Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Southern peeps....Sausage Biscuit Gravy recipes

Quote Originally Posted by katibeth View Post
    Oh, good heavens! I haven't had really good sausage gravy since I lived in the South as part of my Air Force days back in the '70s. A good sausage gravy can cover up a ton of biscuit sins. My mouth is watering just thinking about it.
    Speaking of Southern cooking, there are only a few things I can think of off hand that I never really developed a taste for: tripe, black-eyed peas, and boiled peanuts. Let's just say I've tried them. On the other hand, I consider myself to be rather adventurous when it comes to food. I've tried rattlesnake, alligator (both of those were surprisingly tasty), not crazy about frog legs, have had elk, venison (yum!), escargot in garlic & butter, shark, swordtail, but most other fish, I'll take a pass. I love shellfish. Okay, now that I've made myself hungry at 3:30 in the morning, think I'd better have a light snack before going to bed. (lol)
    I have never quite taken to boiled peanuts or tripe. In my region, black eyed peas are a given to be on the menu for New Years dinner - I have a pot of them soaking at this very minute! Add to that some greens, fresh pork, cornbread, fried apples, and whatever else is in the cupboard or fridge that needs to be eaten.
    I've also partaken of rattlesnake and gator, frog legs and oh yeah, we keep venison in our freezer too. For those who don't like the gamey taste, soak the roasts in some salted vinegar water overnite. Rinse and cook. You will be amazed at the tenderness and non gamey taste.
    Sewing mends the soul.

Do the math; count your blessings
    Laughing is good exercise. It's like jogging on the inside.

http://pinterest.com/vintageprims/boards/ Unless we are creating we are not fully alive
    ~ Madeleine L'Engle

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I've used the sage flavored sausage and hubby likes that. (OK, when it comes right down to it, any flavor is fine by him!)

Instead of pulling the sausage out of the pan, I toss the crumbled sausage with the flour and coat all of the pieces while browning the flour. I agree that the key to tasty gravy is to make sure the flour is cooked. Then I add the milk to the pan.

I have made this gravy with everything from Jimmy Dean to fresh ground breakfast sausage to bratwursts split from their casings. It will work with whole milk, 2%, reconstituted powdered milk, and fresh goat milk. Biscuits can rage from homemade buttermilk to pop biscuits (canned kind). It all depends on your budget and what you have handy! This is one of those meals that can be stretched to fit.
    Be who you are and say what you feel
    because those who mind don't matter,
    and those who matter don't mind. - Dr. Seuss

http://www.toggpine.wordpress.com

The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

I've got it, I saved this 'thread' under Recipes. Tomorrow for breakfast it's Sausage Gravy (fm this thread), BM Biscuits (fm Miss Kay's DC Kitchen CB - I'll cut it in half) and Grits (the way my mama always made 'em)! We'll see how it'll come out and if my Italian Mr. will enjoy my Southern 'fare'. He'll be reheating the Meatballs and 'Red Gravy' (we couldn't wait, so made it yesterday) for dinner!! A good way to begin 2015, doncha think??
    NC sayin's from my mama n' daddy, a reminder, lest I forget:

~I’m gonna tan your hide. (You’re about to get a whoopin’.)
    ~set yourself down a spell ~~every day of the week n' twice on Sundays
    ~knock you clean into next week n' then some ~~deader than a door nail
    ~can't get blood from a turnip ~~your neck o'the woods
    ~You're just playing possum (pretendin' to be asleep when you didn't want to get up n' go to school)
    "B"

The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

JUST WANNA REPORT - the 'sausage gravy' was 'the bomb' . . . . the grits were just like mama always made 'em . . . . the biscuits were a huge FLOP (Kay's recipe was probably not the problem, trying to cut it down for 2 most likely WAS the problem - although I've never been able to conquer biscuits). However, someone said something like . . you could cover up biscuit mishaps with some good sausage gravy .. and that we did!! My Italian Mr., who usually isn't too eager for my Southern fare, had 2, I say 2 of those sad biscuits all smothered in the sausage gravy and he ate most of the grits - - and that's a huge compliment for me!! JFYI, I've been smilin' all mornin'!!!

~You're just playing possum (pretendin' to be asleep when you didn't want to get up n' go to school)
    "B"

Beginning Stitcher

Post Thanks / Like

When you talk about biscuits are they what we call in Australia "scones"?

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

These are what we mean when we are talking about biscuits:

Southern Biscuits Recipe : Alton Brown : Food Network

I haven't tried this recipe, but Alton Brown's recipes have had pretty good success in my kitchen so far.

Beginning Stitcher

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you toggpine I have saved the recipe. This is similar to the topping I would put on a good beef stew. All the best for 2015

The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by toggpine View Post
    These are what we mean when we are talking about biscuits:

Southern Biscuits Recipe : Alton Brown : Food Network

I haven't tried this recipe, but Alton Brown's recipes have had pretty good success in my kitchen so far.
    I bookmarked this recipe, too - maybe I'll give biscuits another try!

"B"

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Biscuits are an art form. If you can learn from a relative to see and feel how they are made, you have an edge on everyone else. Other than that, just practice and not too much mixing once the liquid is added to the dry ingredients. (The chickens have eaten quite a few mishaps along the way!)

Also be aware that with the way things are processed these days, the older recipes aren't always working the same. See this year's cookie debacle for evidence.

When all else fails, Bisquick drop biscuits in muffin tins work, and my family loves the "pop" biscuits *gasp!* too. The kids like to peel apart the layers and make towers of gravy.

Shiny Thimble

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Nene View Post
    I fry up the Jimmy Dean sausage, after it is cooked I had flour to sausage (I don't measure, just add till I think is right and absorbs the grease). cook till it browns a little and add milk until thickness I want. Can add salt and pepper to taste. I never have any leftovers.
    I do the same, My mom taught me how to make it and she always used evaporated milk. It makes the gravy have a richer taste to it. My mom was born in Texas.