Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

Default Books I Soooo Enjoyed

Hi there readers. I have just finished reading Sweetgrass by Mary Alice Monroe and really loved it. It talks a lot about sweetgrass baskets, how they are made and who by, how they are sold and where. Would love to see one in real life. Does anyone own one?

Have also read and loved the Big Stone Gap series by Adriana Trigiani - or at least as many as I can get my hands on. Has anyone else read and enjoyed them?

Mary B.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Books I Soooo Enjoyed

I've ready Sweetgrass and LOVED it, too! Don't have one of the baskets, but do love the look. I would think that anyone who lives in North or South Carolina may own one - what about that, Blondie?

I have to keep my eyes open for novels that deal with quilting. Before I really started quilting in earnest I read a series and thoroughly enjoyed them, but can't remember the names or author. One was about the underground railroad and the quilts that were hung on the clotheslines at the safe houses. Anyone know about those?
    Sometimes, when there's a raging fire,
    it's best not to try to put it out with gasoline.

"...pal carajo con la negatividad..."

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Hi Mary and Sandy
    I have not read those books - will have to go to the library and look them up.
    Now there are all sorts of sweet grasses used in braids, baskets, wreaths. I have a friend in Charleston and know that she has purchased some gullah made baskets. Here is a link that may be correct for you?
    http://charlestonsweetgrass.com/
    In the Smokeys and Blue Ridge, Native Americans use sweet grass for centuries I understand for herbal cures as well.

Only thing I have ever braided/woven are lavender wands. I do grow plenty of herbs for potpourri, sachet, dream pillows, etc. My lavender this year was just okay. Last year was stellar. I still have plenty from then, thank goodness. I love to put the lavender in some of my dollies so when they are hugged they say thank you.
    Sewing mends the soul.

Do the math; count your blessings
    Laughing is good exercise. It's like jogging on the inside.

http://pinterest.com/vintageprims/boards/ Unless we are creating we are not fully alive
    ~ Madeleine L'Engle

The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

Sandy were the ones you read possibly the Elm Creek Quilts Series. I saw those on Amazon a while back but never could figure out how many were in the series. Some of you might enjoy the Annie's Attic book series, the stories revolve around a group of women who quilt, crochet and knit etc. also have a little mystery to them, they have released three so far and all have been really good. If you sign up to receive them you get one about every month. You find them at www.anniesattic.com and do a search for book series.
    Mary
    A bed without a quilt, is like a sky without stars