• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • SusanNorgren
    Fabric Fanatic
    • Aug 2014

What and how are the Pre-Cuts used?

I am a new member, have never been to a quilt store and don't know a thing about pre-cuts except a bit about fat quarters and the jelly rolls strips.

How many and what combos would I need for a double sized quilt?

Please help.
  • BobW
    Missouri Star
    • Feb 2014

Re: What and how are the Pre-Cuts used?

First of all, welcome to the forums. The pattern you use will make a difference in how much fabric you will need. If you watch some of Jenny's tutorials she will tell you how many charm packs or fat quarters or layer cakes you will need to make the size of quilt you want. And others here will be able to answer your questions.

You will have a lot of fun making your quilt. I have really enjoyed piecing quilt tops. I'm on my fifth or sixth one now. I have several to send to the long-arm quilter. Don't ever hesitate to ask questions, it usually helps if you can take a picture of the area you are asking about.

Let us know how it is going and post pics so we can see your work.

Comment

• WendyI
      Missouri Star
      • Nov 2012

Welcome to the forum! Precuts are great if you can get them where you are. Saves you cutting is all. Watch Jenny's tutes! I wouldnt't be quilting without them. Start simple and you'll be just fine! You already found the most helpful place online so you're on the right track!

Comment

• SusanNorgren
        Fabric Fanatic
        • Aug 2014

Thank you for your replies. I am excited to be here.

Comment

• JCY
          Missouri Star
          • Jul 2013

Welcome from Colorado! I had to look back through the blog to find what I was looking for. Sorry, I don't know how to do the link, but the date was March 18, 2014. It's called: "Pre-Cut Standardization". It tells the sizes of the various pre-cuts & what they'll make. Listed are mini-charms, charms, layer cakes, jelly rolls, honey buns, & FQ bundles. It gives the dimensions of quilt sizes for baby, crib, twin, double, queen, & king. There's a lot of helpful info. in the blog postings. You can learn about the history of M*QC, the progress of the business, etc. Enjoy the Forum & the Blog. JCY

Comment

• auntiemern
            Missouri Star
            • Mar 2012

Welcome from Missouri. Karen should be along soon to give you a link to the info.
            Blankets wrap you in warmth, quilts wrap you in love

Marilyn......
            sigpic

Comment

• Carrie J
              Missouri Star
              • Aug 2014

Hey Susan, and Welcome to the Forum! Precuts are great! Though I do find nirvana in cutting my own material as well. Most of Jenny's tutorials have a list of what is needed. I asked a question not to long ago regarding if I had enough material, Lisa was kind enough to mention the Robert Kaufmann app, use it on my iPad. It's been of great help to me, you might want to download that, it's free. Also I believe Karen has made a complete list of the tutorials here for easy use, but also has varying information on sizes of quilts, etc. I'm echoing Marilyn's comment above. You'll find this a wonderful place, with lots of help and information. Glad you found us! Enjoy!
              What do you mean I'm easily distracted..........HEY LOOK......FABRIC!!!!

Comment

• kensington
                Missouri Star
                • Jul 2012

If I were you... I'd go into the Tutorials and start watching them... that's the best way to get to know the precuts and how they are used. Jenny has so many videos that lead you through from beginner to seasoned pro. It would be so much easier to do that, then for anyone to try to explain it for you here.

You can go to the Blue bar at the top and click on Quilt Tutorials, and off you go! Enjoy.

Comment

• Swedish leo
                  Missouri Star
                  • Feb 2012

Welcome to this great place for all of us fabrics addicted quilters! ;-)
                  sigpic

God, Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change,
                  The stash to make a quilt to help me cope,
                  A quilt to give to comfort those I love in times of hurt, fear and uncertainty.
                  And the courage to keep on sewing when life itself seems held together by a single thread of hope.

Comment

• stationarymom
                    Missouri Star
                    • Jun 2013

Hello and welcome to the forum from Massachusetts.
                    I agree with everyone else start at the very beginning or tutorial #1 and continue.If you look in Jenny's shop or store you can find patterns listed for each precut size.
                    :icon_wave:Joan

Comment

• irishrn
                      Missouri Star
                      • Aug 2010

Welcome from North Carolina! This is a great place to learn all about quilting and how to use the precuts! Jenny is the best!!
                      And there are MANY talented quilters here to help us all get going!! Enjoy
                      sigpicMy friends hear the song in my heart, and sing it to me when my memory fails. 

Eileen

Comment

• Hulamoon
                        Missouri Star
                        • Jul 2012

Welcome! I can't get to the tutes from here. Much easier on Youtube

Hello and welcome to our channel, your hub for free inspiration! Here, you’ll find thousands of free quilting tutorials on how to create stunning quilts, pillows, holiday & home decor, and other unique projects to tackle on your sewing machine. Follow along with our wonderful quilting tutorial videos no matter where you are! At Missouri Star, you can pick up all the supplies you need and learn how to create your very own quilt from start to finish. We’ll help you every step of the way. We've spent years making easy-to-follow quilting tutorials so you can learn everything you need to make quilting a pleasure. Come learn to quilt for free, you’ll find everything you need to get started right here! We release new videos on a weekly basis. Tune in on Mondays for At Home with Misty, Fridays for a new tutorial with Jenny Doan, and every third Friday of the month for Triple Play with Jenny, Misty, and Natalie. Grab everything you need for your first project and stitch along with us!
                        🌺 Lorie

Comment

• easyquilts
                          Missouri Star
                          • Dec 2012

Welcome from Ohio!

I agree that the best thing to do is to watch Jenny's tutorials..... You'll see a great variety of beautiful quilts, learn about precuts...and how to use them, and have fun....all at the same time....

Jenny brought me back to quilting....after about a year of no sewing.....with her warm personality, and her philosophy that you can make great quilts .... Easy ones that look hard.....by using precuts.... A whole new world opened up for me.

You will be amazed at what you can do!

Sandy from Cincinnati

AKA Kermit

Comment

• pokeygirl
                            Binding Belle
                            • Mar 2014

Welcome from Arizona. I'm still a newbie and everything I have learned I have learned from this board and Jenny Doan. I use precuts all the time. I'm not very good with the rotary cutter, but getting better. Just have fun.

Comment

• IndyQltr78
                              Quilting Royalty
                              • May 2014

Search Results infographic on precuts

The above link is for M*s list of what precuts are needed for various quilt sizes. Someone else on this Forum has a great list of links for information, but I forgot to make a notation of her site. I'm hoping she will be along shortly to list her information this for all of us.

Comment

Working...
                              X