Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default thread tension issues, help?

Hello ladies! Was hoping could get some input on my tension issues. I have tried playing around with both top and bobbin tension and not getting anywhere. The image shown here is showing what is going on. My bobbin thread is orange, and my top thread is white. The first row of stitching is tension 1, second row tension 2 and so forth. I normally have my top tension set at a 4-5 but as you can see with it set at that you can see the orange thread. I am so confused and not sure what I am doing wrong? Any suggestions would be appreciated. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20140825_183250.jpg 
Views:	142 
Size:	169.7 KB 
ID:	85443
    My name is CJ
    My Creations: Photo Albums

My Wishful Wants List (ha ha)

Boobs and pins do NOT mix! Trust me, I know from experience.

Love: Sewing and reading.
    Sewing Machine: Janome New Home Model 108
    Pinterest: My Boards
    Pets:Have 1 dog, named Jake which is a Yellow Lab.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: thread tension issues, help?

Well, I'm no expert, but it looks to me like you might need your machine serviced. I don't know that you can fix this on your own. But you might try cleaning & rethreading your machine, and if you can adjust the tension on the bobbin thread (can be done on some machines by the user) that might help.

3. Thanks shorte85 thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah I can change the tension, but I am not sure what the tension should be for the bobbin?
    My name is CJ

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I have never adjusted the tension on the bobbin. My service rep. did it for me. I have 1 bobbin holder adjusted for 30 wt. quilting thread & my reg. bobbin holder adjusted for piecing & 40-50 wt. thread. Do you have the same wt. thread in both the top & in bobbin? If you have a computerized machine which automatically sets the tension based on wt. of fabric, you may need to adjust that. I have a Viking Opal 670. For FMQ, I set my fabric weight on woven light, & my upper tension on ~4 or 4.2. All I can suggest is keep adjusting settings until the stitching looks ok. If that doesn't work, ask for help from your service person. Are your feed dogs down? Good luck! JCY

6. Thanks shorte85 thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah, I have figured out how to adjust the tension. But not sure what is correct for my machine. I just may take my machine in. Just not sure if I feel comfortable in doing so. Thanks!
    My name is CJ

Applique Angel

Post Thanks / Like

Well, I have found most tension problems can be solved by adjusting the top tension (MOST problems). Your #1 shows that the top tension is too loose, and needs to be at a higher number. What's wrong with #4? It looks balanced on my monitor. You want the threads to "meet" or "cross" in the middle of your fabrics; each side showing their color, with no thread 'laying' on the fabric. If you say you are seeing the orange color on the fabric, just make sure it's the actual thread being pulled through, and not just the 'hole' made by the needle, seeing the color from the inside. Of course you wouldn't sew with a dark thread on white fabric! As suggested, try cleaning and rethreading the top and bobbin, making sure everything is in the proper tension disks. Sometimes it's an easy fix; also, some machines are quite picky regarding the thread they like, and only like the same thread in the top and the bobbin. I'd try all these things, before taking in for service.

9. Thanks shorte85 thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Okay, thanks TamiLee!
    My name is CJ

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Try in the range of 3-4 for tension. I had an older machine that got really wonky on the tension. Had a local repair guy look at it, no help. When I found the shop I got my new machine at I discovered they had a really good repair shop. Took the older machine in and found out that the tension mechanism inside the machine had gotten gummed up really badly. A good cleaning and I was back in shape. Now how come the first guy didn't find that ....

Good luck in solving your mystery.
    Connie

Our lives are like quilts – bits and pieces, joy and sorrow, stitched with love.

Prairie Pointer

Post Thanks / Like

Like everyone is saying take out your spool and bobbin, put in a new needle, go for a lunch or coffee/tea break. Go back and completely rethread machine. One of my machines gets really bad tension issues if you breath wrong while threading! and loves new needles!! I change the needle in it more than the rest of my machines, although I probably shouldn't admit to that!

Designer Diva

Post Thanks / Like

When you are threading the machine, you should always have the presser foot up when guiding the thread thru the tension disks and then put the presser foot down to thread the needle.