Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Thread: Singer 66-8?

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Singer 66-8?

I notice in the other post about how many machines you have (or don't have, as the case may be) that some of you have SInger 66's. Can you tell me anything about them?

The reason I ask is that my friend "caught" the vintage machine bug from me. She found a 66-8 in a thrift store and after calling me, bought it. I have always believed that the vintage Singer machines were very good, so encouraged her to get it. She took it straight to a "supposedly" reputable machine dealer/service man. He told her it was "a piece of junk" that they never did work properly and were not worth repairing. I personally find this hard to believe. Either way, I feel bad as I encouraged her to get it. I may buy it from her just for looks if it's truly not repairable - it is really cute! And, it would ease my conscience.
    Donna

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Singer 66-8?

I've never truly known how to distinguish one 66 from another, but I have several 66's and they are, in no way, junk. I think she just found the wrong repair man (he probably couldn't find a screwdriver with his eyes wide open) and he only knows new machines. Buy it from her - they are so easy to get humming and you will find you have quite a work horse there. Need some parts? Let me know and I'll turn you on to the best sites. Nothing wrong with her purchase. I've brought some seriously sorry looking machines back to functioning and it just takes a bit of patience and understanding.
    Sometimes, when there's a raging fire,
    it's best not to try to put it out with gasoline.

"...pal carajo con la negatividad..."

9 Patch Princess

Post Thanks / Like

I received a singer in 66 from high graduation. It had the first drop in disks, and was a real, so I bought a cheaply singer with just a zig zag stitch and straight stitch from woolworth's, and have been using that one until this year when it broke down. I have just purchased a janome 6600.

Is it worth the money to fix the old singer? The janome will only use gutterman thread, where it could use anything. With the old machine.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks ladies - that was what I suspected! Sandy - the only reason I know it is a 66-8 is the instruction manual came with it. I have a very good sewing machine repair LADY who only makes house calls. Unfortunately not to the area I just moved to, so I will have to arrange to meet her at my friend's house. I will have her look at it, (when I save up enough $$ to have her check a few of my recent acquisitions out) I would definitely be interested in know where you order parts, though. I think I need to learn a thing or two about working on vintage machines.
    Donna

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dwil23 View Post
    Thanks ladies - that was what I suspected! Sandy - the only reason I know it is a 66-8 is the instruction manual came with it. I have a very good sewing machine repair LADY who only makes house calls. Unfortunately not to the area I just moved to, so I will have to arrange to meet her at my friend's house. I will have her look at it, (when I save up enough $$ to have her check a few of my recent acquisitions out) I would definitely be interested in know where you order parts, though. I think I need to learn a thing or two about working on vintage machines.
    They really are quite easy to fix up - unless someone's taken a sledge hammer to them or they have been left out to the elements and rusted.
    Sometimes, when there's a raging fire,
    it's best not to try to put it out with gasoline.

"...pal carajo con la negatividad..."