Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Can't stand to be in my own skin right now...

...and I mean that literally not figuratively. It's not a fun feeling.

I started using sweetener in my tea about 4 months ago. I just watched a food documentary on Netflix and I think I'm experiencing issues with the aspertame I have been ingesting (6 packets a day sometimes 8). I am having a lot of eye sensitivity, poor concentration (putting it mildly), weakness in my hands and just overall feeling lethargic. I don't feel like typing at all. It's quite frustrating really. It's really affecting my job and my ability to get things accomplished which then increases my anxiety which just exacerbates the problem! And forget about reading or sewing! uhg. My job involves a LOT of reading so it's very upsetting and anxiety inducing to be sure.

So if anyone is wondering why I'm not around much that's why. I don't know if it's food related, aspertame related (I quit using it today), or peri-menopause related, but right now I just can't stand to be in my own skin!

Anyone else ever experienced anything like this? I'm about done in with all of it but I don't know how to make it better!

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Can't stand to be in my own skin right now...

That stuff is bad!!! I get almost immediate raging migraines from it. That is why I use Stevia....it's all natural, plus it's a fiber! I've been using it for a few years, and I just recently got MM to start using it too.

Give it a try, I think you will be pleased.
    Last edited by bubba; August 26th, 2014 at 05:43 PM.
    pat.

No rain....no rainbows!

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Ugh! Could definitely all be related to both the sensitivity and to peri-menopause! My son has mitochondrial disease - his body doesn't make or use energy very well. It makes his pursuit of high performance athletics a challenge, nevermind everyday. His dietician says to use NO fake sugar alcohols at all - sucrolose, aspartame, etc. we stick to regular sugar. She also suggested no soy based products as well. She says think about it from the perspective of the cave man - if it wasn't around for him to eat, don't eat it.

Hugs! I hope the symptoms abate soon!

Terri

4. Thanks Sheena thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

don't forget that if you drink diet colas or other diet drinks, that is what is in those too. Any pop/soda is bad for you. That is why I drink 98% water, and 2% iced tea with no sugar, or a little real sugar. I have heard other people complain about swelling and other symptoms when drinking diet drinks, or using aspartame.
    Hopefully it won't take too long for it to work out of your system. Hang in there things will get better if you stop all the fake stuff.
    Dolores

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Get off of that stuff... it will cause you to stroke! Plain sugar is better, but if you can find it unrefined (brown) that is even better still)

You can drink Honey in coffee and hot tea too.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Quit the aspartame it is bad bad stuff known to give seizures in some individuals. Many years ago when it first came out , it was in crystal light in an effort to cut back on sugar and calories my husband and I drank this . A lot... he developed a seizure disorder that went away when we watched a documentary on it and stopped using it. Now I make sure no artificial sweetener enters our home ever!

There is nothing wrong with real sugar. The big problem is the high fructose corn syrup its what is making america fat these days since it has replaced sugar in most soft drinks.
    Last edited by Iris Girl; August 26th, 2014 at 05:40 PM.
    Iris Girl = April = fabric, Fabric FABRIC!!
    Time spent with cats is never wasted.
    Sigmund Freud

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Get better soon Wendy. xx
    Christine.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Oh my gosh, Wendy - get off that aspartame immediately!!!! It is an excitotoxin that is very harmful to the body! It actually stimulates the neurons in the brain, excites them, so that they often die. Over time, a person can lose brain acuity, etc. A well-known neurologist wrote a book about this: EXCITOTOXINS, THE TASTE THAT KILLS, by Russell L. Blaylock, MD. This book is a real eye-opener. It is his firm belief that aspartame, MSG, hydrolyzed vegetable protein and other food additive chemicals are significant factors in many degenerative neurological diseases such as ALS, Parkinson's Disease, MS, Alzheimer's, etc. MSG is hidden in many food products by other names. E.g., if a soup contains "broth" & the broth has MSG in it, the label doesn't have to include the MSG in the list of ingredients, just the word broth.

Here's a list of Dr. Blaylock's HIDDEN SOURCES OF MSG:

ADDITIVES THAT ALWAYS CONTAIN MSG:
    - Monosodium Glutamate
    - Hydrolyzed Vegetable Protein
    - Hydrolyzed Protein
    - Hydrolyzed Plant Protein
    - Plant Protein Extract
    - Sodium Caseinate
    - Calcium Caseinate
    - Yeast Extract
    - Textured Protein
    - Autolyzed Yeast
    - Hydrolyzed Oat Flour

ADDITVIES THAT FREQUENTLY CONTAIN MSG:
    - Malt Extract
    - Malt Flavoring
    - Bouillon
    - Broth
    - Stock
    - Flavoring
    - Natural Flavoring
    - Natural Beef Flavoring
    - Natural Chicken Flavoring
    - Seasoning
    - Spices

ADDITIVES THAT MAY CONTAIN MSG OR EXCITOTOXINS:
    - Carrageenan
    - Enzymes
    - Soy Protein Concentrate
    - Soy Protein Isolate
    - Whey Protein Concentrate

Protease enzymes of various sources can release excitotoxin amino acids from food proteins.

If a person wants to avoid these food additives, it's imperative to be a very careful label reader. One has to be careful when eating out, too. One time, DH was on vac. & had split pea soup & a sandwich at a Denny's Restaurant. He's very allergic to MSG. He was sick & in bed for 2 days! When he called back to the restaurant, he learned the soup was made from a prepared mixture, & one of the ingred. was MSG. It's been many years since he's eaten outside at a restaurant. I cook all his food from scratch. The only seasoning is salt.

Well, I've stood on my soapbox long enough. Be aware that you are what you eat. The healthy foods you eat can be your medicine & prevent a lot of illness. JCY

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

According the the pain Dr. we took Mom to, your best sugar substitutes are stevia (truvia, stevia in the raw), honey, and coconut sugar. As a people we have gone from ingesting about 2-5 pounds of sugar per year to over 20. It's in everything. It functions in your body like cocaine and is very addicting. If you can go one whole week without it, you could break the craving cycle. Sugar isn't evil. The quantities we now consume it in are what causes the problem.

She gave us a run down of how the body treats those fake sugars and it was pretty scary. Splenda processes as formaldehyde and Nutrasweet as paint thinner. Those were the two that Mom had been using. She said to take them out to the garden and use them as bug killer. (I don't want that crap on my garden either!) They have always given me raging headaches too.

Since she has adjusted her diet, she has come off most of the pain meds, her diabetes, blood pressure, and cholesterol meds. She had to get new glasses because her eyesight has IMPROVED and we have noticed her mental agility has also returned. I was starting to worry she was headed for the dementia department a lot sooner than we had hoped.

Dr. Heather Tick @ University of Washington has certainly been a blessing for us.

Wendy, get rid of all of that stuff! NOW! All of the powdered 'instant' or single serving mixes contain that crap too. I haven't checked the label on the liquid squirt stuff, but I bet it does too.
    I hope you can get to feeling better soon.
    Be who you are and say what you feel
    because those who mind don't matter,
    and those who matter don't mind. - Dr. Seuss

http://www.toggpine.wordpress.com

11. Thanks Sheena thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I totally understand, as I experienced that as well. For me, it was peri-menopause. But I am sure the additives in some of the foods I was eating contributed to my condition. I wouldn't be surprised if your issues are a combination of causes. But, definitely, cut out the chemical foods. At least, then, if you still have symptoms, you will be able to look to something biological. Wishing you a quick return to good health.
    If you are not willing to learn, no one can help you. If you are determined to learn, no one can stop you.- Zig Ziglar