed yet.
    Time for a VERY strong coffee i think , If i drank alcohol id probably put in a few nips of Whisky in my coffee lol . hope you are all having a better day than me

Missouri Star

Orange County, CA and Baarn, Netherlands temporarily
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: yardage in large amounts.

Are you able to call them? It might help to speak with someone as opposed to only leaving instructions on the order form.
    Goodbye Europe! Hello California! Home sweet home.

The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

Could it be that they are finishing one bolt, then starting another? Could you just order a whole bolt?

What does "knackered" mean? Does it mean "tired"?

Prairie Pointer

Post Thanks / Like

Knackered as in not useable in the condition found on arrival . There is no option when buying in the store as to buying the bolt .. only option is by the yard . There isnt anyway of even knowing how much is in each manufacturers bolt i dont think.
    Last edited by gemmit; September 9th, 2014 at 10:55 PM.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Most companies do a 15 yard put up. If you order an entire line of fabric, you can request a 10 yard put up. Wide backings come on 18 yard put ups (bolts). The only time I have seen anything less is when I purchase close out fabrics, and it's because it's limited stock and what they have is only what's available.

Not sure why they aren't sending continuous yardage for you. I would definitely call and talk to someone.
    "You've never really learned to live until you've done something for someone for which they can never repay you." ~Ralph Hall

"Party like a BLOCK-STAR"

Binding Belle

Post Thanks / Like

Live in a small town in canada and you get half bolts of 7 1/2 meters by no choice but the distributor. I would be royally peeved if that happened to me and I'd be making phone calls as soon as I received it. Hugs to you. What a frustrating experience.
    🍄 Heather🍄

Batting Beauty

Post Thanks / Like

Hello from perth xxxx

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Yet another reason I'm a hands-on fabric buyer..............

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

If I need something in a continuous piece, I always make note in my order so that if they don't have a piece, they can call or email an tell me what they do have in case I still want it. Also, if I am ok with small pieces, I will put that also...especially for muslin since I cut it up to piece anyway.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I would be furious too. When I order multiple yards, my expectation is always that the yardage is in one piece. Once, when I ordered 15 yards, the company called me to tell me they didn't have 15 continuous yards, but they could give me 12 yards and 3 yards. For what I was doing, that worked. I was grateful that they did not just assume, however, that delivering 15 yards in two pieces would be acceptable.

Since you are in Australia, I see how it might not be possible for you to call the company directly, but I would continue with emails, and not order any more until you can get this resolved to your satisfaction.
    If you are not willing to learn, no one can help you. If you are determined to learn, no one can stop you.- Zig Ziglar