Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Thread: What size Quilt

Block Queen

Post Thanks / Like

Default What size Quilt

Good morning ladies and gents (friends)! Happy Friday and Happy 3 day weekend for all those that have it!!! This is a tri fold question and hope they are not stupid!!

What size quilt do people generally make??? I want to make a quilt and not sure what size?

2nd question. Want to make a quilt but for the life of me I can't settle on a pattern! What are some really good patterns that you quilting gurus like best???? DO not have to be easy

3rd question. When making a scrappy quilt how does one go about picking fabric or do you just use what you have on hand no matter what it is???? Is there a right or wrong way for scrappy quilts???

Thanks for any and all opinions and help!!! I am stuck in a rut and feeling overwhelmed with decision making lol. Honestly I never used to have this problem and not sure why I am now. Does anyone else have these problems??

Batting Beauty

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: What size Quilt

Good afternoon friend!

I'll try my best to help you out.

1. The size really depends on who you're making it for. I love layer cakes and one layer cake will give you about a twin sized quilt. Make it larger with borders or more cakes. Here are some links to give you some size ideas.
    Precuts: What can they make?
    How many yards do I need? :Binding
    What can a precut make?
    Missouri Star Quilt Co. Precut Fabric Infographic & Printable! (the printable has incorrect info on fat quarters but the link is good)

2. Some patterns flatter fabric design. If you have a large fabric design you obviously don't want to cut it up into small pieces. Patterns like the double slice layer cake or the tumbler are a couple of examples. If you like stars or points and have small fabric design, maybe any one the "disappearing" tutorials would be nice. The disappearing nine patch is nice because it can work with both large print and small print. By keeping the larger print fabrics on the outer corners you get to keep the large print and the smaller print gets cut up.

3. There are no quilt police here or anywhere for that matter (unless you're entering it in a judging thing). Most scrappy quilts are either made from leftover scraps or from a line of fabric (ah the joy of precuts).

Hope this helps!
    Happy sewing!!
    Tiffany

Prairie Pointer

Post Thanks / Like

Hi,
    Tiffanym has great info about sizes, there is lots of info on quilt sizes for mattress sizes.
    With that said here are my answers:
    1. If I'm just making a quilt for fun I usually try for a double bed size (it can be a to the floor quilt on a twin bed, or a topper on a queen bed. very versatile).
    2. My all time favorite pattern is "Virginia Reel" also known as "Snail Trail". It has a lot of movement and men seem to really like it. Also another favorite is "Country Lanes" which is really good for large prints. About large prints, I do cut them up sometimes because they can create a lacy look in your blocks, especially a "Trip Around the World" quilt.
    3. Scrappy quilts usually mean to me no rules! You can put similar colors together in one spot and have them fade into another color, like color wash quilts. I do this because I'm a scrap hoarder, I have lots (bags) of fabric pieces.
    So I hope this helps, enjoy sewing
    Chris

"What I lack in leadership, I more than make up for in sewing." Sheldon Cooper, PhD.

Block Queen

Post Thanks / Like

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Thread.jpg 
Views:	85 
Size:	73.2 KB 
ID:	85754
    Here is the thread you had asked about.

Quote Originally Posted by tiffanym View Post
    Good afternoon friend!

I'll try my best to help you out.

1. The size really depends on who you're making it for. I love layer cakes and one layer cake will give you about a twin sized quilt. Make it larger with borders or more cakes. Here are some links to give you some size ideas.
    Precuts: What can they make?
    How many yards do I need? :Binding
    What can a precut make?
    Missouri Star Quilt Co. Precut Fabric Infographic & Printable! (the printable has incorrect info on fat quarters but the link is good)

2. Some patterns flatter fabric design. If you have a large fabric design you obviously don't want to cut it up into small pieces. Patterns like the double slice layer cake or the tumbler are a couple of examples. If you like stars or points and have small fabric design, maybe any one the "disappearing" tutorials would be nice. The disappearing nine patch is nice because it can work with both large print and small print. By keeping the larger print fabrics on the outer corners you get to keep the large print and the smaller print gets cut up.

3. There are no quilt police here or anywhere for that matter (unless you're entering it in a judging thing). Most scrappy quilts are either made from leftover scraps or from a line of fabric (ah the joy of precuts).

Hope this helps!
    Happy sewing!!

5. Thanks tiffanym thanked for this post
    Block Queen

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you both for your information!!! The links you provided tiffanym were great!!!!

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I like to limit the quilt width to the WOF. That way I don't have to piece the backing.
    If I have to make anything wider, I try to buy wide backing fabrics.

I try to stay away from curves, too many different fabrics, and those with too many little pieces. Simple design = striking quilt

When using scraps, the idea is to go wild and experiment. Follow a pattern if you must but really there are no rules. If seams don't match, great - it is a modern wonky look :-)

Block Queen

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you Preeti, I am glad to have your opinion and information

Quote Originally Posted by Preeti View Post
    I like to limit the quilt width to the WOF. That way I don't have to piece the backing.
    If I have to make anything wider, I try to buy wide backing fabrics.

I try to stay away from curves, too many different fabrics, and those with too many little pieces. Simple design = striking quilt

When using scraps, the idea is to go wild and experiment. Follow a pattern if you must but really there are no rules. If seams don't match, great - it is a modern wonky look :-)

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

When I think of scrappy I think of letting loose of all the rules. One popped up this morning that couldn't be a more perfect example.

http://forum.missouriquiltco.com/sho...my-sister.html

Lorie

Block Queen

Post Thanks / Like

You are right that is a gorgeous quilt!! Thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by Hulamoon View Post
    When I think of scrappy I think of letting loose of all the rules. One popped up this morning that couldn't be a more perfect example.

http://forum.missouriquiltco.com/sho...my-sister.html