Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    UN-Biased

Post Thanks / Like

Unhappy Mending and projects for others . . .

On Monday a very good friend said she bought a new suit for her hubby for an upcoming event and would I hem the pants. She said the store did free alterations but she didn't want to drive back to the mall to get them. Got them hemmed; then my sister called on Tuesday (she does not sew) and wanted a t-shirt fixed where the sleeve had ripped out and side seams in her favorite pants fixed before she went back to work (school teachers aide). I love to sew for myself . . . Make clothes, totes, etc. and even more I love to quilt. BUT, I don't like to mend and fix. Does this happen to any of you and if so how do you handle it? This happens to me a lot. Am I just tooooo nice. Help!!!

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Mending and projects for others . . .

I had to laugh when I read your post - today I shortened and hemmed a dress for my 5' daughter, and repaired the back arm seam of a faux leather jacket for a friend of my (other) daughter's whom I've never met. The dress, of course, I didn't even question - I fixed it for her (it is a maxi dress and she was literally tripping over it ) The jacket I fixed to be nice
    I guess you would need to draw the line if you really don't like to do it, or if the requests become so numerous that it really interferes with 'your' sewing time.
    The way I view these small requests is this - I usually gain skills that I didn't have before; I work with fabrics I may not normally work with; they are not paying for it - so, even though I do my best work, I don't sweat it if it's not perfect I learn more about garment construction (through deconstruction) ... if I ever do decide to do alterations/repairs - I have some experience

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I told the most serious offender (twice a month variety) to get lost.

For people that only ask once or once in 2+ years, I don't mind.

UN-Biased

Post Thanks / Like

Your the greatest ... My problem just became something good. Yes, I do learn from every project and I do try my best because I want my best work to go to every thing I do. Thank you for the reminder : )

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I will sew buttons on, fix a seam that has burst open, and hem. But, only for immediate family members. I'm not a seamstress. I know a very good alternations place and they are very reasonable and I recommend them to people who ask me to make clothes or do alternations. I take stuff to them that is beyond my comfort zone - like putting a new zipper in nice jeans. If the jeans are not nice, then they get cut up for a quilt!
    Vonnie

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Where I worked I had requests for
    Repairing a Santa Outfit that was on a doll; repairing a girls great grandmothers quilt; shorten pants-several; replace a zipper in a husbands slacks; repair opened seams in assorted shirts, blouses and pants. Repair a rip in a favorite purse lining; repair a lining in a coat; replace pockets in a coat. I could go on and on! I didn't say no unless it was way out of my league.
    But in return I got Joann's gift cards, fabric that they came across from family and friends and lots of baked goodies! In the end it was all OK!!
    My friends hear the song in my heart, and sing it to me when my memory fails. 

Eileen

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I have done some. I don't like to because I'm not a seamstress and I don't feel like I have the skills. It's only my kids and grand kids that ask.
    Shirley

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

My DH has figured out that if he ever wants to wear the pants he buys, he'll have to take them to get hemmed. I don't enjoy it and it takes me forever. I will sew the occasional button on or some little thing - I'll even make his Halloween Costume, but mending....no thanks. Your friend who didn't want to waste her time and gas to go back into town where she could have gotten the service for free certainly doesn't value your time. NO is a perfectly good answer.
    Life, Liberty, and the Pursuit of Fabric
    Martina (aka MadQuilter in other forums)

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I have done a few repairs, but very minor things. I am not a seamstress. Before I started quilting I took a one semester sewing class which basically taught me how to thread my machine, how to clean out the lint, and what good tension looks like. I hate to do my own repairs and alterations and avoided shortening some pant legs for two years. I finally did it when my old pants wore out. I sew for my enjoyment. I don't get any joy out of hemming peoples pants.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Your friend who didn't want to waste her time and gas to go back into town where she could have gotten the service for free certainly doesn't value your time

Well said Martina.