Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Life In The Woods

You girls are so darn observant. I just posted my avatar last night and already I've had several inquiries asking what I'm doing in my photo. Actually, I'm just driving our tractor to help clean up after our tornado of May 2009. It's been non-stop since that day. When you live in the middle of nowhere you get to do fun stuff!!!!!! Of course I'd rather be quilting....!!!!! Barb

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Life In The Woods

When I saw the title of this post I thought it was going to be something about wildlife in your yard. We live in the woods and get animals all the time. Besides the neighbors dogs, cats and even a horse, we've had turkeys, deer and bear.

Hope your clean up comes to an end soon and I hope you didn't receive any serious damage. Glad you came through safely too.
    Nancy

I got a sewing machine for my husband. Good trade, huh!?!

The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

I've learned to be a country girl on our 25 acres! I love it! I was on the tractor just this weekend and also learned to back up a trailer w/ the pickup. Baby steps, baby steps..............

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

It is amazing the things you learn to do when you have to! I don't get to drive the tractor very often, as it is my husband's favorite toy! I love the electric hedge trimmers. I just wish we had more hedges to trim, so I take them to Mom's and do hers!
    Next thing on my list is the chainsaw....
    Cathy

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	My tractor.jpg 
Views:	53 
Size:	208.7 KB 
ID:	6856

This is my tractor. Al doesn't like it so I'm the only one who uses it. Actually, I won't let him use it . . . I took the trailer that's shown here all apart and repainted it, put new wood in place, and use it when I trim trees and pick up brush and downed limbs. Al says since it is a FORD it means 'fix or repair daily' - but I've learned all it's little quirks and keep it running smoothly.
    Sometimes, when there's a raging fire,
    it's best not to try to put it out with gasoline.

"...pal carajo con la negatividad..."

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Okay you show offs! I really need a tractor. Hammer it down and get one of those big boys over here.
    Sewing mends the soul.

Do the math; count your blessings
    Laughing is good exercise. It's like jogging on the inside.

http://pinterest.com/vintageprims/boards/ Unless we are creating we are not fully alive
    ~ Madeleine L'Engle

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I'll send you one for Christmas, Blondie!!

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Blondie, I've always wanted a little Bob Cat. We had a dear friend (RIP, Mel) and he and I used to see one and would joke about taking parts off and shipping them home . . . kinda like Johnny Cash and "I Got It One Piece At a Time".

I want one of those little four-wheelers that has a dump on the back - don't know what they are called!
    Sometimes, when there's a raging fire,
    it's best not to try to put it out with gasoline.

"...pal carajo con la negatividad..."

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Sandy it could be a john deere gator with a dump on back, or cushman truckster. Both are cool. My favorite is the Bob Cat. My husband used to sell them. So we got to use them all the time. They used to have me run them at all the county fairs. We also moved a rock garden from our property when we bought it because it was a haven for copperheads, and I had young kids. It was a riot to see my husband chasing snakes with the bucket. He wouldn't touch a snake if you paid him. I used to move the king, garden snakes etc non poison snakes. I like them babys, they kill rodents. But the copperheads are not friendly so we kill them. Hugs, Jan